Is there such a thing as too much light at camp

Fargo

Adventurer
Is there such a thing as too much light at camp? Can too much light destroy the ambiance of a camp site?

I have a Jeep Wrangler with the AEV tire carrier that has a light mast on the back. I'm looking into getting a light or set of lights to put on the light mast to function as a reverse light as well as for a camp light. I've never had any type of camp light apart from a flash light or headlamp. So I'm trying to decide how much light I need or want. My first thought is you can't have too much light, but as I think about it, I'm not sure that is the case. In the case of reverse lights I suppose thats true, unless the rear camera washes out due to too much light. But what about at camp?

How many people use lights at camp. Do you prefer to light up the camp with bright lights or is it better to have a dimly lit campsite? Maybe just have enough light to keep you from stumbling around and tripping over stuff. Also a dim light won't bother the neighbor in a public campground. When possible, I like to travel and camp in the back country so I can enjoy nature. Lighting up camp seems like it goes against the purpose of getting out into the wild. On the other hand, a bright light might make it easier to setup camp. I've also considered amber light covers to take the edge of off bright LEDs.

So who uses camp lighting and how bright is too bright. Does light color make a difference?

J!m

I used a Coleman gasoline lantern for years, then "upgraded" to a Coleman rechargeable battery lantern, and now I have a new one- forgot I had even bought it, but I seem to remember the rechargeable one stopped taking a charge...

But I think camp light is like off-road speed: "As slow as possible; as fast as necessary." Or, in this case, "as dim as possible; as bright as necessary." you don't want to be tripping on stuff, and you don't want to destroy your night vision completely either- particularly if you are remote camping where critters of any sort can suddenly be in your "camp" (AKA their yard). We had a big scorpion visitor in North Africa...

Maybe that helps your decision process?

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
If not cooking or doing something, It's lights out. Only campfire. We usually have a flash light or headlamps for when we need. I've never camped without a fire so IDK about that but if I did, I imagine I would try to use an amber lens. It really does make a difference. For your application, maybe an amber cover? I cant see wanting a dim light on an offroad vehicle, especially if you use it offroad or for reverse. I feel that would be the opposite of what you want in a light.

Fargo

Adventurer
Thanks guys, great responses.

Jim, I think, thats a good way to say it. "as dim as possible; as bright as necessary." I think thats the balance I'm looking for.

SDDiver5 also makes a great point. I'll most likely have all the lights off once I'm settled into camp. Just a campfire and maybe a lantern or flashlight/headlamp. So basically I want it bright enough to use for reverse, but no brighter than necessary once setup in camp. I think an amber lens could really help at camp. But finding the right balance feels like a really fine line. I guess thats where I'm struggling.

Thanks guys for helping me find some clarity. It would be really easy to just throw money into lights and then feel like I need to use them all the time because I have them. Meanwhile I'd probably be unable to see anything because I'd always be staring into overly bright LEDs. Maybe a more balanced approach with a dimmer light has some merit after all. I appreciate the honest and thoughtful responses here. Thanks.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
If not cooking or doing something, It's lights out. Only campfire. We usually have a flash light or headlamps for when we need. I've never camped without a fire so IDK about that but if I did, I imagine I would try to use an amber lens. It really does make a difference. For your application, maybe an amber cover? I cant see wanting a dim light on an offroad vehicle, especially if you use it offroad or for reverse. I feel that would be the opposite of what you want in a light.
Same. We use the amber lens that by the door on our trailer and the camp fire. That's it.

We just use the flashlights on our phones it we head out for a night time dump stroll.

Kingsize24

Oh ABSOLUTELY. I see this all the time. Someone's entire camp area is DROWNING in light. LED's in every direction glaring your sight so that you just turn your back to it.

Personally we use white gas colemans, a few small handheld amber lights, or the campfire itself. Really NOTHING more is needed. Let your eyes adjust, sit down, take a break, and get acclimated the the site and it's own lighting. Then if you need bit more, a small amount of light will pay big dividends in what you can see once acclimated. JMHO

All good considerations already mentioned. Equip as much as your pocket book can handle but use the least amount of lighting necessary. In extreme situations you can flame on e.g. search and rescue or impromptu command post, you may need more than normal. Consider also that intense lighting may negatively impact natural wildlife activities.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I like the factory cargo lights mounted on the third brake light and mirrors. Just bright enough and in the right places. I think those rock light things mounted under the truck and trailer would be nice if they’re not too bright.
Once we’ve settled in it’s mostly lights out unless there’s some real dim ambience type light.

Fargo

Adventurer
Great responses from everyone. Not the responses I was expecting. I was fully expecting to hear everyone had a light on every corner of their roof rack and rock lights under every wheel. It makes me wonder who is driving those equipted vehicles with all of those lights on them.

I guess I fit right in here. I've always camped in the dark, and I try to be mindful of my neighbors. Just like you all. I probably would never have thought about a camp light if my tire carrier didn't have a mast setup for it. It will be nice for a reverse light and I expect to use it while setting up in the dark if I get in late. But after that its lights out.

So I guess the real question I need to figure out is how much light is needed for a reverse light. Because that will really be the primary use. Even then it seems like I just need a good spread of even light around the vehicle so I don't back into anything. The stock reverse lights don't allow me to see anything on the camera and my rear windows are tinted and/or blocked by the spare tire. So maybe just a small 2 inch LED is all that is needed.

Any thoughts on reverse lights? Is there a point they could be too bright too. In additoin to blinding a neighbor in a public camp site.

Kingsize24

For reverse lights I've actually got some fairly intense BD squadron pro's. However, I have them, and all my lights setup to 40% Intensity on my SPod that controls them. 40% is generally PLENTY. And for those times where the weather is inclement, you can increase the output intensity to see or be seen as needed. So get as much as you can afford or think you will need. Then just control them properly would be my personal suggestion.

J!m

Reading the successive responses, why not add a dimmer to your back-up lights? either a second (not in reverse) feed, with a dropping resistor and diode to avoid back-feeding, or a potentiometer in place of the dropping resistor, for an adjustable dimmer. This way, full brightness to see backing up, but reduced light when used in camp.

And also, for this particular light, incandescent bulb. An LED, even dimmed, will remain in the same color-spectrum (annoying). Dimming an incandescent bulb drops from white to amber as it runs cooler.

Fargo

Adventurer
For reverse lights I've actually got some fairly intense BD squadron pro's. However, I have them, and all my lights setup to 40% Intensity on my SPod that controls them. 40% is generally PLENTY. And for those times where the weather is inclement, you can increase the output intensity to see or be seen as needed. So get as much as you can afford or think you will need. Then just control them properly would be my personal suggestion.

Nice. I didn't realize you could do that with the SPod. I thought they were just a fancy switch bank. That gets outside of my price range, but knowing your typically at 40% tells me a small light at 100% is probably sufficient to provide additional backup lighting.

Reading the successive responses, why not add a dimmer to your back-up lights? either a second (not in reverse) feed, with a dropping resistor and diode to avoid back-feeding, or a potentiometer in place of the dropping resistor, for an adjustable dimmer. This way, full brightness to see backing up, but reduced light when used in camp.

And also, for this particular light, incandescent bulb. An LED, even dimmed, will remain in the same color-spectrum (annoying). Dimming an incandescent bulb drops from white to amber as it runs cooler.

Good idea. I thought about a switched 2nd light, but never considered a dimmer. I agree that incandescent would be best for camp light. I don't like the the white/blue 6k LED. My current plan is to pick up a yellow cover to pop on the few times I need to use it as a camp light. Not as nice as incandescent, but better than white light on a dark night.

The more I think about it, the more I realize it will very seldom be used as a camp light. We typically prefer a dark camp. All we've ever needed in the past was a couple of headlamps. So its really going to be a backup light and maybe used for setup on rare occasions we set up in the dark.

So with that in mind I'm trying to determine the best setup for reverse lights now. I'm considering using 2 smaller lights to avoid a shadow from my spare tire and also provide the ability to aim them a little. A dimmer or 2nd switch might be nice too. But now things are getting more expensive and more complicated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12