It's not a Land Rover...

ex m38a1er

Adventurer
1980_Camel_Trophy_Jeep_02.jpg

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Yup, the first CT was done with Ford U50's (CJ5's built under license), then they switched to Land Rovers.
If I'm not mistaken the last one was done in Honda CRV's with Land Rover 110HCPU's as support.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Honda CRV? Wow, back at an old employer we had a CRV as an office vehicle and we called it the crap-RV.

bunduguy

Supporting Sponsor
The last one was not done in Honda CRV's, it was done RIBs as the competition vehicle, boats.

Correct. The teams used RIBTEC 655's, but the support vehicles were CRV's and 110 HCPU. (Not the same as competing with them though.) And those were some cool-*** boats - got to see one close up when for sale, and was sooooo tempted to buy it. But alas, not a real Camel Trophy event!

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Discos were used in the last real Camel Trophy:smiley_drive:

That would be 1996. The Jeep was a natural for the Camel as well. Let's face it, Jeep and Land Rover stand alone in their legendary status in the off-road world. Other great vehicles were built under their inspiration, but these were the seminal marques, and always will be . . .

David

NOMADIC_LJ

Explorer
That would be 1996. The Jeep was a natural for the Camel as well. Let's face it, Jeep and Land Rover stand alone in their legendary status in the off-road world. Other great vehicles were built under their inspiration, but these were the seminal marques, and always will be . . .

David

I agree! If I didn't have my LJ I would be driving a series Rover.

Owyhee H

Adventurer
Let's face it, Jeep and Land Rover stand alone in their legendary status in the off-road world.

David

They can stand alone all they want while the toyota's are rolling on by.....:coffeedrink:

All kidding aside its interesting to see those old Ford/Jeeps were the first CT rigs.

Topgun514

Adventurer
I agree! If I didn't have my LJ I would be driving a series Rover.

I like them too, but they cast an odd spell that turns you into an ***-hole.:sombrero:

Just Kidding.

Though this is the true character of things.

Toyota Guys: Perfectionists
Jeep Guys: Ghetto Rig
Land Rover Guys: Cocky Ego Syndrome

Owyhee H

Adventurer
Im impressed that even that toyota made on the trip it took. I think any truck would be in a world of hurt after that trip.

All rigs have their strengths and weaknesses, we can all have fun with it cant we....

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Im impressed that even that toyota made on the trip it took. I think any truck would be in a world of hurt after that trip.

All rigs have their strengths and weaknesses, we can all have fun with it cant we....

Amen . . just a little reality check to the "Toyotas rolling by . . . " quip.

Cheers,

David

rustyjames

Observer
All three are very capable. I owned a 65 series IIA and a defender 90 and thought both were great. I still have my 01 jeep tj and it's been super reliable and able to tackle all different terrains with ease. I am interested in trying out the 80 series cruiser to gain more comfort on long trips. I think they're all pretty cool rigs!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12