I've been lame...

ihatemybike

Explorer
Grumpy's front suspension has been pulled apart for almost a year.

Green runs great, but has seen too many salty winters.

I bought a cheap Blazer to flip for profit, but ended driving it.

Between my vehicles and my wife's Jeep, I spend way too much time wrenching. Thus, I've pretty much decided to sell all of them and start fresh. My wife is visiting Oregon and Washington and I'm having her inspect a few Astros in the area. Hoping to find a good running van with a great body.

I have full on expo style plans in my head for it. Idea being that I want something that could be lived in full time. It needs to be good all around, year round. I want to be able to flat tow my wife's Jeep, then follow her through most trails. I would also like to be able to carry around a pair of lightweight street legal FX Mountain Motos, but I'm not sure they will ever get in production.

Blazer should be going up on CL this week. Green and Grumpy as soon as reasonable. Hoping to ride the KE out to Washington a pick up a van in July.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Normally I'm a fan of the "run what ya' brung" philosophy, but I think you've gotten both the mileage and usage out of your vehicles to justify starting a bit more "fresh" with something with a bit fewer miles on the clock!

You know the platform as well as anyone, so you'll be able to spot the good ones versus the ones that are lost causes. Good luck!!

ihatemybike

Explorer
Honestly, since they have been out of production so long it's getting to be if the body is good to great it's worth working with. I have zero problems swapping parts, but I don't have the tools or experience for body work.

Hoping Astro number eight is great.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Honestly, since they have been out of production so long it's getting to be if the body is good to great it's worth working with. I have zero problems swapping parts, but I don't have the tools or experience for body work.

Agreed. Body first, then low(ish) miles as a bonus, but we're starting to enter the window where time takes almost as much of a toll as mileage. My low-miles daily-driver Subaru is starting to get to that point, as after 13+ years the rubber bits are starting to dry out, etc.

ihatemybike

Explorer
Yeah. getting to the point that if you are changing ball joints, change everything else at the same time. Have it apart once and be done with it for a while.

Slicky72

Adventurer
It's an ambitious project but I am sure it will be rewarding. These dang vans are such a great platform for so many things . Good luck with the hunt!

arlon

Adventurer
I looked for almost a year before I found the one I have. Perfect bodies, low miles, AWD, locker and towing package took awhile so don't be in too big of a hurry! There are some nice ones out there still.

rockbender

Adventurer
I just want to add that your planned KE100 adventure is a bold endeavor, sir! I went on a 60 mile ride a few weekends ago on my wife's 1972 CL100 and was thinking about you and your upcoming journey. As long as you've got the time to slow things down a notch I think it will be most excellent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998