J8 to be built in South Carolina ???

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Mike,

Do you know what the specific differences are on the frame to allow the increase in load capacity?

With the leaf spring rear suspension, do they still retain the sway bar? How is the empty ride?

With the amount of JKUs I see running around that must weigh 7000-8000lbs I have to wonder how bad the coil suspension really is...

haven

Expedition Leader
One article I read said the J8 was shipped overseas as a knockdown kit because the Jeep assembly lines are running at peak capacity for the standard Wrangler. With Jeep spending as much as $1 billion to expand and modernize the Toledo plant, maybe assembly of the J8 could begin in USA.

More likely, the J8 will be discontinued and the new Jeep pickup offered in its place. Jeep wants that $1 billion investment to result in doubling the sales of Wrangler vehicles. A half ton pickup is sure to attract new buyers.
http://www.autoblog.com/2016/07/15/jeep-factories-upgrades-official/

twiisted71

Adventurer
LOL I guess I just don't get it. Everyone goes all googly-eyed when they see a Jeep with big tires, great ground clearance, and articulation like its the 2nd coming or something (they even come up with a whole new category---LCoGs i.e. JKU on 40s). Then along comes something with 'regular' size tires, increased weight, less ground clearance and LESS doors and suddenly its the coolest thing ever conceived (J8-lite or whatever they call it). Throw some 35s on a Jeepster Commando or Scrambler, Custom D44 front axle, diff lockers of your choice, Custom cage, custom bumpers/skids, and drop in an LS engine and voila.

Last edited:

unkamonkey

Explorer
There's a guy over on the CJ2A page that has a line "I'm too busy trying to steer this thing to give a Jeep wave". Or something like that.

2drx4

Adventurer
LOL I guess I just don't get it. Everyone goes all googly-eyed when they see a Jeep with big tires, great ground clearance, and articulation like its the 2nd coming or something (they even come up with a whole new category---LCoGs i.e. JKU on 40s). Then along comes something with 'regular' size tires, increased weight, less ground clearance and LESS doors and suddenly its the coolest thing ever conceived (J8-lite or whatever they call it). Throw some 35s on a Jeepster Commando or Scrambler, Custom D44 front axle, diff lockers of your choice, Custom cage, custom bumpers/skids, and drop in an LS engine and voila.

Actually, you can build a way more capable rig for less than the sticker price of a 'normal' JK Rubicon. Never mind whatever premium you will have to pay for the stuff in this thread.

But, some prefer not to roll their own, or don't have the know-how, or the time...

With the JK you can throw some bolt ons at it, still maintain the warranty, and it's a known quantity since every possible combination of aftermarket parts has already been tried. No R&D necessary on the part of the end user.

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader

Actually, you can build a way more capable rig for less than the sticker price of a 'normal' JK Rubicon. Never mind whatever premium you will have to pay for the stuff in this thread.

But, some prefer not to roll their own, or don't have the know-how, or the time...

With the JK you can throw some bolt ons at it, still maintain the warranty, and it's a known quantity since every possible combination of aftermarket parts has already been tried. No R&D necessary on the part of the end user.

But you have to have tools, time, and talent to build something yourself.....or pay someone else to do it.
Good quality shop labor is not free, perhaps $50-100 an hour these days.

I am all for building things. I would love to see more people do it. The percentage of projects that get finished by the person that start them is pretty low.

I have been working on a few ideas that would hopefully make that easier some day....

twiisted71

Adventurer
The percentage of projects that get finished by the person that start them is pretty low..

Yeah I figure about the same number who'll admit that paying through the nose for a stripped down work truck version of a JK is 'better' than grabbing the dolled up cushy version. I've had Jeeps, early Broncos, big Broncos, and trucks of every shape, size, and configuration.
Comfortable seats, sound deadening, tilt steering/cruise control, air conditioning, sound deaning, soft suspension, lower door sills, nice audio system, sound deadening, hard top/windows, good power:weight ratio, sound deadening, leak-free cabin, low road noise vs Swamper tire whine, delay wipers, quiet exhaust with heat shielding, and finally good quality sound deadening have always been my biggest gripes when I lost them swapping into a more 'hardcore' built rig. A friend of mine wanted to take his truck to a swap meet one year (to show it off no doubt). A 3/4 ton 2nd gen Dodge with a 360, straight pipes, and 38" Swampers on a 7 hr ride was beyond miserable! She may have looked like a magazine cover rig, but NOBODY wanted to ride with him after their first stent. Kinda like riding motorcycles. Its fun to hook up with some folks and go on rides and then 'That Guy' shows up one day. New Harley-eque chopper with so many geegaws its blinding in the sunlight and cool drag pipes-NOT! Suddenly everyone asks "Who's going riding?" instead of just showing up because no one wants to ride behind 'Fonzie'. Inevitably he realizes that the low rigid frame makes his kidneys hurt, the race seat is killing his prostate, his wife refuses to ride on that scrap of leather glued to the rear fender that they told him was for passengers, his left pants legs are all chewed up from the open primary, and his ears ring for days after a ride, and he shows up with a nice stockish RoadKing, or BMW or Valkyrie etc.
I had a bumper sticker 25 yrs or so back (college) that read "No matter how good she looks, someone somewhere is already tired of her ********!" Kinda how I feel about cool looking but horribly impractical/uncomfortable/inappropriate vehicles.
If its a Sunday afternoon cruise the burger joint toy, who cares, but if it is a daily driver/trip vehicle and the owner will NEVER use the absurdly increased payload/towing capacity why bother? These spec'd out rigs are designed to operate most of the time with much heavier loads (passenger, gear, ammo, bodywork, armor, etc) than a typical Jeep will see even once in its lifetime. People complain about the ride of CJs and YJs and swear the new coil sprung units are sent straight from heaven. Wonder how one of the military spec rigs would compare to a stock CJ/YJ with similar seats in each?! (yeah I know they are putting leafs in some).

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for people spending money on what they want, needs be damned. I just don't believe a lot of folks have ever lived with a HD work oriented rig that pulled double duty as their daily driver (modern diesel pickups, unless a vinyl seat, manual everything, stripper model don't count). This is a pile of money for a niche vehicle IMO, and they lose the only draw I have to a JK-- the 4 door option.

My point was how folks have gotten so excited about a vehicle that has ignited a buying frenzy since its introduction roughly 10 yrs ago are now all revved up about a seemingly worse version. Fewer doors, hard suspension, less articulation, and less enclosed room are the exact opposite of what made the JKs a hit! As someone stated above: every permutation has already been performed on a JK and its available in a proven kit via the aftermarket or through Jeep. Dropping $10K on some trick aftermarket axles and a bit more for a better suspension would result in a much more capable rig yet allow you to retain all the JK goodness (unless you just gotta have a Scrambler, um I mean Brute, J8 type body)! In which case I fully understand:bowdown:

Last edited:

twiisted71

Adventurer
Looks like it is just a regular civilian (i.e. 4 door coil spring) JKU with the military bumpers and such - not a real 2 door J8. They are calling it the "thrasher" -

http://www.jankelts.com/media/images/THRASHERJankelBrochure_711.pdf

Thrashercaro_688.jpg

thrasher-x_647.jpg

I REALLY like this. Could be because its sorta like what I've been going towards with my project. Big, heavy, comfy, easy to use and completely practical for 99% of the time. Not a crawler, not a mud basher, a great DD that can still handle some fun offroad and be driven to/from with total confidence. I especially like the turn signals out on the fenders. Been trying to figure out a way to build full coverage fenders for my full-width axles without it looking like wings sticking out!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
My point was how folks have gotten so excited about a vehicle that has ignited a buying frenzy since its introduction roughly 10 yrs ago are now all revved up about a seemingly worse version. Fewer doors, hard suspension, less articulation, and less enclosed room are the exact opposite of what made the JKs a hit! As someone stated above: every permutation has already been performed on a JK and its available in a proven kit via the aftermarket or through Jeep. Dropping $10K on some trick aftermarket axles and a bit more for a better suspension would result in a much more capable rig yet allow you to retain all the JK goodness (unless you just gotta have a Scrambler, um I mean Brute, J8 type body)! In which case I fully understand:bowdown:

I tried to find the like button....

Well said.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle