Iveco challenge for the Defender?

bitoy

Observer
I hope they bring it to my side of the woods. It looks like a cross between an LR and a G-wagon. It looks tough. Leaf front springs? sheeesh!

Wander

Expedition Leader
Axles with disc's that are very close to a series huh....hey Fiat, could we just get the Axles???

SeaRubi

Explorer
I don't know if it would work as a utility vehicle here in the USA. The mindset in North America is the vehicle has to be massive to do this work. The bigger is better syndrome.

nailed it. Nothing is knocking the 1/2 ~ 3/4 ton pickup and 1 ton utility back trucks off their perch.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
The Massif is totally different from a Defender. It is much closer to a Series III 109 than to a Defender. It uses leaf springs at all 4 corners, the shock arrangement is very Series, the axles are very close to a Series but with disc brakes and by looking at the frame you can still see the Series truck influence.

Santana split off from licensing Rover products back in the Series days and went on their own journey. The Santana trucks evolved on their own into very cool machines, and the Iveco is just a rebadged Santana PS-10 (I prefer the PS-10's styling).

Yes I agree. We did some work matching trailer to the IVECO Massif and the tech drawings IVECO sent us were stamped Santana and translated into Italian.

TeriAnn

Explorer
Axles with disc's that are very close to a series huh....hey Fiat, could we just get the Axles???

Heystee Automotive adapted Santana paraboic springs, their disc brakes and power steering for use in Series over a decade ago. parabolic springs for Series Land Rovers available today are all offshoots from the original Santana springs. The disc brake conversions adapted for Series from the Santanas didn't go over well in the US because Santana used Mercedes commercial vehicle parts that are not sold into North America. I believe Fiat/IVECO is now using a different system.

Heystee Automotive has recently redesigned their Series disc brake offerings to use new hub and swivel housing castings and 1990's Defender off the shelf rotors & calipers. So consumable parts can be sourced any place where 1990's Defender parts are available.

Heystee Automotive is now offering new Santana type overdrives which have always been well regarded and considered very robust in the Series LR world.

DiscoNomad

Guys. Am I the only one that thinks this thing is fugly? It may be a Defender look alike but in all the wrong ways. If this thing comes to the US it would be a hard thing to overcome. Also leaf springs in all four corners?? Bummer.

94Discovery

Adventurer
Guys. Am I the only one that thinks this thing is fugly? It may be a Defender look alike but in all the wrong ways. If this thing comes to the US it would be a hard thing to overcome. Also leaf springs in all four corners?? Bummer.
x2 so ugly i could vomit

Wander

Expedition Leader
Heystee Automotive adapted Santana paraboic springs, their disc brakes and power steering for use in Series over a decade ago. parabolic springs for Series Land Rovers available today are all offshoots from the original Santana springs. The disc brake conversions adapted for Series from the Santanas didn't go over well in the US because Santana used Mercedes commercial vehicle parts that are not sold into North America. I believe Fiat/IVECO is now using a different system.

Heystee Automotive has recently redesigned their Series disc brake offerings to use new hub and swivel housing castings and 1990's Defender off the shelf rotors & calipers. So consumable parts can be sourced any place where 1990's Defender parts are available.

Heystee Automotive is now offering new Santana type overdrives which have always been well regarded and considered very robust in the Series LR world.

Thanks TeriAnn-that is good to hear for when I'm finished with the DI. I really can't complain too much about the brakes on the IIa-just adapt my driving style and it's fine. The OD is an item I am saving up for.

discotdi

Adventurer
the Defender will be back in the USA in 2013 or 2014. Of course it will be the new re-enginered Defender. The Defender as we know it today will be replaced worldwide by 2013 or 2014. Personally I am looking forward to it. I think the new one will be good. change can be a good thing.:)

jrose609

Explorer

No, butt-ugly is more like it.

JeffRRC

Adventurer
There is no way Fiat/Jeep would try to sell the Massif here as is. You know they would restyle the front end and call it a Jeep. Like I've said before, it should be the new Commander.

TeriAnn

Explorer
the Defender will be back in the USA in 2013 or 2014. Of course it will be the new re-enginered Defender. The Defender as we know it today will be replaced worldwide by 2013 or 2014. Personally I am looking forward to it. I think the new one will be good. change can be a good thing.:)

And the press has been talking about a unibody design that shares the same drive train and subframe sections with the LR4. I wonder if it will be offered in both 2WD & 4WD configurations and like the new Evoque look like it should be advertised being driven by gerbils. :confused:

discotdi

Adventurer
I have faith that LR will create a brilliant class leading vehicle in the the new Defender just as they have since 1948 with each new model.
Time marches on and LR must make vehicles which appeal to a wider audiencet in order to stay in business and I for one prefer that LR continues to thrive and make great 4x4's for years to come.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998