Is this Tire Repairable?

thecriscokid

Explorer
Was out the other day in less than desirable conditions but, my friend just got one of his 80 series cruisers trail worthy so...

Lots of fully locked, manky, slick as snot driving. Guess it was good for "testing"??

A fallen tree with a 1 1/2" branch is what stopped me from the sideways slide. 20psi, kind of a "Y" shaped cut.

I'm thinking that it will be a tire to practice repairs on but nothing else. Stitching and a large patch?

photo.jpg

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
You could experiement with it for sh%# & giggles, patch & tube it for a spare for emergency sake...

however I would never run on a tire that has sidewall damage like that.

Eventhough

Explorer
I'd only use that tire to test my stitching and patching on. Stitch it, patch it, tube it, and use it as a trail only spare.

thecriscokid

Explorer
I'd only use that tire to test my stitching and patching on. Stitch it, patch it, tube it, and use it as a trail only spare.

That's what I am feeling. I kind of want to take it out on a trail after I repair it to see what happens to the repair when driven through some terrain. I don't think I will even drive the few miles to the trailhead on it though. Curious if I can get it to hold air without a tube. I'll take my normal tire and normal spare for that experiment.

LR Max

Local Oaf
I've heard about "sewing" a tire sidewall. However I've never seen it or known anyone who has done it.

Also there is a way to melt the tire, vulcanizing.

Either way I wouldn't ever run it on the road again. Now if it was on a beat up old K5 with no plates and I had about 500 acres of land that I drive around on, then yes.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Also there is a way to melt the tire, vulcanizing.

Yep, and some tire shops will repair sidewall damage using that method.

I ended up with a gash in the sidewall of my fairly new tire, less than 3K miles on it:snorkel:

For $50 ($60 w/the remount/balance/new stem) I had my tire fixed.

Cheaper than a new tire at $200+

Downsides:

Not all sidewall damage can be repaired

It's not advised to use it 'aired down' (Guys at the tire shop don't know how it would hold up used that way)

But for on road, at highway pressure, they are fine.

I opted to have mine repaired, since it's on the outside of the Jeep, and matches the other 4.
:coffeedrink:

Eventhough

Explorer
That's what I am feeling. I kind of want to take it out on a trail after I repair it to see what happens to the repair when driven through some terrain. I don't think I will even drive the few miles to the trailhead on it though. Curious if I can get it to hold air without a tube. I'll take my normal tire and normal spare for that experiment.

I'd be interested in seeing a few posts and pics on your repair and the results if you would be so kind!

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Repairable yes, roadworthy no.

Extensive tire repair is possible, including sidewall stitching. If you would like to see a series of video of tire repairs from simple to extreme the videos can be seen at the Adventure Trailers website.

If you want hands on experience sign up for my clinic at next years Overland Expo.

thecriscokid

Explorer
Repairable yes, roadworthy no.

Extensive tire repair is possible, including sidewall stitching. If you would like to see a series of video of tire repairs from simple to extreme the videos can be seen at the Adventure Trailers website.

If you want hands on experience sign up for my clinic at next years Overland Expo.

Thanks Martyn,
I have watched some of your videos in the past. Well done they are.
I don't recall seeing how the initial thread holes were made. I have been thinking a hand drill in the field would work. I guess I could bring my own tire to the clinic:ylsmoke:

I will post up my results when I get around to it

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Thanks Martyn,
I have watched some of your videos in the past. Well done they are.
I don't recall seeing how the initial thread holes were made. I have been thinking a hand drill in the field would work. I guess I could bring my own tire to the clinic:ylsmoke:

I will post up my results when I get around to it

You can make the holes with the plug reamer or a power drill if you have one.

ExpoMike

I took both of Martyn's classes at Overland Expo 2010 and they were great. Really useful and watching him sew up the sidewill of a tire was almost a work of art.

That said, unless there was zero other options, I would really not want to do this. It is a lot of work!

grntrdtaco

Adventurer
i jammed about 7 plugs into a sidewall gash i got last weekend. it held the rest of the trip about 7 hours of offroad driving aired down to 20 and about an hour and a half of highway driving at full pressure (at 15 it was leaking every time the plug hit the ground.. it let out a phhhhttt of air every rotation). The tire was fully inflated this morning. sure beats sewing and changing the tire. :) as long as the cut is straight i think you can cram a dozen plugs into it and it will hold pretty well.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/asset.php?fid=69216&uid=4555&d=1317108015

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    418.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

r_w

Adventurer
as long as the cut is straight i think you can cram a dozen plugs into it and it will hold pretty well.

Probably. The Y shaped gash is another story.

I have seen gashes like the OP's fixed with a homemade boot and BOLTS. These were farm tires, never to see more than 20 mph. One of which held air until the bolts rusted out :Wow1:

Is it bias ply or radial? I've repaired bias ply's with 4in gashes and they were drove all the way home on. I wouldn't recommend it but my friend Chris drove on his for almost two weeks before getting fixed. It had probably 20 plugs and 4 of those patches that come in the kits on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998