It's not pretty, and it's not a Jeep...

jtpaintball70

Adventurer
But I finally have something better on gas than my F150 and it's a 4x4!
89 K1500 Chevy w/ a 350 in it.
79ede625.jpg

210b9fe5.jpg

b1500e57.jpg

Not the best body, but it run strong. Gonna probably build it a little for trail running and expo. Thinking a lift and 33" MTs, along with some Tuffy boxes and an ARB front bumper and a tailgate/tire carrier combo.
Now to get rid of that topper (from my 150, but it doesn't fit the 1500)

I was originally wanting to build an XJ for expo, but I might try my hand at this one. Eventually want another Jeep but I'll take this for now

Rot Box

Explorer
If I had to depend on one EFI full size truck from here on out I would pick the TBI GM's. They are fairly simple to work on, parts are everywhere, reliable and they just go and go and go and go :coffeedrink:

Some things I would consider start with a http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/app_chevy-k.html there is nothing worse than a common failed solenoid for the 4wd that leaves you walking home (ask me how I know :Wow1:).

I don't know how mechanically inclined you are, but if you plan to load the truck down and hit the dirt a lot I would look into a semi float 14bolt rear axle out of a light duty 2500 of the same vintage. They have six lugs to match what you have and nearly swap in. The strength improvement over your ten bolt axle is HUGE.

In my bad experiences I will say that if the truck is an auto I would very much look into a transmission temperature gauge and an additional cooler. If the trans shifts up and down a lot while driving you must shift into 3rd and slow down a bit. The heat it builds when shifting will kill your trans very quickly if you are not careful. While this may be common sense I have been on the side of the road 3 times now because friends didn't know any better LOL :bike_rider:

Best of luck with your new 4x4!

Capt Sport

Adventurer
Congrats on the new truck. My dad had an '88 and he worked the ever liven a** out of that truck and it went well over 200K. As stated above they are reliable, cheap to work on and parts are easy to come by.

jtpaintball70

Adventurer
I like the look of the posi-lock. I'm getting a parts list together. A new bed (a better shape one anyways), CARR lightbar, ARB bumper... Some kind of rear bumper, Softopper, Tuffy gear, Tire tailgate. 4" lift and 33"s (or the metric equiv).

And most definately an electric fan, tranny cooler, vents, and if I could actually find one a snorkel.

Probably a 14 bolt whenever I happen to break the current axle. I jsut wish I knew exactly what t-case and tranny I had in there.

boellis87

Observer
T-case is good; should be a np241. If it's auto, the trans should be a 700r4 (at least I'm pretty sure they weren't 4L60's at that point--early '90s I think). I'm not totally sure about the manuals, but I think it might be a nv3500 or 3550. I'm not as well-researched on the manual trans changes from year-to-year.

Mr. Moore

Observer
I had an 88 GMC, and it was bullet proof. the manual trans are fantastic. if it is an auto I would be willing to put money (if i had any) on the fact that it is a 700R4 which is a good trans. your weak point will be the rear end. But that just gives you an ecxuse to upgrade when it does:sombrero:

85CUCV

Adventurer
I've got a NIB Posi-lok I never installed on my 96 yukon (six lug 1/2 ton). I'd make a deal on it if you are interested.

jtpaintball70

Adventurer
Looks like any mods I had planned are on hold for a little. Tranny is slipping. Probably gonna buy the rebuild kit and do it myself (and piss off my apartment complex management in the process).

And 85CUCV, I might take you up on that if you still have it in a month or two. I just started a job here in Denver (finally!) and need to get some paychecks coming in before I spend too much on toys for the toy

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Nice!

I had an '89 2500 HD,unfortunately sans 4wd. That engine was so devoid of underhood crap that I could change plugs out in 35 minutes. Very roomy cab and comfortable seating. The TBI system is super reliable and relatively simple compared to the newer one. I'd still have that truck if I hadn't choked and bought the 2wd. Best of luck.:victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78