Is a 4Runner for me?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I was loaded pretty well on the second trip but yes it is stock for now. Not even a roof rack. :)

Roof rack gear and AT tires will typically be a 4-5mpg hit to your average at highway speeds. Heck just a basket on the lid of my subaru was a 5mpg hit at 70mph. The sleek box is a 2-3mpg hit. Box with two fork mounted Mt Bikes is a 5mpg hit above 65mph. With my big thirsty LC that had a profile of a brick wall 13-14mpg regardless roof gear took us down to 12-13mpg at 65mph.

The 07 Sequoia same roof gear is a 2-3mpg hit at 70mph. The AT tires were a 1-2mpg hit over the passenger car tires.

sf jakey

I think I can add something valuable here. I owned a 2005 Rubicon Unlimited, it was a beast off road, had a fair amount of interior room and I hated driving it on the road. I put 11k miles on it in 7 years before I sold it. I bought an Outback, thought I had the ultimate vehicle. It was GREAT to drive for hours on end, got great mpg etc, BUT it had no room when I wanted to take my dogs AND gear someplace. Kids? No chance with all their crap. Sold that and nearly bought a new 4door Rubicon, until I drove the 4Runner. After that, I realized the Jeep is still a Jeep, and I would hate driving it in a short period of time. So I now have a used 2011 trail which I have put over 25k miles on and I love everything about it. For me, I get all the advantages of all 3 vehicles with the 4 Runner Trail. MPG is about 20 on the hwy, 18 avg. Tons of interior room. Drives every bit as well as the Subaru, and can do pretty darn well off road. Oh, and the oil burning thing in the Subaru, it is real. I added a quart about every 1500-2000 miles. Only car I've ever owned that burned oil. I think you would love a 4 Runner.

macongeorge

Currently drive a 2004 F150 w/145000 miles. I planned on keeping the truck and getting a 2012 or newer Genesis or the Genesis and a LWB 2 door Jeep. After checking Jeep prices, that idea went down in flames. I really do not want to go back to owning multiple vehicles with one driver. I got kind of excited about the Subaru after reading the articles and pictures. I was sorely disappointed when I went to test drive one. I never drove off the lot. The seats are horrible, no thigh support. I am about average size, 6' and 200lbs., they must have made them for women and short people. To me it is like sitting on the edge of a chair. I also had a Gen 2 4 Runner with was a little difficult to get in and out of. I am looking forward to driving the newer models.

Are there any model years, features, etc. to stay away from? Upholstery or leather? I had a Miata w/leather. The leather was about as thick as two sheets of paper, did not wear well at all. I thought about a Tahoe, it is comfortable enough but too big. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Retired and looking hard. It would need to be able to pull a car carrier with ease and I much prefer 4 wheel drive.

Dalko43

Explorer
Currently drive a 2004 F150 w/145000 miles. I planned on keeping the truck and getting a 2012 or newer Genesis or the Genesis and a LWB 2 door Jeep. After checking Jeep prices, that idea went down in flames. I really do not want to go back to owning multiple vehicles with one driver. I got kind of excited about the Subaru after reading the articles and pictures. I was sorely disappointed when I went to test drive one. I never drove off the lot. The seats are horrible, no thigh support. I am about average size, 6' and 200lbs., they must have made them for women and short people. To me it is like sitting on the edge of a chair. I also had a Gen 2 4 Runner with was a little difficult to get in and out of. I am looking forward to driving the newer models.

Are there any model years, features, etc. to stay away from? Upholstery or leather? I had a Miata w/leather. The leather was about as thick as two sheets of paper, did not wear well at all. I thought about a Tahoe, it is comfortable enough but too big. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Retired and looking hard. It would need to be able to pull a car carrier with ease and I much prefer 4 wheel drive.

You are asking about the 4Runner? If you go look on the toyota website, you can see which trim levels offer which features...pretty much its all appearance and interior luxury items that distinguish the trim levels. The big differences are that the Limited gets a full-time 4wd, the SR5 and Trail get part time. Trail also has a locking diff. Otherwise engine, chassis, frame, ect are the same.

sandcrawler

Observer
then you don't want a 4Runner: tows 5000 lb. max; so, call it ~4000 in real life. sure, it'll pull, but if you're towing regularly it's not the best tool for the job.

MOguy

Explorer
then you don't want a 4Runner: tows 5000 lb. max; so, call it ~4000 in real life. sure, it'll pull, but if you're towing regularly it's not the best tool for the job.

I have an 04. That generation had a towing capacity up to 7K for the 4wd with the V8 *when properly equipped. I would agree with the above statement. If you are going to regularly towing even 80% of the max load for much distance of your vehicle max capacity I would look at other vehicles.

Another consideration would how the various traction control devices worked and if I could turn them off. My 04 has a couple ways it deals with traction control. In "normal" situations they are fine but in some off-road conditions they are a hindrance. I do not have the ability to turn them off in my 4Runners, I believe the Tacomas of the same or similar years did.

Last edited:

BlackdogGS

Observer
Gentlemen, I made my decision, I bought the Toyota Highlander XLE. I looked at the 4Runner and Subaru, I needed better mpg than the 4Runner got and the Subaru had bad reviews (oil consumption, wind noise and windshield cracking). My wife preferred the the Highlander and since it will be mostly hers it was the way to go.

I resisted the Highlander at first as I'm not familiar with this style. I'm keeping my F 150 for towing and more serious off road use.

I've I joyed the great response I got here and learned a bit also.

Honu

lost on the mainland
awesome to hear :)
the loaner I had drove nice and had lots of room and more car like comfy features :)

SurferJacoby

日本車???最高
Why not consider a Highlander? I mean for what you want I think it'd do you a better job than a 4Runner. I have a 2000 4Runner and if I had to do it all over again I'd still get another 2000 or go straight for a Trail Ediition. For what you want, I'd look at a Highlander or Nissan.

Gentlemen, I made my decision, I bought the Toyota Highlander XLE. I looked at the 4Runner and Subaru, I needed better mpg than the 4Runner got and the Subaru had bad reviews (oil consumption, wind noise and windshield cracking). My wife preferred the the Highlander and since it will be mostly hers it was the way to go.

I resisted the Highlander at first as I'm not familiar with this style. I'm keeping my F 150 for towing and more serious off road use.

I've I joyed the great response I got here and learned a bit also.

Nailed it!...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle