Is there a better alternative to the yakima 1a gutter mount for yakima racks?

Reason I'm asking is I havent had great luck with them in the past. Hunting over in hells canyon about 10 years back, I ended up losing a rack mount, THe plastic broke in half resulting in my rack beating the crap out of my canopy. I'm running the extended rack, and at the time I had 1 spare, a axe, and a high lift. Hiondsight maybe I should of had 3 sets instead of 2, but eh. I'm still disapointed in them. I'd also like something a little more love profile to get nit down near the roof better.

I kinda doubt it, but I figured I'd ask and see if anyone is making something better that I can adapt to the yakima rack. If not, I will probably go 4 sets on the new build.

billiebob

so bolting thru the fiberglass canopy roof ???

I use the Yakima Landing Pads, Towers and bars.
At least 20 years old, used the same parts on 4 Wranglers
They work perfect for me

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0021.jpeg

billiebob

Most vehicles have slight curve to the roof line. With 4 cross bars you may need to shim over the cross bars to get a level plain on the roof.
this ^^^ actually just spacing the pads will set everything level.
on mine I copied the spacing from my YJ but there is more tumblehome to the TJ roof so I had to narrow the rear pad spacing..
note the 2 extra bolts to block the holes drilled in the wrong spot
DSC_0002.jpg

the rack was originally mounted on a canopy on a 04 ranger. It's not sitting on the ground, but IU was going to use it onm my 1990 montero I deiesel swapped. I have full flat gutters.

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
We tried using the 1A's on Hummers H1's and had similar problems with breakage. The 1A's are strong but you can't overload them. The best gutter mounted racks I have ever found were Quick-n-Easy towers. Used to be $35 each, dirt cheap and really well made out of a die cast alloy. You can sometimes find them on eBay. The cool part was you could bolt your own crossbars to them, even use a 2x4, or even bolt a basket to them. The owner down in Los Angeles retired, we should have bought the tooling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior