Isuzu guys, I got a axle question

tag187

Observer
Ok I'm building a 1949 Willy's wagon, and it looks like I can fit an Isuzu axle under the rear end. I am looking at either the Isuzu Corp 12-bolt from a 1st gen or the Dana 44 from a 1st gen rodeo. I want to run a ARB, are they available for them both, also I don't plan on running taller tires than 34-35s are either of these axles going to have issues with the tire size? Any info and experience will be a great help. Thanks guys.

logos

Observer
http://www.zu4x.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=21

This is a good source on Isuzu rear axles. I'm looking for one to put in my Jeep. You should double check with the ARB website, but lockers are available with the Dana 44 and the 12 bolt. The dana 44 uses a thick ring gear and therefore the smaller carrier. In the Jeep world, dana 44's are good up to 37" tires with a reasonable driver. I'm sure the 1.5 diamter axle from the Isuzu 12 bolt could also handle the same since it is actually larger than the dana 44's 1.3" diameter axle.

tag187

Observer
well looks like I'm going with the 3rd gen. 12 bolt, I went out on a run with a local club that is strictly isuzu and all say go with the 12 (and most of them only run the 12) they say while the 44 is a good axle it's just not as strong and also while yes on the domestic end a locked 44 will hold up to 35-37" tires they say the isuzu 44 will be at its limits running 35" tires under the same circumstances. So 12 bolt it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears