Jake's XJ build.

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Your girl dresses very fashionable for an outdoors trip :D I imagine quite like when the British were in India.
I feel your pain!

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

88Xj

Banned
@88Xj, there aren't too many rocks, a few Ice puddles that were fun to drive over/through. but nothing needing a spotter.
The portions of the trails that close in the winter may be a whole different story though...
Itd be a cool drive if you're interested!

A whole group of jeeps just did that exact trail. they have pics by that same mine lol..Yes i'm up for it when I get my crossmember done brother:bike_rider:
I'm itching to get this thing in the dirt. I can wait man...

Jakeleverett

Adventurer
@bobDog, yes she does and it can be annoying sometimes but I prefer that to seeing her in a "wife beater" or some form of sweatshirt/sweatpants... yuck (no offense to those of you who enjoy those things on women haha.) I am lucky that the closest thing she gets to either of those things are yoga pants or juicy sweatsuits (don't ask me how I know what either of those things are...)

@88Xj, Its an extremely cool, relaxing yet exciting drive through the upper forest area, plenty of easy to mild "obstacles" yet you can sit back and relax without needing a spotter at all. Hurry and get it moving!

bobDog

Expedition Leader
@bobDog, yes she does and it can be annoying sometimes but I prefer that to seeing her in a "wife beater" or some form of sweatshirt/sweatpants... yuck (no offense to those of you who enjoy those things on women haha.) I am lucky that the closest thing she gets to either of those things are yoga pants or juicy sweatsuits (don't ask me how I know what either of those things are...)

@88Xj, Its an extremely cool, relaxing yet exciting drive through the upper forest area, plenty of easy to mild "obstacles" yet you can sit back and relax without needing a spotter at all. Hurry and get it moving!

Yes I see your point. :D

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

88Xj

Banned
So I finally got down to starting to install my CB and antenna! Story and pictures to follow...

Hey brother I'm hoping to have my rig up by the end of the year. Maybe you wanna make a trip up to Big bear & possibly Cleghorn in January? Things started to come together for my rig the last few days..finally got off my *** and worked on it lol.

Jakeleverett

Adventurer
A while back I bought an overhead console thinking it would be cool to keep my sunglasses and iphone up there and out of my center console or cupholders, but soon realized that the sunglass holders in it weren't exactly designed for modern styles of sunglasses. I have a few pairs of Oakleys and not a single one of them fit up there so the console has been sitting under my bed for about a year... I decided to put it to use and install my CB in it it, it will be up and out of my way and won't look as goofy as mounting on the side of the center console or under the dash. I know those are the most popular places to mount CB radios so no offense intended to those of you who have them there, but I personally think it doesn't look right and it takes up too much of the already limited "living space" of the tiny SUV. Besides I have some other plans for that area... more on that when I start installing my stereo and the other electronics stuff.

Here is the actual console with the CB in it already:

IMG_3028.jpg

IMG_3026.jpg

Unfortuntely cutting into my PERFECT headliner made it not-so-perfect anymore! I just realized that it is starting to sag!
The fabric on the console is loose and is a little dirty so I may just peel it off, clean it up, and spray it with a tan that matches the rest of the interior.
I am thinking about either pulling the headliner straight again and somehow gluing or tacking it back in place, otherwise I may buy some cool fabric or something and remount the whole thing. It's not a huge priority now though.

Here is the antenna mount:

IMG_3025.jpg

IMG_3024.jpg

IMG_3023.jpg

IMG_3022.jpg

The mount is made out of a scrap piece of angle iron that I cut part of the "L" off of, then rounded the remainder, and drilled a few holes.

88Xj

Banned
A while back I bought an overhead console thinking it would be cool to keep my sunglasses and iphone up there and out of my center console or cupholders, but soon realized that the sunglass holders in it weren't exactly designed for modern styles of sunglasses. I have a few pairs of Oakleys and not a single one of them fit up there so the console has been sitting under my bed for about a year... I decided to put it to use and install my CB in it it, it will be up and out of my way and won't look as goofy as mounting on the side of the center console or under the dash. I know those are the most popular places to mount CB radios so no offense intended to those of you who have them there, but I personally think it doesn't look right and it takes up too much of the already limited "living space" of the tiny SUV. Besides I have some other plans for that area... more on that when I start installing my stereo and the other electronics stuff.

Here is the actual console with the CB in it already:

IMG_3028.jpg

IMG_3026.jpg

Unfortuntely cutting into my PERFECT headliner made it not-so-perfect anymore! I just realized that it is starting to sag!
The fabric on the console is loose and is a little dirty so I may just peel it off, clean it up, and spray it with a tan that matches the rest of the interior.
I am thinking about either pulling the headliner straight again and somehow gluing or tacking it back in place, otherwise I may buy some cool fabric or something and remount the whole thing. It's not a huge priority now though.

Here is the antenna mount:

IMG_3025.jpg

IMG_3024.jpg

IMG_3023.jpg

IMG_3022.jpg

The mount is made out of a scrap piece of angle iron that I cut part of the "L" off of, then rounded the remainder, and drilled a few holes.

Wow I have a OHC but never put it in..my cobra 29ltd won't fit up there like that..but whats a good small model that will? I would love to gain some leg room back! Nice retro fit!

Jakeleverett

Adventurer
@88Xj, I would definitely take full advantage of any reason to plan a trip to big bear so let us plan something for January for sure!
Im glad to hear you've got some stuff going!
What kind of stuff are you working on right now in the Jeep?
That's all it takes, just gotta get off your butt and get moving on it, I've been especially lazy and am finally getting tired of reading around on the forums about all the cool stuff other people are doing and being mocked by a pretty pile of stuff that needs to get installed on my Jeep. I hopefully will be gaining some momentum as it sounds like you are as well!

My radio is a small uniden unit (smallest and cheapest that I could find) which will be used primarily for my PA speaker and for communicating with other people in the group. For emergencies and rescue I will be using a SPOT connect which should do the trick pretty well.

I wish that I had spent a little extra and got one with the weather channels but I can just get a cheap little radio for if a natural disaster comes about.

My female actually found this cool little emergency radio on Amazon that has all the normal functions of an emergency radio but it can also charge an iphone as well as run itself off of solar power, battery power, AND man power! It has one of those little wind up arms which is fairly sturdy for its price of about $35!

I was in fact pretty impressed with myself on the retro fitting of the radio! I basically pried the two sunglass flaps out of their homes in the console and then trimmed out the center and top with a little air-powered "detailing saw" as my dad called it.
It was a pretty cool little saw, very tiny but VERY powerful and VERY useful.

Coyote_6

Jake - I recently redid my headliner using fabric from jo-annes fabrics/crafts in Escondido. They stock tan, black and grey. Just get good glue (I used 3M headliner spray glue from O'Reilly's, 3 cans) Not very hard compared to some of the things you have done. I have a 98 zj.

88Xj

Banned
@88Xj, I would definitely take full advantage of any reason to plan a trip to big bear so let us plan something for January for sure!
Im glad to hear you've got some stuff going!
What kind of stuff are you working on right now in the Jeep?
That's all it takes, just gotta get off your butt and get moving on it, I've been especially lazy and am finally getting tired of reading around on the forums about all the cool stuff other people are doing and being mocked by a pretty pile of stuff that needs to get installed on my Jeep. I hopefully will be gaining some momentum as it sounds like you are as well!

My radio is a small uniden unit (smallest and cheapest that I could find) which will be used primarily for my PA speaker and for communicating with other people in the group. For emergencies and rescue I will be using a SPOT connect which should do the trick pretty well.

I wish that I had spent a little extra and got one with the weather channels but I can just get a cheap little radio for if a natural disaster comes about.

My female actually found this cool little emergency radio on Amazon that has all the normal functions of an emergency radio but it can also charge an iphone as well as run itself off of solar power, battery power, AND man power! It has one of those little wind up arms which is fairly sturdy for its price of about $35!

I was in fact pretty impressed with myself on the retro fitting of the radio! I basically pried the two sunglass flaps out of their homes in the console and then trimmed out the center and top with a little air-powered "detailing saw" as my dad called it.
It was a pretty cool little saw, very tiny but VERY powerful and VERY useful.

I'm gonna be on the look out for a small Cb setup with weather channels myself..Let me know if you already have found one? As long as it fits up there I'll be happy. I didn't install my console because both my flaps won't open:( But now I see you did a Cb there anyway so I'm gonna follow. I know it'll make my girl happy cause its currently right in the way of her knee & its fairly large honestly..

Anyone want a Cobra ltd 29 night watch with weather channels?

smokestack

smokestack
Nice XJ, I have had 2 of them and on my third now, good lift choice with the 3 inch lift. If you love camping and off road trails stick to a lower lift like a 3 inch, to tall makes you tippy. I have 4 inch in the front and 5 in the back, it helps when carring all my camping gear. Yes the XJ's with the monster tires and hugh lifts look cool but they suck for camping, 3 to 4 is the key. unless your rock crawling you don't need it. I have 32's on mine and it looks like a beast

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78