Is there a way to keep the wipers from freezing?

SirCampalot

Adventurer
I was wondering if there's a way to keep the wipers from icing up. I do quite a bit of driving in the snow during the winter time and would love to know if there's anything out there other than the non-freezing windshield washer fluid to prevent icing. Might sound silly, but does anyone make heated wiper blades?

SirCampalot

Adventurer
I suppose I should have searched google first! Looks like there are a few options out there. Next question... who makes a good one? :)

dustboy

Explorer
Hey, haven't seen you since mendocino NF..

Check out my thread on reservoir relocation, I'm thinking the radiator will keep the fluid warm. Any reason you don't want to use anti-freeze wiper fluid?

Supposedly these SilBlades I got are supposed stay flexible, but I haven't tried them in the winter yet. Doesn't mean they won't still collect snowballs.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Winter blades and washer fluid rated to -30F is what I go with in the Sierras.

D

Deleted member 9101

You could always pull over and pee on them..just a thought

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I thought it would be fun to do a search.

I found this.

http://www.everblades.com/

I have no idea how much they cost or if they work good. There are others on the market also.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

This might come in handy also.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96144

96144.gif

digitalferg

Adventurer
:D :D :D

heat at full blast onto the windshield.. works wonders but they freeze like hell once you park unless they are dry.

The trick out here at the ski resorts (and has migrated into the city) is to flip your wipers out away from the windshield when you park. They'll still ice up a bit, but at least they don't freeze to the windshield making it difficult to scrape. I do it all winter long and I feel it helps.

-Ferg-

Hawk Thor

There is one guy here in my area that has vibrators on his wiper arms. These are like the little motors in videogame controllers that make them rumble, these shake the ice off when it builds up.

Freezer

Observer
I think an engine heater combined with electrically heated windshield (I know that Ford offers this as an option on their car lineup in this part of the world. Not sure of other manufacturers.) are a good way to keep the wipers defrosted.

XXXpedition

Explorer
You could always pull over and pee on them..just a thought
and that would make for a good smell inside the rig , too:sombrero:

but seriously, i've hardly ever had that problem! the easiest way is to put a piece of cardboard between wipers and windshield, or as said before: raise them (doesn't work with all vehicles)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78

Members online