Its Timing Belt...time!

RttH

Its that time again. (no pun intended). I do not have the knowledge/time/or tools to do my own timing belt, etc change. At 60k miles (6 years ago) it cost me $1400. Now approaching 120k miles I am getting quotes nearing $2000. This includes belts/water pump,spark plugs and wires, etc... how much should I really be expecting?? Should I change at a different mileage interval?

I have had timing belts go out at 54k, 62k on other cars. I am a little hesitant to wait, but the price seems so high! This is quotes from Dealers. I feel that a Mitsu dealer will give me Mitsu parts, and should be Mitsu trained. Since these trucks are not as popular I really am nervous to trust my truck to someone who doesn't work on Monteros.

I am in Colorado, so if anyone knows of a reputable mitsu mechanic...

Thanks!

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Roger,

That does seem very high. Double check what they're charging you for parts. Cheapest Mitsu dealer for parts that I've found is Southwest Mitsubishi.

The last few I've had done on my 2001 and 1994 were done by independent mechanics. I don't think Mitsubishi engines are that much different than Toyota, Nissan, Honda, etc. So, I would try to find a good, reputable mechanic and trust him to do the work. Maybe you could even work out a deal to order the parts from Southwest Mitsubishi to save some more money.

You might want to include some of the pulleys too and the serpentine belt while you're at it.

Silverwulf

Adventurer
I need to a 60k in 3k miles. So I'm right there with you. I went to my local dealer and got a quote for just the 60k parts plus 2 inner front boot kits and it was $3200 for the parts alone!!! ******!!!

So, at least I have a list with the O.E. part numbers and will either get parts from IMC or world pack through my dad's shop. That gets me cost +10% and I pay him sales tax.

Option 2, There is a guy on ebay that has a 60k kit with all betls tensioner, pulleys ans h20 pump Etc etc for $495.

I have access to any tools I may need. Only thing that is sketchy is I really feel it is important to use a MITSUBISHI hydrolic t-belt tensioner. Because that is the 1 part (besides the belt) that if it fails will cause catastrophic failure.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
It is time for my 120K t-belt change. Surprisingly, the dealer was where I got the cheapest quote; $594. If it needs a water pump and tensioner it will be another $250 parts and labor. Still less than $1K. Plus, my dealer currently has a 15% off coupon on t-belt change. That price seems really high, I would shop around some.

Smksignals

Explorer
Mitsubishi (actually all car manufactures) do not make their own parts. They just re-box them from other suppliers. MBL I believe manufacture the timing belt for Mitsubishi. Find yourself a reputable independent repair facility that uses original manufacture parts from the aftermarket. Save yourself 50% on cardboard boxes.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Mine (3.5L DOHC) is arguably one of the harder mitsu's to do and it was done in one day just recently for a hair under $800 (not via the stealership) and that's from a reputable mechanic in the San Francisco Bay Area (Fremont) who does a lot of work for the local PD's fleet of vehicles.

Work done included replacing the belts, pulleys, tensioners, & leaking seals.:ylsmoke:

RttH

Thanks everyone. I am still looking around for a good mechanic ( no hurry). Once I find one maybe I'll use Tony's suggestion and get the parts from SW Mitsubishi. An auto repair place nearby gave me a quote of $900 and using NAPA parts. I just need to hear from everyone's opinions to make a better decision. Thanks again!

RttH

Yea! I spoke with the service manager at a dealership I used to go to when they carried Mitsubishi. They still have their Mitsubishi Master mechanic of 30 years working there and I am going over tomorrow to get together and we will order parts online and they will install at a much better rate! Timing, water pump, tensioners, serpintine, etc... he said should be under $900 total. They have always been good to me (like waving labor on oil changes and Porsche as a loaner car). I should have started with them. Thanks everyone for your input!

nemoaz

Observer
My last Monty was a 3.0 and any Dodge/Chrysler dealer knew how to service it. I'm not sure about the DOHC v6 engines, I think the Stealth had one, but even if they aren't related I doubt the vary that much from the DOHC 4 cyls. A good mechanic can handle it. It won't take a guy who works on only those 3500 Mits v6's all day long.

INSAYN

Adventurer
If you don't do your own work because of mechanical skills, area to work in, or just don't have time, you are kinda stuck with dealer quotes and that is all part of the game.

If you are a DIY'r or think you want to give it a go on your own here is my go to for parts. Rockauto.com has been a great source for parts for all my trucks. From them, you have the choice of better, worse, or same parts as the OEM uses on most common brand vehicles and at lower costs. Some of the parts that the dealer quotes a price on are ridiculously over priced for the same part through Rockauto.

RttH

Timing belt, a/c belt, pully's, tensioners, water pump, etc...DONE! 5 hours and $873. Not bad! I'm happy.

I asked to see all parts pulled and actually everything looked in great shape. Timing belt had 60k on it and it still looked new, kind of a bummer, but since I have had belts go early on other cars in my life, I wanted this all done before I begin my summer journeys.

Thanks for eveyone input!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears