Isuzu trooper 16x7 spare steelies as main wheels...

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Isuzu aftermarket rims are either not my style or more money than i want to spend. I'm going to be rocking 235-85r16's most likely. How about spare steelies for that cheap price, thin profile and cool NATO look?

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Its what I would do - I like the simple steel pizza cutter wheel look as well. The white JKU that was featured here on Expo for a while also used "winter wheels" which are the same as spares for its wheels.

Go for it.

jl8088

Adventurer
Not feeling it. Just use stock 16" aluminum trooper wheels. Wanna be special, get the limited edition wheels.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Not feeling it. Just use stock 16" aluminum trooper wheels. Wanna be special, get the limited edition wheels.
To each his own - my wife doesnt like the idea either...lol.

All four of my current aluminum wheels are knackered. Do you have a source for the new or new old stock wheels you're talking about? Not looking for used wheels...

I MAY end up going with used spares if needed but then, most spares have never touched the road. So even though they wouldn't be technically "new in box" they'd likely be very fresh/clean/straight.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Its what I would do - I like the simple steel pizza cutter wheel look as well. The white JKU that was featured here on Expo for a while also used "winter wheels" which are the same as spares for its wheels.

Go for it.

Yeah, i like that rig. Having had a vehicle stolen, i'm all about that "don't bother stealing me" look. :)

jl8088

Adventurer
Have you thought about putting on the 6 lug Toyota Tundra limited double spoke 17x7.5 wheels? It's a nice fit and still looks oem, albeit a different manufacturer. I ended up deciding against it because 17" tires are a little more expensive and I'd have to convert the spare too. It was a close call.

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/AC/8226-04043542.html?utm_content=AYY&utm_term=2003-2006+Toyota+Tundra+Wheel+Action+Crash+ALY69440U20N+Platinum+Plus+03-06+Toyota+Wheel+04+05&fp=pp&gbm=a&utm_source=google&utm_medium=ff&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Google+Base&gclid=CM6diOKdocwCFYpbfgodx1YCSg

justcuz

Explorer
I guess with a 235/75 tire you would be OK. A 7" wheel with 5.5" of back spacing is a lot, do the alloys have the same?

I have also seen Nissan Hardbody chrome rims on some Isuzu's and Toyotas. They look nice too. Lots of six lug options out there since all the Japanese SUVs used the same bolt pattern. If it was me I would be looking in the wrecking yard for a matched set of wheels off of any 6 lug Japanese SUV that fit over your hub. You can look up the offset, lug pattern, backspacing and center bore online.

I have to admit, a stock 2nd generation Isuzu Trooper is probably one of the most innocuous stock vehicles out there. Most folks hardly give them a second look.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Have you thought about putting on the 6 lug Toyota Tundra limited double spoke 17x7.5 wheels? It's a nice fit and still looks oem, albeit a different manufacturer. I ended up deciding against it because 17" tires are a little more expensive and I'd have to convert the spare too. It was a close call.

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/AC/8226-04043542.html?utm_content=AYY&utm_term=2003-2006+Toyota+Tundra+Wheel+Action+Crash+ALY69440U20N+Platinum+Plus+03-06+Toyota+Wheel+04+05&fp=pp&gbm=a&utm_source=google&utm_medium=ff&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Google+Base&gclid=CM6diOKdocwCFYpbfgodx1YCSg

I hadnt considered those. Thanks for the link!

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
I guess with a 235/75 tire you would be OK. A 7" wheel with 5.5" of back spacing is a lot, do the alloys have the same?

I think you are confusing the specs - they say "5.5 inch BP" which I think is the bolt pattern also called the bolt circle diameter. The backspacing and/or ET is not specified on those wheels.

SuperTrooper

Observer
The stock steel wheels do have more backspaceing and sit pretty far in giving you a really narrow stance. I went with some 16x8 lx450 rims and they sit nice and flush with the fender flares.

outofrshell

Adventurer
From a personal experience I do not trust Isuzu alloy rims anymore and maybe it was just one style but I had 16" Rodeo wheels on my 89 Troop with 235x85x16 tires.What a great set up, narrow but little taller that was until I got a wheel hung up in the rocks at the end of Hells Revenge. The wheel broke around the circumference leaving it rapped around the rear axle, When I got every thing sorted out and had time to examine the rim the material thickness at the point where it broke was less than an 1/8", a steel rim would have certainly bent but not failed

I think you are right on track using the steel spare wheel Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998