Is Film Dead? (Darkroom)

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
So, I have been spending quite a bit of time in the darkroom developing, processing and enlarging and I am addicted and feel that this is something I am very interested in doing long term and more than just a hobby.

I know there are some highly qualified and well respected members here that are developing large format and I would love some guidance and direction. Links to sites and images of some of your work are welcome as well.

Right now I am shooting manually with a Nikon N50 and B&W TRI-X 400 and I love it.

Feel free to PM if that is more appropriate.

Thanks,
Louis

First, way to go getting into the darkroom and understanding the processes. Wish I had the money to get back into shooting sheet film again. Second, no film is not entirely dead. It is getting harder to be a film user, but not impossible. There are enough of us (artists, students, and the curious) who love film to keep it alive. B&H is a great and affordable place to buy the stuff you need should you not be able to find it in your area.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/browse/Film-Tapes-Media/ci/1731/N/4277998908

Last edited:

MatthewThompson

Adventurer
Film is indeed dead for the casual user. By that I mean Joe Public who uses a roll every six months on his dog.

For the technical film user (one who develops and prints his own images) the media is very much alive and well. You have to be willing to purchase in higher quantities than before, and perhaps wait a couple days for things to get to you. Most importantly, your buying power tells firms like Ilford that there's a good case for continuing to manufacture and develop new and innovative products.

Keep at it, you're not alone.

4xdog

Explorer
No, film is not dead, but it's moved to a group of dedicated enthusiasts.

As an example, I collect -- and write with -- fountain pens. For the VAST majority of people, those are a curious item from old movies and cartoons. For those in the hobby, there's a rich community and a number of manufacturers and vendors catering to it. Film has become the same, I think.

I put an old Omega B22 B&W enlarger --with a lens -- out by the curb a few days ahead of trash pickup last fall, figuring that would give someone a chance to pick it up for resale at the fleas or to use. Nope. It went in the back of the truck.

Michael Slade

Untitled
I just spent over $6K on a film camera that arrived today. It will be the subject of a lengthy post in the future. Film is most decidedly NOT dead.

Additionally there are many university and high-school programs that shoot all kinds of film, everything from 35mm to 8x10 and larger.

I am teaching a film photography/darkroom class right now. I am also teaching 3 digital photography classes. The darkroom class is an entry-level class and it is by FAR the most rewarding class for me to teach.

If you want to learn more about film and the subtle nuance it produces, you should look at apug.org and if you are really serious about learning large-format, take a look at largeformatphotography.info.

There are a LOT of dedicated film users out here. I am considering taking a workshop wherein I learn how to make my own film.

There is a lengthy discussion on the large format forum about this very topic. You can read it here.

I applaud you for wanting to learn film and learn a different way of looking at the world. Because you cannot 'chimp' you will be forced to really pay attention and make every frame count.

Please ask as many questions as you want. The first suggestion I would make is to take your film speed rating and cut it in half. You will get a much more usable negative if you slightly over-expose it.

Good luck!

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Thank you guys so much for the Kudos!

It is an art and love the way I am able to express myself by adjusting f-stops and speed and enlarging. I also love the moment before I pull the trigger were I take a deep breath and my mind recalls my settings for that particular shot; then comes the loss of sleep prior to getting back into the darkroom to start the process.

Michael, your work along with Nathanael Kuenzli's has been a huge inspiration and motivation to dive into this. You guys have been at this labour of love for some time and I hope to be able to produce an ounce of similar quality as you some day.

I have a great local source (Tempe Camera) they do repair and sales and from browsing appear to have anything I could need or be able to source it for me.

I will spend some time on the links you all provided and continue my own research and use this thread for questions and discussion as I press on.

If you ever get some of your work scanned post some of it up. Experiment whenever you can. Try something that breaks the rules of photography. My favorite personal project I worked on back in college was doing just that.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Totally off topic, but I had a guy sitting out back at the tiki bar the other night who retired from Kodak. He worked on the machines that fed the film into the spools.

He was telling me that back in the 80's and 90's, the company had dozens of machines that ran 24/7 with 3 shifts working around the clock.

By the mid to late 90's, they were down to a handful of machines. He said they are now down to 2 machines that produce film and they're located in Mexico.

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Not really off topic, Pat. The best stories are usually heard at the bar by some old timer. Thanks for sharing and if you have any input on the subject of film I would love to hear it.

I would love feedback as well as it will help me down the road. The florescent light kind of washes them out but I am creating these from start to finish and loving every minute of it.

Sorry for the cell phone pics.

utf-8BSU1HMDA0MDAtMjAxMTAyMTUtMTMwNC5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDA0MDUtMjAxMTAyMTUtMTMxNC5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAzOTYtMjAxMTAyMTUtMTMwMS5qcGc.jpg

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
I do not feel that film is dead by any means. I know a lot of guys that use it still. I switched over to digital completely when it started getting harder to get stuff developed but thats partially because I never got into the darkroom side of it as much as I would have liked. I actually see a lot of folks using both a large format camera and a DSLR. good luck and hope to see some images soon

Michael Slade

Untitled
The top center image is funny...mainly because it's turning black. Remember to fix those for 5 minutes at least if it's RC paper (which it looks like it is).

Nice job getting some decent prints so early on.

Here's something to remember when evaluating your photographs for darkness/brightness/contrast.

"Every photograph needs two things...a little bit of pure black, and a little bit of pure white." -me

If you try to do that you will be printing with a full tonal range and have a better chance at getting the correct exposure when printing.

Keep at it!

I can forsee an ExPo Film Workshop possibly in the future. I know Sinhue talked about doing an 'adventure' workshop, but this wouldn't have to be so 'extreme'.

DesertBoater

Adventurer
I can forsee an ExPo Film Workshop possibly in the future. I know Sinhue talked about doing an 'adventure' workshop, but this wouldn't have to be so 'extreme'.

I've been rather curious about putting together a field darkroom/film processing kit...nothing fancy, just a couple bottles of chemicals and a small changing room so that I could wind, develop, fix, and view film while out on a long trip. Looking back at many historic photographers/explorers, they all carried their own darkroom with them, be it a tent, wagon, or otherwise. I would guess that water, and what one does with ones waste chemicals would be the toughest part to deal with...trying to practice LNT ethics and all. But with today's technology and ease of transportation...the sky could be the limit!

Cheers,
West

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Those are some SWEET images. I like the collage of the 4 points!

Thanks, Pat! I got home and spread my prints out to reflect on my work and to think about what I could have done differently and noticed I had randomly printed the set of steps four times playing with the lighting and rearranged them. Thought it looked pretty neat myself.

The top center image is funny...mainly because it's turning black. Remember to fix those for 5 minutes at least if it's RC paper (which it looks like it is).

Nice job getting some decent prints so early on.

Here's something to remember when evaluating your photographs for darkness/brightness/contrast.

"Every photograph needs two things...a little bit of pure black, and a little bit of pure white." -me

If you try to do that you will be printing with a full tonal range and have a better chance at getting the correct exposure when printing.

Keep at it!

This is great advice and something I will remember to keep in mind when developing. The print that's turning black was actually left in the first or second fix for 15 - 20 min I forgot and started working on something else ;)

Thanks for the kind words and advice. I am going to start playing with filters, dodging and burning and night shots.

You do strictly B&W, Right?

I've been rather curious about putting together a field darkroom/film processing kit...nothing fancy, just a couple bottles of chemicals and a small changing room so that I could wind, develop, fix, and view film while out on a long trip. Looking back at many historic photographers/explorers, they all carried their own darkroom with them, be it a tent, wagon, or otherwise. I would guess that water, and what one does with ones waste chemicals would be the toughest part to deal with...trying to practice LNT ethics and all. But with today's technology and ease of transportation...the sky could be the limit!

Cheers,
West

West, it seems like you could easily funnel you fluids back in to some sort of sealed container.

I would be interested in doing this also and have heard of people turning their vehicles into darkrooms and even developing in camp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998