Is there a flat Jeep JK fender that can hold my body weight?

campertramper

I just purchased an ursa minor camper for my 2011 Jeep Rubicon and I'm wondering if there is a rear fender in existence that is strong enough to hold my body weight (I'm about 170lbs.) to use for climbing into the camper from the outside without using a ladder. Thank you!

aaaslayer

I don't think the issue is the fender, so long as it is a good tubular design metal fender aluminum or steel. I think the issue with that much weight will come down to the way they're installed. I have steel tubular fenders on my wrangler and in the rear, they mount via rivnuts inserted into the preexisting holes in the tub when you remove the factory fenders. I only had to add 2 extra holes to drill out and add rivnuts as well. So the stress will be on the weaker point which is the rivnuts and the tub itself. I personally would buy the dedicated steps that mount to the door hinges instead of standing on your fenders. I'm sure they can hold the weight, but I can see the tub flexing and you loosening those riv nuts over time and in turn your fender sagging a bit.

Have you considered something like this instead?

51GcyDvfyFL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

campertramper

I don't think the issue is the fender, so long as it is a good tubular design metal fender aluminum or steel. I think the issue with that much weight will come down to the way they're installed.

I REALLY appreciate your perspective on this! I was worried about the weight also as I know the area wasn't really designed to hold a person. I don't think that I want a permanently installed ladder because as Dan Grec says it 'advertises that there is a way into the ursa minor from the ground' (I'm paraphrasing). I like the idea of the door steps, but I'm not sure how practical it will be for getting in/out - I guess I'll give it a try and see if it does the trick. Thank you so much!

Last edited:

aaaslayer

I REALLY appreciate your perspective on this! I was worried about the weight also as I know the area wasn't really designed to hold a person. I don't think that I want a permanently installed ladder because as Dan Grec says it 'advertises that there is a way into the ursa minor from the ground' (I'm paraphrasing). I like the idea of the door steps, but I'm not sure how practical it will be for getting in/out - I guess I'll give it a try and see if it does the trick. Thank you so much!
The Ursa Minor is meant to get in and out from inside though. If getting in and out from outside, then might as well just stick with a rooftop tent. But since you already have the Ursa Minor, getting in and out was meant to be all from inside to keep you out of the elements and avoid ladders on the outside. I'd consider those Smittybilt door steps first. By all means gets metal fenders, they look awesome and are sturdy, but I wouldn't get them for the sole purpose of standing on them. They're still a "high step" and you'd need to step onto a lower step first before you're even able to safely plant your foot on the rear fender. Unless you're like 7 feet tall. Congrats on the Ursa Minor purchase.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman