I've left the Toyota Fold, AKA my Montero Build Thread

red87

Adventurer
More updates!

I finally installed my HID lights tonight. These are the same ones that were on the front of my Toyota. I couldn't find anywhere to put the wires through the firewall until CYi5 gave me some help on the matter. Turns out all the wires go through one big fitting on the passenger side and its super easy to shove a couple more through. The pictures this time aren't great because I forgot to document until I was part way though. Ooops :elkgrin:

So the first thing I did (after buying wire) was to pull wires through the firewall and install the switch. That way I figured I could just work my way around to the battery. That was more difficult than it should've been as the dealer had apparently bathed the car in armor-all. As I now know, NOTHING sticks to that. But that wasn't anything some Goo Gone couldn't deal with and, as an added bonus, it took the residual adhesive off the door where I had removed the "How to use four wheel drive" sticker. I'm a grown *** man, I don't need a sticker to tell me that. That said, I still forget to put it in Neutral sometimes. This whole automatic trans thing is hard to adjust to :sombrero:

DSCF0954.JPG

Next step was to mount the lights. I had been messing around with ideas for that and I decided on just bolting them to the bumper. That center section comes right out so its easy to replace if I don't like em later and I can hide the ballasts under it for a nice, clean install. After some measuring and some dry runs, I decided on mounting the lights nine inches in from the edge and centered front to back.

DSCF0947.JPG

Then I ran into the problem of how to mount the ballasts. I already knew I was putting them under that top piece but I didn't know how I would secure them. I like mechanical attachments much better than tape or glue so those two were out. As we know, the first holes are the hardest to drill and the rest come easy so I figured the best way to secure the ballasts was to drill a couple holes in the lower bumper part and use some zip ties to hold them down. Pro tip: if you want to drill and/or mark on chrome, lay some masking tape down first. Its easy to write on and helps the drill bit not move around so much when you're starting the hole.

DSCF0946.JPG

While the holes were being enlarged to 1/4" to fit the zip ties, my friend had the brilliant idea to put little bits of rubber in the holes to act as buffers and prevent the sharp edges of the holes from eventually wearing through the zip ties. Apparently he uses something like that in his day job building bridges.

DSCF0949.JPG

We also decided it was prudent to add some dense, closed cell foam rubber pads below the ballasts to both dampen vibration and add some tension to the mounting system and keep it tighter.

DSCF0950.JPG

While test fitting the top piece of the bumper, I noticed that it had a bit of a lip on the front I needed to be careful of. That led me to just push the ballasts all the way to where they were just flush with the rear of the bumper. That had the added bonus of reducing the number of holes I needed to drill because now I could just wrap the zip around the end of the bumper instead of drilling an additional hole for the rear of the ballast. The spacing between the ballasts is 1.5 inches. That gave me about a 1/4" clearance between the center support for the top and the ballasts.

DSCF0951.JPG

That bring us to my mostly finished shot. I finished up the wiring after this and then took my truck out and aimed the lights as best I could. I really wish I could say I meant to line up the fog lights and the off road lights so well but it was a complete accident. Sure looks nice though :)

DSCF0953.JPG

Last edited:

Silverwulf

Adventurer
Got a pic of the hole in the firewall? I ran the wires for my Hella's from the bumper to the battery then through a hole on the ds inner frnder, through the inner fender to a rubber grommetthat came out right by the fuse box under the dash. Came out pretty clean. I'll post a pic on my install later this weekend.

red87

Adventurer
Got a pic of the hole in the firewall? I ran the wires for my Hella's from the bumper to the battery then through a hole on the ds inner frnder, through the inner fender to a rubber grommetthat came out right by the fuse box under the dash. Came out pretty clean. I'll post a pic on my install later this weekend.

I do not. However, if you look at the far right side of the firewall, under the dash you'll see it. Its a big ol bunch of wires.

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
Any chance you can take a picture for me? I'm looking for a shot of the rear seat area with the front seats moved all the way back to see what kind of legroom these have. If you can manage it I'd appreciate it. There arent any for sale close enough to me to make cheacking one out easy and back seat legroom (or more precisely, LACK of it) was the reason to sell my 80 series.

red87

Adventurer
Any chance you can take a picture for me? I'm looking for a shot of the rear seat area with the front seats moved all the way back to see what kind of legroom these have. If you can manage it I'd appreciate it. There arent any for sale close enough to me to make cheacking one out easy and back seat legroom (or more precisely, LACK of it) was the reason to sell my 80 series.

I'm assuming you mean the middle row. I've sat in the third row and I fit better than I though (6'1"). It wasn't roomy but I could get in.

I took this with the driver's seat all the way back. Looks like 29" from the back of the front seat to the front of the seatback on the middle row and 11" from the back of the front seat to the front of the middle seat cushion. I'm comfy back there. All seats in the Montero do recline if that helps.

DSCF0956.JPG

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
I'm assuming you mean the middle row. I've sat in the third row and I fit better than I though (6'1"). It wasn't roomy but I could get in.

I took this with the driver's seat all the way back. Looks like 29" from the back of the front seat to the front of the seatback on the middle row and 11" from the back of the front seat to the front of the middle seat cushion. I'm comfy back there. All seats in the Montero do recline if that helps.

Excellent, thank you - looks like much more room than an 80 series, and looks like it sits up a bit taller than the front seat unless its a optical illusion in the pic. My son just turned 15 a couple days ago and just hit 6'3" so the back set (middle row) is more of an issue for us than most folks! I appreciate the pic.

red87

Adventurer
Excellent, thank you - looks like much more room than an 80 series, and looks like it sits up a bit taller than the front seat unless its a optical illusion in the pic. My son just turned 15 a couple days ago and just hit 6'3" so the back set (middle row) is more of an issue for us than most folks! I appreciate the pic.

6'3'?! You guys grow em big where you come from. I think you're right about the front seats but I'll go sit in them in a bit and get back to you.

CYi5

Explorer
All reclining seats and chrome door handles?? I think we have a new luxo-cruiser in the group. Sexy floor mats; ribbed for your protection.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
All reclining seats and chrome door handles?? I think we have a new luxo-cruiser in the group. Sexy floor mats; ribbed for your protection.

I think the SR's are all chrome door handles. Not sure about the RS/LS models though. SR's are the ones with the beefier axles and a stock rear locker.

The 96 SR with the split folding seats are reclinable but I'm not sure about the earlier non-split seats. However the gen I rear seats also reclined.

red87

Adventurer
I just checked and yes, the middle seats are higher than the front. By a pretty significant amount too.

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
I think the SR's are all chrome door handles. Not sure about the RS/LS models though. SR's are the ones with the beefier axles and a stock rear locker.

The 96 SR with the split folding seats are reclinable but I'm not sure about the earlier non-split seats. However the gen I rear seats also reclined.

My 99 SR has black door handles.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
My 99 SR has black door handles.

The inside door handles are black? Those are the chrome one's I'm talking about.

From what I recall the SR model wasn't offered in 99? At least that's what my research has shown. The LS/SR monikers were dropped after 1997.

The features may have still been available but the model was no longer an LS/SR.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior