Is an XTerra a good vehicle for me?

Sid Post

Observer
I am getting a Taxa Tiger Moth trailer and want a good modest cost SUV to pull it to places normal folks don’t go.

With $15k~$20k, is this a good option?

If not, why? What is better for similar momey?

Thanks,
Sid

Maddmatt

Explorer
There's a lot of variables in that question.

Will it pull your trailer? I'd say probably yes, I think those Taxa's are pretty light. A known weak point in the Xterra is the rear springs, you'll need to upgrade them one way or another. I put a pair of cheap Autozone helper springs on mine, I pull a 4,000lb boat, and it pulls it nice and level, and with the helper springs it rides better when not towing. I'm considering upgrading or adding a set of Sumo Springs, but haven't got around to it yet. Some people go all the way with air springs, that sounds cool, but my budget hasn't supported that decision.

What are the places "normal folks don't go"? On this board the word "normal" has a different meaning, but I think I know what you mean. An Xterra absolutely has the power and capabilities (especially if you get a Pro-4X version) to pull your trailer places you really probably shouldn't. One thing I've learned living in Colorado my whole life: even at the end of what I think is a gnarly trail, there's often a retired couple in a Subaru and a hippie in a micro-bus.

In your budget, you should be able to find a really nice later model (2013-2015) Pro4X with leather seats (if you want leather). Xterras are well designed and very reliable, I have a friend who's just about to hit 200K on his.

BUT, as a two time Xterra owner, here's why I think you should look elsewhere. They haven't made Xterras since 2015. The aftermarket is relatively small, and I think the day is approaching when regular maintenance is going to require more than just dropping it off at the local dealer. It was always a small volume, niche vehicle, and now they are eight years out of production.

If you've always wanted one, I'd say get one, after all they aren't making them anymore. You can join up at thenewx.org for all your upgrade, trouble-shooting and maintenance needs, and scratch that itch, but it may end up being a bit of a commitment. Like I said earlier, I've scratched that itch twice, and still have both of them. I like them.

But, the way you phrased your question makes me think you are casting a wider net. In my opinion, you may be happier with something more recent, with a bit larger support/maintenance network behind it.

Good luck in your search!

Sid Post

Observer
The Tiger Moth is a very light trailer with low aerodynamic drag. A 4-cylinder Rav4 pulled one with any trouble according to the owner who lived in Colorado. Subaru's seem to do fine with them too.

Sid Post

Observer
After looking at the market and thinking on what I saw at the MTN West Expo has me thinking on a slightly more expensive Lexus or Land Cruiser "twin" which would be a better Cummins R2.8 swap candidate too.

Overlanding support is obviously a lot better too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan