is anyone running dual gps?

My mig unit is greta for the radio and discs and hd but the gps unit really sucks I was contemplating installing a lowrance unit along side unless someone who really understands this can tell me how to get topo and better performance out of my stock unit

Expedition Leader
I feel your pain; my AvMap GPS is the cat's pajamas for APRS but not as good as a cheap Garmin for navigating and it doesn't do topos at all (that I have found yet anyway). Most GPS are made for road drivers, and are a compromise of some sort. Haven't seen one yet that does everything I want all in one unit - but I'm not going to run two, I just make do with the one.

Ludedude

Adventurer
I usually have three going: 1) In-dash nav for street stuff, 2) Garmin 60CSx dash mounted and removed when hiking, and 3) iPad mounted in the truck running a variety of mapping software for terrain etc. while off road. If I really want to go nuts I can supplement with GPS in my phone but I haven't needed to do that; the phone just serves as a mobile hot spot :D

m(a)ce

Adventurer
I'm using the dual. Last trip was using it with the iPhone as driving GPS and with iPad for topo location. Worked well as a gps but still trying to determine best topo to use it with.

broken1

Observer
I run a Garmin 765t for roads and music, it does not handle topos well. I run it because it has an audio out jack with adjustable priority. When the top is down running it through the stereo helps me hear mp3s and navigation. I also run a Garmin eTrex Legend HCX with 24k topos loaded. It will also auto-route on roads so it is also my backup road gps. I WISH I could find one with all of that and a decent price...

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

m(a)ce

Adventurer
This weekend ran the iPad 2 on a trip through the pine barrens.

I used the Motion X GPS HD & iPad mounted on a ram mount & connected via Bluetooth to the dual gps.

Definitely takes up some window real estate but I've gotten use to it.

I think all the roads/trails we ran showed up & the interface/features are pretty functional. I want too play with preloading zoomed in maps more. Unfortunately it takes a loooong time to download maps. So far this is promising for my needs.

Btw Dual battery life seems great.

r3run33

Adventurer
m(a)ce can you post pics of your setup?? is the ram mount sturdy?? Need to set up one aswell but a friend has a ram mount in his doge and it vibrates way to much when vehicle is moving etc. thanks Hey I'm over in cherry hill we should set up a run some time before it gets to cold have you been to wharton forrest park?

m(a)ce

Adventurer
m(a)ce can you post pics of your setup?? is the ram mount sturdy?? Need to set up one aswell but a friend has a ram mount in his doge and it vibrates way to much when vehicle is moving etc. thanks Hey I'm over in cherry hill we should set up a run some time before it gets to cold have you been to wharton forrest park?

here's a pic so you get an idea.

I went with window mounted unit vs seat rail since I heard the seat mount did vibrate like crazy. mine as you can see also rests on dash so it's extra supported.

at first the size was overwhelming but I'm use to it now & I don't really play with it while driving.

I've been to Wharton a bunch of times - usually with the JKO jersey crew (good people). pine rides are usually coordinated on there. but we should get a jersey/pa mini meetup rally together! and you're totally welcome to check out the setup. keep me posted
:beer:

Sent from the batphone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1318555477.422600.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1318555477.422600.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 22

Adventurer
here's a pic so you get an idea.

I went with window mounted unit vs seat rail since I heard the seat mount did vibrate like crazy. mine as you can see also rests on dash so it's extra supported.

at first the size was overwhelming but I'm use to it now & I don't really play with it while driving.
:beer:
Sent from the batphone using Tapatalk

HI,
I'm sorry but I really dislike your mount. I understand you are trying to save space but covering up a window (or a portion of it) is a bad way to do it. It's not safe and, frankly, I enjoy using a window for simple sightseeing. If I were a cop, you would have a ticket in your pocket.

There is always a better way. I know because I have found one.

Sparky

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78