Is there such a thing as too much light at camp

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
One of the best parts of living on the road or trail is dark nights (y)

52872887035_a2066b9550_h.jpg

Fargo

Adventurer
Last year we camped near some people that brought friggen tri pod mounted jobsite work lights and extended them to full length.
We could see the glow through the trees. It was ridiculous.

Yeah, I don't want to be the that guy. I've seen similar campsites and that always bothers me. When I first posted this thread, I was kind of expecting to get replies that this is what you guys are all doing and that I should get all the light I can on my light mast. I'll say that I have been very relieved to hear everyone stating you don't need that much light at camp. I think a lot of it has to do with Youtube overlanders. People see how they have their campsites all lit up and think they need to do the same. They forget that the Youtubers need all of that light because they are creating a video.

I prefer my campsite to look like the picture above. Thanks for posting. When sitting at a computer looking at all of the cool things we can purchase for our rigs, its easy to forget why we get out to do what we do.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
That would drive me insane. Lol
Yeah, in all the years we've been camping overloading overlanding it was the only time I seriosly debated going over and asking if they could turn them off. Like it was 1:00 am for crying out loud. How are you supposed to sleep. It reminded me of Samuel L. Jackson's backyard flood lights in Lakeview Terrace (assuming you've seen that movie)

Yeah, I don't want to be the that guy. I've seen similar campsites and that always bothers me. When I first posted this thread, I was kind of expecting to get replies that this is what you guys are all doing and that I should get all the light I can on my light mast. I'll say that I have been very relieved to hear everyone stating you don't need that much light at camp. I think a lot of it has to do with Youtube overlanders. People see how they have their campsites all lit up and think they need to do the same. They forget that the Youtubers need all of that light because they are creating a video.

I prefer my campsite to look like the picture above. Thanks for posting. When sitting at a computer looking at all of the cool things we can purchase for our rigs, its easy to forget why we get out to do what we do.
Yeah, only amber trailer door light so we don't trip on the stairs going in and a lowish fire so we can still see the stars. That's our style.

WeLikeCamping

Explorer
When tent camping, I use LED string lights over the tent, and a couple of small electric lanterns for food prep. Always carry a flashlight, headlamps irritate me. Dark Sky is good sky. Using the camper, I often only use the small electric lanterns inside and outside. I will sometimes put a string light under the camper for indirect lighting. Propane lanterns are great for lighting up a big area, but for me are also too noisy.

J!m

I mentioned it elsewhere, but I converted the rear fog light to a second reverse light on my defender (housings are identical), and then added the rear fog light high on the back of the roof top.

Better visibility backing up (twice the light) and better visibility to those behind me in convoy- the light is above the dust cloud and much easier to see as compared to right above the rear crossmember.

J!m

I see I missed some posts... You don't want the NSA descending on your camp thinking it's Roswell II...

And most euro-spec vehicles have the running lights in their headlights which are sorry little white bulbs on one side of the reflector. Nosing in and running these as long as needed are probably enough light to do most tasks... I bet even the amber parking lights alone are enough (on NA spec vehicles).

MiamiC70

YouTubers and ”influencers“ the bane of human existence.

DaveNay

Adventurer
If you think about it, all you really need is enough light to see where you're going.
I used to have this argument debate with other Boy Scouts back in the day. We'd be walking along a white limestone crushed rock path under clear skies and a full moon, and half of them would turn on their K-Mart flashlights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12