Is there such a thing as too much light at camp

Fargo

Adventurer
I used to have this argument debate with other Boy Scouts back in the day. We'd be walking along a white limestone crushed rock path under clear skies and a full moon, and half of them would turn on their K-Mart flashlights.

Its in these types of situations where I always preferred to walk in the dark. It always seemed like I could see better without the flashlight. It seems counter intuitive, but it seems like as soon as I turn on the flashlight, I can only see what is being directly lit by the flashlight. I have no vision of anything outside of that light. So I have similar concerns if I get too bright of reverse lights that I might not see anything that is outside of that light. I don't seem to notice that issue so much with headlights, but I guess thats maybe because all I need to see is the road that is well lit.

craig333

Expedition Leader
Long ago I'd fire up two coleman lanterns. Now I go as little as possible. Maybe a bit more when cooking. My lantern now is a tiny thing that runs off aa batteries. Plenty of area light if I even need that much. Aside from an emergency just enough light so I don't trip.

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
Normally it's not a big deal, but if you're in predator County you cannot see what's lurking just a few feet away in the shadows.
Even with a medium size fire your sight is limited.
I think some of the current generation of, I'll call them OVERLANDERS, for lack of a better word, have no idea what the term minimalist means.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Less light is better to enjoy the night sky. I'm amazed at the number of people who have the LED tripod lights around the camp lit up like it was midday.

Last edited:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I used to have this argument debate with other Boy Scouts back in the day. We'd be walking along a white limestone crushed rock path under clear skies and a full moon, and half of them would turn on their K-Mart flashlights.

That's so you can see the reflection of the Bears' and Wolves' eyes before they eat you!

gatorgrizz27

Just keep it simple. There are plenty of 12v flood lights with high and low beams. Wire the high to your current reverse lights, wire the low with a switch inside the back of the vehicle. Easy to flip on to hook up a trailer, find something you dropped etc.

Fargo

Adventurer
We'll I'm fully convinced or should I say re-assured I would never use a bright set of LEDs at camp. Particularily since I come more from a minimalist backpacking perspective and background. Its easy to get caught up in the RV mentality and wanting all the lights and modern convenience of home at camp. But the reality is that is not the way my family camps, and I'd rather not go down that road. So in the end, I guess I just need to figure out my needs for reverse lights... but brighter still sounds better for reverse lights. :)

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Its easy to get caught up in the RV mentality and wanting all the lights and modern convenience of home at camp. But the reality is that is not the way my family camps, and I'd rather not go down that road. S
Lol, we like having our comforts like our keurig etc.. But still like to enjoy the night stars. So lights are usually off inside the trailer (also helps keep the bugs away) We also leave the LED 'Scare light off". We find between the camp fire and amber trailer door light there is sufficient light around the camp site. (Might be a propane 'firepit' when we head out on the 19th if these wild fires don't stop.)

Basically all we use our trailer for is storage and sleeping. When we head out, we try to spend all our time outdoors. However, if it's cold and rainy, it's nice to have a trailer to retreat into.

Fargo

Adventurer
Don't get me wrong. I'm not knocking RVs. We still use a tent, but there are certainly times I wouldn't mind having a hard sided camper. I think I would sleep better on those rainy nights in a hard sided camper than I do in a tent. I'm usually awake half the night on the lookout for water entry.

Its because we use a tent that I was initially thinking that I would get great use out of a camp light on my tire mast. Much like you do with your amber trailer door light. An amber cover for my mast light might still have some benefit. But the more I think about it, the more I realize that mast light won't get used much as a camp light. Once we get the tent setup and a fire going, there is no need for the light. The primary purpose is really for a reverse light and for maybe an hour as we setup camp.

So I probably need to ignore any camp light duties and just decide how bright my reverse lights should be. I can see a point where even a reverse light could be too bright. But the light setup I'm looking at has a switch I can shut them off and just use stock reverse lights in those situations. But why purchase a nice bright reverse light only to shut it off. So I'm trying to find that balance. I'll probably just have to purchase one small LED light and then if I need more light get a 2nd light.

Fargo

Adventurer
Here's a couple of interesting pictures I found online that really show the difference between how light is used at camp. I'd far rather hang out with the guys in the 2nd photo who only have a camp fire than the two tents with full LED lighting all around. The extra light would be nice while setting up the tent. But after I'm setup, I'm more likely to just use a campfire. So these pictures really create a good visual for me to remember that I only need the bright lights for reverse and setting up my site.

1683581514600.png

1683581536639.png

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
So I probably need to ignore any camp light duties and just decide how bright my reverse lights should be. I can see a point where even a reverse light could be too bright. But the light setup I'm looking at has a switch I can shut them off and just use stock reverse lights in those situations. But why purchase a nice bright reverse light only to shut it off. So I'm trying to find that balance. I'll probably just have to purchase one small LED light and then if I need more light get a 2nd light.
If that's the purpose for the lighting, what about just changing out your reverse lights or even just your cab mounted box bulbs to LED's?

Screenshot 2023-05-08 154100.png

Or just get a battery powered lantern or work light to use for setup from Home Depot / Cabelas etc?

Screenshot 2023-05-08 154834.png

Last edited:
Reactions: J!m

Hnoroian

Observer
You can never have too much lighting, just because setting up in the dark under the trees with no moon light stinks. I have flood lights on the side of my racks and usually only use them while setting up and then after it usually goes dark with the exception of a headlamp when needed and the campfire.

Fargo

Adventurer
If that's the purpose for the lighting, what about just changing out your reverse lights or even just your cab mounted box bulbs to LED's?

Well... its kinda like this. I have a tire carrier with the light mast in the picture below. Not my Jeep but its the same tire carrier. Since I have the place for a light it seemed like I should just find the best way to utilize that light mast.
1683583171719.png

Here is another picture of the tire carrier where someone used a couple of 3-4" LEDs. This is kind of the direction I was leaning, but not sure I need all that light.
1683583254861.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12