Is this Kayak any good?

DaveM

Explorer
Well, you should definitely give it a sit before buying, you may find it cramped at 250#. Have you ever used a sea kayak before? You may find it very unstable initially. For poking around lakes and rivers I'd rather go with a canoe or maybe even a sit on top kayak. Both will have greater beam and stability and probably be more comfortable for a bigger guy. An 18' sea kayak might be a bit over kill for protected waters.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Ask him if you can try it out. It might be a bit to narrow and could be less stable than the other types mentioned; however, it really comes down to how you like it. You may find that you're able to handle it, if you have good balance. This can be such a personal thing. When I was looking at boats with some friends, I found several boats stable enough for me that others thought were to tippy.

Narrow and 18' will probably be a pretty fast boat.

The rudder will help in turning in smaller waters.

If it were me and I test fit in it just fine (felt comfortable), I'd have to seriously consider it at that price. I probably would want to at least put it on the water for 1/2 an hour or so just to test it out.

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
That cockpit looks narrow, certainly worth a test-sit before you buy. I'm a big guy too and I am happy with my Wilderness Systems Tsunami 145 if that helps ya much.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
wow it's an old Perception/Aquaterra Sealion kayak!!! Great kayak in it's day it was one of the top choices/ A few things to consider and look for. First see if you can test paddle it. If not atleast sit in it to make sure you can fit and be comfortable. That boat has a fairly generous cockpit for a sea kayak. The seat is a basic plastic bucket that you will want to get some padding for. I recommend going to www.seairsports.com and buy an Endurance seat pad system. Inexpensive and majorly comfortable.

Next the age of the kayak is a consideration. Price is ok but you want to look for several key indicators of usable life. First check the stems for thin spots where it would have been pulled up on the beach if it is thin walk away you should not be able to depress the plastic on the stem with your thumb. Next check the conditions of the bungie cords and the black deck eyes that hold on the bungie. These area easily and cheaply replaced but take that into consideration. Next inspect the neoprene hatch covers to make sure they are solid. If not these may be a little bit of a challenge to replace. They are about $30 or each from a retailer. If perception does not make these anymore (I'm pretty sure they won't) you will have to find another kayak with the same size hatch to order a neo cover for it. Ispect the carry handles and all ropes on the boat for condition. Inspect all places where a bolt goes through the hull or deck for signs of cracking especially around the foot braces. If you find any cracking walk away. Now look into the hatches and also the cockpit to inspect the bulkheads. You want to run you finger around the foam bulkhead where it meets the plastic to make sure there are no seperations. If there are then you can reseal it using lexel which is what most factories use to install bulkheads. It is available in most hardware stores for under $10.00. Finally go over the hull carefully you want to look for "age in the plastic. Just like a humans skin a poly kayak will get "wrinkles" in the finish. now these are not wrinkles that you can feel but it will look like small spider cracks on the surface they will not go through. THis is a major indicator that the boat is beyond it's u.v. resistance age and the sun will very quickly finish it off. In todays kayak market most kayaks have a 10-12 year life if in the sun everyday. Then the u.v. stabilizers in the poly stop working. If the yak has been stored inside then most likely it will have plenty of life left. But if has been outside for it's entire life this one may be done or close to it. THe last 2 digits on the serial # located on the back of the boat where the hull and deck join will indicate the year it was made. This could be a 15-18 year old kayak.

Oh one last thing if the yak has a rudder make sure the up and down haul lines are in good shape. Also inspect the cables and the sheath where the cables go into the hull. Finally inspect the condition of the rudder "wheel". This is the part where the rope runs around the rudder. Make sure everything is smothly operating. Rudder systems can run as much a $250.00 for a replacement of a factory system so this is the one area that can be expensive to replace if it is in bad shape.

Good luck keep us posted!

Last edited:

VikingVince

Explorer
Dave,

I'd go with a sit-on-top kayak for general tooling around.

Check out Southwind in Irvine. They have one day classes for around $60 over in Newport Beach...you get some basic training and can try out either sitontop or regular. I took a couple of them...thought it was worth it.
www.southwindkayaks.com

Ursidae69 said:
That cockpit looks narrow, certainly worth a test-sit before you buy. I'm a big guy too and I am happy with my Wilderness Systems Tsunami 145 if that helps ya much.

Sweet, that is what I have:sombrero: .

Anyways, I would snatch that up in a heart beat if it was in decent condition. I would not make that your first kayak though. A more recreational kayak would fit you best. That boat will be a very tight fit for you and I am almost positive you will be uncomfortable in it. There is no harm in trying it out though so you have a better idea of what you really should be looking at.

As Vince recommeded I would take a class, you will pick something up as far as skills go and they may have some good suggestions for you.

Last edited:

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
I second what Nullifier said, and echo Vince's comments about taking an introductory class.

I think if you are not an experienced paddler you might find the 22-inch beam on the Sea Lion a bit tippy at your size. If you're just tooling around you want a boat you can feel comfortable in for taking photos, etc. Beam isn't the only arbiter of stability, but it contributes. All else being equal, I think you'd be more comfortable in a 23- or 24-inch beam.

If you can try it that should tell you.

Do look for signs of aging and brittleness in the plastic. It's a dead boat if it's suffered UV degradation.

reconbyfire

Observer
I would go for something else if just tooling around in rivers and lakes.

My wife and I own 4 perception prodigy 10's. We use them at the lake and rivers 3 days a week throughout the spring and summer. They have a max load of 275lbs. The prodigy 12's max load at 300. Maneuverability is great and tracking is too. Easy storage and handling(not too long or heavy). A friend of mine kayaked for 2 or so hours in the prodigy 10 and he weighs about 350lbs. Never an issue.

The cost with paddles was about $350 each new.

Edit: Already said but I will reiterate: Sit in every Kayak you are interested in and test drive it if possible. My lake neighbor, Chuck, tried out ours, loved the cost, and bought two.

In action:
Kayak093resize.jpg

Last edited:

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
I agree - proper instruction really makes kayaking more fun and more safe.

Whatever kayak you get, it won't be your last!

One advantage of a sit-on-top is when you fall off you can climb back on by yourself with minimal effort.

A streamlined kayak with a deck is much nicer to paddle when you've got the hang of it. Its also a different kettle of fish when you capsize and can't right or rescue yourself! If you're with people who know what they're doing they can get you back in your boat on the spot. Otherwise you're looking at a swim to the shore with a waterlogged boat.

I'm jealous. I want a new kayak. Or two. :)

Cheers,
Graham

p.s. If you like quality English seacraft my parents have been very happy with P&H kayaks. I think they both still have Sirius models and have had Quests in the past. If you need some motivation to acquire more toys and play with them in faraway places, my mum wrote about some of their adventures...

Sweden, Croatia, Newfoundland, New Zealand

I'm too lazy to paddle between places - I'm more of a downhill kind of guy!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12