Is there such a thing as too much light at camp

kdeleon

Observer
I use extra lights for finding campsite at night, and setting up. Then it's lights out, and if i am feeling energetic, may setup my string lights for mood especially if campfires are banned. I don't understand why folks camp with these massive stadium lights but to each their own.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

aknightinak

For most of peak camping season, it just isn't dark. At this point in the year, there's no night or astronomical twilight again until the end of August.
In later fall and winter, I'm a campfire, candles, and headlamp type. I hate missing a good aurora because camp is too light polluted.

1000arms

Shutting off headlights/backup-lights and allowing one's eyes to adjust to the dark for a minute or two might be enough to allow a headlamp to seem quite bright. It is also a low cost method and easy to test. :)

WeLikeCamping

Explorer
Here is how much light I typically have when camping with the trailer:
pc1.jpg

This was taken last Friday, just before we had dinner. Afterwards, it was lights out for all but the fire.

This is more light than I typically have while tent camping, and only because I wanted the cool "lit up tent at dark campsite" photo, this was taken Saturday night:
S_Creek1.jpg

Two things to note, the cooking fire was 25 yards away, and if you look close, you will see the ratchet strap strung over the tent. I put a string of LED lights on it which is what I typically use to light the tent site. Any other light comes from flashlights.

J!m

If the rear lights will be for backing only, mount them (or something else) lower. If it’s high the shadows thrown will make it harder than without rear lights! Kinda like fog lights which need to be low to be useful.

They could be tucked far under the rig to avoid being wiped out on the trail.

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
With all this, I'm thinking there are a bunch of "campers" terrified of lions, tigers and bears, oh my!
It's Heffalumps and Woozles for me. And camp lights attract them o_O

I camp to experience nature including dark. I can huddle in a little circle of light or around a campfire at home.

Fargo

Adventurer
If the rear lights will be for backing only, mount them (or something else) lower. If it’s high the shadows thrown will make it harder than without rear lights! Kinda like fog lights which need to be low to be useful.

They could be tucked far under the rig to avoid being wiped out on the trail.
I was kind of wondering about this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears