Is the Pro 4x Worth it?

docwatson

Adventurer
Isnt the rear of the Pro 4x a Dana 44, and again only if its a manual transmission? If it is a carrier issue, wouldnt throwing an ARB inside solve that problem?

So all Pro4x/Offroad versions (manual and automatic) come with the M226 rear axle (which I have heard is version of the Dana 44). Also the the lower models with the V6 and manual transmission come with the M226 (no locker). Lower model automatics however come with the C200. All Xterras come with the R180A IFS which "seems" to be the real weak point, but as mentioned can be swapped for the Titan/Armada M205 IFS. But I would wager that the R180A and C200 are still plenty strong given prudent use of the skinny pedal.

Essentially, if you are replacing the suspension, the Pro4x only gives you skid plates, selectable locker and a stronger axle but only if you were planning on buying a automatic. If you get a manual the only difference is the skid plates and locker.

Ripper

Adventurer
It sounds like a mid level XTerra would be what I should be looking for. I would ditch the suspension. The locker is nice but not anything I could not do myself. The BFG tires are not amazing/ worth the additional cost. The lamps are a bit gimmicky. Gearing would be an issue I would have to solve as I go with bigger tires.

The non P4X AT's have the C200k rear axle, extremely limited options for gears (Factory 3.69s, that are expensive and hard to find), The tires are throw aways, the lights actually provide a good amount of light on the trail. Not having to install a rear locker is nice and saves a decent amount of money. The ARB locker is $1000, then you need a compressor, plus the install kit, and any associated factory parts, and you need to pay the shop to install it. Installing a locker isn't like swapping a pair of coilovers.

the M226 rear axle on the Pro-4x is beefier (same axle as the Titan just narrower) than the C200 in the non-Pro4x.

I wouldn't say they are beefier. There are just more options for the M226 in the way of lockers and gears. More people have blown the M226 than have blown the C200k.

lizardking

The C200 does break.
M226 is stronger. How much stronger? Debatable. More gear options for the m226 though.
R180 weakness can be fixed with a locker.
I am personally not a titan swap fan but it is a viable option.

Not sure the pro4x is worth the extra $$ and if I did it again I might buy a 6 speed X or S model and build it up since all the important bits are the same. Although, if I didn't have the pro4x I may have never had the drive to get out on the trails to find out what it really could do...

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
The non P4X AT's have the C200k rear axle, extremely limited options for gears (Factory 3.69s, that are expensive and hard to find), The tires are throw aways, the lights actually provide a good amount of light on the trail. Not having to install a rear locker is nice and saves a decent amount of money. The ARB locker is $1000, then you need a compressor, plus the install kit, and any associated factory parts, and you need to pay the shop to install it. Installing a locker isn't like swapping a pair of coilovers. .

So you're saying it's worth paying an additional $4k up front for a (weak) rear locker, versus paying $1500 for a (better) ARB installed?

The gearing point really depends on what tire size you go with. I am factory geared (3.36?) C200 with tall 33's and am not looking to re-gear.

Viggen

Just here...
The non P4X AT's have the C200k rear axle, extremely limited options for gears (Factory 3.69s, that are expensive and hard to find), The tires are throw aways, the lights actually provide a good amount of light on the trail. Not having to install a rear locker is nice and saves a decent amount of money. The ARB locker is $1000, then you need a compressor, plus the install kit, and any associated factory parts, and you need to pay the shop to install it. Installing a locker isn't like swapping a pair of coilovers.

I have worked on enough trucks to know that a locker install is not really an easy thing, but it is not exactly a difficult thing either. The lights seem a little gimmicky to me and considering I would want to ditch the rack, of really no consequence.

So, if I read this correctly, a 6MT S is the best place to start as it would have the D44 rear?

Ripper

Adventurer
No not at all, but to some people they may have the need for a locker but never push it that hard. Several people have ditched the factory locker in favor of the ARB even before they have any issues. and youre gearing depends on what model and more importantly transmission you have

4x4 AT 3.13
4x4 MT 3.54
4x4 AT OR/P4X 3.36
4x4 MT OR/P4X 3.69

Ripper

Adventurer
The lights seem a little gimmicky to me and considering I would want to ditch the rack, of really no consequence.

So, if I read this correctly, a 6MT S is the best place to start as it would have the D44 rear?

Are you ditching the rack all together or planning aftermarket?

And yes, IMHO it is.

Viggen

Just here...
Are you ditching the rack all together or planning aftermarket?

And yes, IMHO it is.

Altogether. I do not need it and it will be the difference between fitting in the work parking garage once lifted and not. And, I have never had the need for a rack. Even with my smaller D1. Never needed to use it.

So, I will be on the lookout for a 6MT S then. The S is the mid line package and the X is bottom line, correct?

KiwiKurt

Explorer
I thought the pro4x was worth it...but I wanted the leather/satnav, rack lights, locker, and skid plates because I have no intention of replacing those with aftermarket.

My only complaint with the Xterra is the lack of suspension travel. It didn't occur to me at the time that it would be an issue, but after seeing 5th gens and FJ's compared to my truck on the same trail, the difference was obvious. I'll be swapping my OME for radflow extended travel units and seeing if that helps, or just selling it for a FJ or 5th gen 4runner. Still researching to decide on what I'm going to do. I have no desire to do a titan front end swap.

Last edited:

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Lack of front suspension articulation could be overcome with a front locker for a lot less money than changing vehicles :)

I really like my Xterra - have a hard time finding much fault with it. If I had to pick a gripe, it would probably be with the interior... its pretty boring (just a sea of medium grey) but it's functional. In the last 2 weeks I have taken mine on a 1700 mile/40 hour marathon road trip to pick up a Land Rover gearbox, loaded up the back with an engine crane and other workshop equipment, taken it snow wheeling in Vermont, carted dogs around, and driven it to work every day in between.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
Lack of front suspension articulation could be overcome with a front locker for a lot less money than changing vehicles :)

I really like my Xterra - have a hard time finding much fault with it. If I had to pick a gripe, it would probably be with the interior... its pretty boring (just a sea of medium grey) but it's functional. In the last 2 weeks I have taken mine on a 1700 mile/40 hour marathon road trip to pick up a Land Rover gearbox, loaded up the back with an engine crane and other workshop equipment, taken it snow wheeling in Vermont, carted dogs around, and driven it to work every day in between.

I suppose. If I keep it, I think I will add some kind of locker, not sure what yet though. Thoughts?

to be fair, i was comparing my stock travel 1.5-2" lift on mine to FJ/5thgen with extended travel radflows. Im trying to find the numbers on suspension travel comparing the xterra to the 4runner. IIRC, the extended travel radflows add something like 2-3" of travel on the X.

The bland/simple interior is actually one of my favorite features on the X. Everything lights up a flat orange. No wonky, blinding whites and blues...i dont feel like im at a dance club at night. Only gripe with the interior is that I cannot shut the Nav off completely. Pushing power just turns the music off and leaves the map up....i wish I could turn it OFF

b00ster

Observer
I have a 2011 Pro-4x and I am really happy with it. That being said, I would NOT pay an extra $4k for the package. I got a great deal on mine (dealership was going out of business and my X had been sitting on their lot for over a year) so I bought it. Bottom line is that if you don't need a locker and don't want the roof rack it isn't worth the dough. The skid plates are pretty lame (1/16" steel, IIRC)...I had several significant dents in mine after the first real offroad excursion I took it on. Save the $4k and buy the mods you really want / need.

I think you'll be happy with the X, though. As others have noted...no matter which trim line you get, the 4.0 power plant is a pretty great motor, IMHO.

lizardking

So you're saying it's worth paying an additional $4k up front for a (weak) rear locker, versus paying $1500 for a (better) ARB installed?

The gearing point really depends on what tire size you go with. I am factory geared (3.36?) C200 with tall 33's and am not looking to re-gear.

I wouldn't call it weak. The arb is stronger but the stock one is pretty rugged. They had some issues with spider gears in 2005 and 2006 and some people have had other issues here and there.

I think the c200k can go up to 4.10s which may be good enough even with 35s. The r180 can only go to 4.10s so you are in titan swap land if you want to go higher anyway.

All of this pointless unless you are dragging it through the trails. Even then, I have seen stockish Xterras do some pretty impressive things without lockers.

Edit: c200 can to up to 4.08s which is close enough to 4.10s...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman