Is this safe, for my EcoFlow Delta 2.

3FIndustries

Ive been working on building a little gear hauler trailer... I have asked a few questions before, but solar is really new to me and , like most, pretty confusing.. My "power plant" for my trailer is an Ecoflow Delta 2 w/ extra battery.. Ive been playing around with it and have been very pleased.. I plan on eventually hooking it up to a small fuse panel to run some lights and maybe a fan... I really would like to maximize my solar capabilities.. and i have a decent amount of real estate to work with... I picked up x3 of the eco flow ridgid panels while on sale.. and have played around with x2 of them and hooked them up to the delta in parallel, and Ive just been fascinated on the whole solar bandwagon. My main question is can i hook up X4 of these panels, safely? My biggest fear is damaging the delta 2.. Forgive me ignorance/paranoia... Per the Ecoflow website i found a graphic stating i can run 4 panels but no info as to in how... Direct from the ecoflow website the Delta 2 is capable of 11-60V, 15A, 500W max, in solar input.... Ive found this neat calculator, that made things pretty understandable for me.. but i was just amazed at some of the numbers, more specifically how low some were (amps)... I have attached a screen grab of the panels i have, as well as what this calculator gave me..

If this is all true, id like to pickup one more panel and wire them like the stated diagram in a 2s2p manner. I just wanted to calm my paranoia and double check with some experts...

Also, playing around with this calculator.. what is the meaning of clipped power? is this good/bad?

Attachments

• solar panel string.png
    solar panel string.png
    453.2 KB · Views: 8
  • panel specs.png
    panel specs.png
    51.9 KB · Views: 8

Dave in AZ

Ive been working on building a little gear hauler trailer... I have asked a few questions before, but solar is really new to me and , like most, pretty confusing.. My "power plant" for my trailer is an Ecoflow Delta 2 w/ extra battery.. Ive been playing around with it and have been very pleased.. I plan on eventually hooking it up to a small fuse panel to run some lights and maybe a fan... I really would like to maximize my solar capabilities.. and i have a decent amount of real estate to work with... I picked up x3 of the eco flow ridgid panels while on sale.. and have played around with x2 of them and hooked them up to the delta in parallel, and Ive just been fascinated on the whole solar bandwagon. My main question is can i hook up X4 of these panels, safely? My biggest fear is damaging the delta 2.. Forgive me ignorance/paranoia... Per the Ecoflow website i found a graphic stating i can run 4 panels but no info as to in how... Direct from the ecoflow website the Delta 2 is capable of 11-60V, 15A, 500W max, in solar input.... Ive found this neat calculator, that made things pretty understandable for me.. but i was just amazed at some of the numbers, more specifically how low some were (amps)... I have attached a screen grab of the panels i have, as well as what this calculator gave me..

If this is all true, id like to pickup one more panel and wire them like the stated diagram in a 2s2p manner. I just wanted to calm my paranoia and double check with some experts...

Also, playing around with this calculator.. what is the meaning of clipped power? is this good/bad?
Panels are 20.3 voc, -0.33%/c, and 5.9A.
Your power station 11-60v, and 60v is the number to avoid! If you go over 60v, it will burn out power station.
However, the power station will self limit to 15A and 500w max without issue.
So, 2 panels in series gives 40.6v. Not sure what voc is rated at, think 68f or 20c. Let's say you get down to -5f, or -20c, that is a 40c drop. So 40 x 0.33% is about 15%, so at -20c your voc will be 46v. So that is safe, but you can't add another in series. And amps stay 5.9.

If you do 2 sets of those series, and put in parallel, so 2s2p, you get 46v and 11.8A, both fine.

If it ever got that cold and they volted up that high, you'd get a theoretical 543W. This is fine, it is called overpanelling, the power station would just limit it to 500W. That is the "clipped power". But in truth, 99.999% of time you will generate like 250 to 300W with that 400W of panels. Less early AM and late afternoon.

I like overpanelling if you can fit the panels, then you get closer to actually getting 500W input. Heck if you could fit 2 more panels, you could go 2s3p for 600W notional. Maybe around noon might get a bit of power clipping, but rest of day would get 480W instead of 250. This is how I would do it. Again, only overvoltage is an issue for power stations, they can regulate extra amps and watts fine.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior