Is this rack overkill for a roof top tent? (Tepui Autana)

mattsmth1405

Hello everyone.

I'm a new member to this forum after deciding to get a Tepui Autana Sky.

The current question is: What rack should I get to support this tent?

My 2014 Ford Escape has a naked roof. I will be using the tent mainly has a simple car-camping base for hiking and mountain biking trips. I will also be using the tent and annex as a sort of "pit stop" for some of the long-distance mountain bike races that I do. I will not be off-roading or doing and backcountry driving in order to get to camp.

I reached out to a local rack dealer in order to get a quote for a rack. The quote was incredibly high, and the actually rack set-up itself seemed a bit overkill for my needs.
Attached is a picture of what they did with a ford escape.
Screenshot (5).jpg

Based on my needs, would anyone be able to suggest something simpler, like a simple q-tower type set-up? Would I be able to use the clip-on style clamps made by yakima and thule? Or is something like this quite necessary?

Thanks for your help!

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I can't answer your specific question, it is an engineering question, but I can say that I don't really believe in overkill for a rack. The more you can distribute load, the better off you are. The tent probably weighs 130 lbs before bedding, you, maybe another person, and some gear... And you are moving around. open your car door, stand on the jamb, and push down on the roof, watch it dimple, then ask if your rack is overkill...

for comparison sake, I believe the stated load capacity of the exo style rack on my Jeep is 300 lb dynamic, 800 static, and it cost almost $2000.

Box Rocket

Hello everyone.

My 2014 Ford Escape has a naked roof. I will be using the tent mainly has a simple car-camping base for hiking and mountain biking trips. I will also be using the tent and annex as a sort of "pit stop" for some of the long-distance mountain bike races that I do. I will not be off-roading or doing and backcountry driving in order to get to camp.

I reached out to a local rack dealer in order to get a quote for a rack. The quote was incredibly high, and the actually rack set-up itself seemed a bit overkill for my needs.
View attachment 381293

Based on my needs, would anyone be able to suggest something simpler, like a simple q-tower type set-up? Would I be able to use the clip-on style clamps made by yakima and thule? Or is something like this quite necessary?

Thanks for your help!
That rack is not overkill for a Tepui Autana. It's a very appropriate rack for that tent and I wouldn't use anything lighter duty than that.

Sea&Xc

A rail or track based system from Yakima or Thule would be fine in many cases. Be sure it gets the full 165lb dynamic rating.

Do not use any of the clip-on systems, Qtower, Baseline, Traverse feet as it focuses the weight over a very small portion of the roof. Dynamically it'll be fine but put 2 people in the tent and you are likely to dent the roof and compromise the fit of the clips.

The custom track system you have pictured will give you a solid system that's easy to adjust to get the ideal bar placement for your needs. It is more expensive and better in almost every situation for naked roof cars and trucks. I've tracked a few different vehicles primarily for kayaks and heavily loaded cargo boxes.

SnoViking

Adventurer
If you go with a mounted track system; Check and see if the escape already has mounting points/bolts under the rubber portion in the drip tray. Some of the escapes came with rails.

I'm a big fan of the track systems because of the versatility and weight disperseness. Once you enter the roof rack world, you'll never go back. If you can mount the track using existing bolts in the roof you'll be miles ahead. Also, if you have to drill and bolt into the roof, try to position the track furthest out towards the drip rail (the roof is more supported closer to the vertical walls and stronger) and use the best (I repeat; USE THE BEST) sealer (silicone/acrylic, etc) you can find and buy. You'll pay $6 more for the tube now but it will last much much longer and save you a leaky roof in the future.

mattsmth1405

This is all fantastic information, everyone. After doing some homework, it is clear that a track-type system is ideal. At first I was worried about this being too invasive but, after hearing the feedback here, I'm sure it will be the best decision for the long-run.

Cheers!

Livnxxl

Hello everyone.

View attachment 381293

Thanks for your help!

I have the grand Savana and I use 3 Yakima bars. going on 3 years now with no issues

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78