James Baroud Horizon Vision Roof Top Tent

osidepunker

Adventurer
Maybe I'm missing something, but if you keep the doors closed, the interior won't get wet... and when you get out of the tent its only a matter of seconds that it is open.

Have you ever camped in a good rain? A few seconds is all it will take to soak the area around the entry inside the tent. But I agree, its not really that big of a deal.

I know from the first post date that this tent as been out for a while, and it look nice. Bas on my 4-5 year experience with a rtt, I would not go with a tent that does not have the possibility to open the window when it is raining. Unless i would travel in a dry contry.

I would also not call "...Vision..." Anything that need the windows to be close in the rain. I like the traditional type of rtt because of the all around type or awning so I can keep the windows open even in heavy rain. I even just modified my rain fly so it would be a little longer so water would not drip in my back when going up and down the later, and even putting my shoes at the base of the later. And do get me wrong, this is also the main reason I do not like the hard shell type.

So the perfect tent is still not out there. But unless it get a large rain fly, it is not for me, no mater the quality of the component.

Hopefully, such a product will become available in the futur.

Actually, I do not intend to camp in the rain. Rain sucks! I understand that one day it will rain on me when camping, but hopefully it will be a rare event for me. The Tepui does great in the rain and you can leave all the windows open without getting wet inside. But it sucks to pack up and it weighs >200 lbs! It is also stifling in hot weather. Dropping half the weight and being easier to deploy and pack up is worth the shortcomings for me. Besides, the only time I am in the tent is when I am sleeping. If I ever encounter a heavy rain, I can hang out in my ARB awning room or under just the awning.

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
I know from the first post date that this tent as been out for a while, and it look nice. Bas on my 4-5 year experience with a rtt, I would not go with a tent that does not have the possibility to open the window when it is raining. Unless i would travel in a dry contry.

I would also not call "...Vision..." Anything that need the windows to be close in the rain. I like the traditional type of rtt because of the all around type or awning so I can keep the windows open even in heavy rain. I even just modified my rain fly so it would be a little longer so water would not drip in my back when going up and down the later, and even putting my shoes at the base of the later. And do get me wrong, this is also the main reason I do not like the hard shell type.

So the perfect tent is still not out there. But unless it get a large rain fly, it is not for me, no mater the quality of the component.

Hopefully, such a product will become available in the futur.

The front and rear windows are a clear plastic that allows them to remain open during rain allowing you to see the outside world. :) Also when the weather is fair you have 6 windows to maximize airflow and outside vision.

The lack of rain fly is often the hit or miss for people, in rain you must be quick getting in or out. But during windy nights the lack of a fly is silent and will not blow off leaving you in a mess.

Hopefully this helps.

osidepunker

Adventurer
Just unboxed my tent. Wow! This thing is titties! The fit and finish is amazing! Much better quality than the Tepui. I know it's not a fair comparison, but you really do get more for your money with this tent. We'll see how it actually performs next month in death valley

rino

Just unboxed my tent. Wow! This thing is titties! The fit and finish is amazing! Much better quality than the Tepui. I know it's not a fair comparison, but you really do get more for your money with this tent. We'll see how it actually performs next month in death valley

Glad you dig it! haha, be sure to take some good shots.

osidepunker

Adventurer
So I just did a 2 week, 2500 mile trip. 6 nights were in the tent through Mojave and Death Valley. Night temps were ranging between 28 and 40 degrees. On the last night we got a light rain at Eureka Dunes. A couple nights were super windy, like 50-60 mph gusts. First the bad:

The zippers are a fail. The teeth keep separating behind the zipper. I have to run the zipper back and forth several times being super slow until they stay together. Once together they are fine. This happens on all the zippers that I used. I will be contacting JB and I am sure they will take care of me.

I am not sure if the base is strong enough. When I received the tent, it was a little bowed in places. Like maybe someone really heavy or multiple people were inside it. It was also slightly bent near one of the hinges, like maybe someone tried to close it with too much gear in it. Since I bought a scratch and dent, I decided to just accept it and see what happens on the trip. It did not bend further and it felt pretty solid when I used it. However, I am using it solo (I weigh 220lbs). I am not sure how it will do with 2 adults.

The aluminum leg supports are not the easiest. Its very difficult to press the pin and get the legs to move to the next hole. You have to wear gloves or you will pinch your fingers. Sometimes the pins get crooked and you have to slide the whole leg out to re-position it. There's nothing to fix, its just the way its designed.

The closing straps need to be longer. Its hard to get them started because you don't have much to work with. Since they are riveted on, I am not sure how I will be replacing them.

You cant fit much in the tent and still close it. I had two REI 20 degree bags, folded in half, and placed side by side. I could barely close it. I couldn't fit my pillow, had to leave that in the cab.

You cant mount the tent flush to a surface or you will not be able to loop the bungee for the cover around the pegs. I had to add 2" spacer to lift the tent a little so I could get to the pegs.

Overall I am happy. I still have not sold my Tepui as I want to do a few more trips before I decide if I am going to keep the JB. Here are the things I like about the JB:

I REALLY like the cover! The one thing I hated most about RTTs is the damn zipper for the cover. Its not any quicker, and you have to make sure its centered before you start looping the bungee, but after a few times doing it, I really started to like it.

The quality of the materials is really good. The fabric is tough and easy to clean. During the heavy winds, the tent was very quiet. No flapping. I could hear everybody else's tents flapping in the wind lol I started parking farther away so I wouldn't have to listen to them.

They added a thick cover to the top on the inside of the tent to keep light from shining through. This was a nice touch and kept me from waking up in a bright tent.

The tent is very light for the size. On my truck I really noticed the loss of over 100 lbs as compared to my old tent.

The interior size is not that much smaller than a traditional 6'x8' RTT; it's plenty big.

The mattress is comfortable and the tent does not get condensation inside, even when the temps were below freezing. Although, we were in the desert so I suppose the air was very dry. I guess I'll need a few more trips before I can say one way or the other about the condensation.

It was cold, so I didnt get a chance to open all the windows, but I am super excited to do some warm weather camping! I like the idea of windows all around and being able to see the sky. On a traditional RTT with awnings you can't look up.

If anybody has any questions for me feel free to ask. I'll keep you guys posted on the what JB says about the zippers. It the one issue that could potentially cause me to get rid of the tent. I'm also curious about how I can replace the closing straps. I suppose I'll have to drill out the rivets, but I will see what JB says first.

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
Thanks for the review....
Im looking at getting a Horizon Vison, and reading on the Zippers issue is disappointing to say the least.....

rino

Shoot me an email (rino@ok4wd.com) and we will get you taken care of. Was the tent purchased from a dealer or second hand?

osidepunker

Adventurer
Shoot me an email (rino@ok4wd.com) and we will get you taken care of. Was the tent purchased from a dealer or second hand?

Thanks! I purchased from, and I am working with Tom at Adventure Ready. We have contacted Craig at JB. Waiting on a response.

I inspected my friends JB hardshell thoroughly before I decided to buy. Its a quality tent. I did some testing yesterday. I didn't have time to get to the windows, but all four entry flaps (two on each side) do the same thing on all parts of the zipper. Its clearly a defect with the zippers and not just a fluke on one zipper or one area of teeth.

I am fully confident that JB will take care of me. If I can get the zipper issue settled, then the tent will be a keeper.

rino

Thanks! I purchased from, and I am working with Tom at Adventure Ready. We have contacted Craig at JB. Waiting on a response.

I inspected my friends JB hardshell thoroughly before I decided to buy. Its a quality tent. I did some testing yesterday. I didn't have time to get to the windows, but all four entry flaps (two on each side) do the same thing on all parts of the zipper. Its clearly a defect with the zippers and not just a fluke on one zipper or one area of teeth.

I am fully confident that JB will take care of me. If I can get the zipper issue settled, then the tent will be a keeper.

You are in good hands, but if there is anything I can help with don't hesitate to ask. :)

towee

Oside glad you got to get out and use the tent nice write up. Funny how everyone has their quirks with their tents I have had the zipper issue with one of the windows but it's minor and not the doors that would be a pia. No issues with the legs here and my base is super solid we weigh the same wonder if it might be the way it is mounted? Mine is mounted to an all pro rack but I just ordered some bed bars want to get the tent lower and bars will make attaching the cover much easier hope I don't lose any stability. I hate two things about my tent the doors and the straps that dangle down you use to roll up the doors. Funny I always thought the top cover was more of a condensation catch I usually beat the sun up anyways. Completely agree love the cover. Congrats on your purchase.

osidepunker

Adventurer
Yeah every RTT has its quirks. No tent is perfect, otherwise you could just push a button climb the ladder and receive a BJ. Overall, I am happy with this tent. I like it much better than the traditional RTT.

As for the how I have it mounted, I have a custom rack made. Its 2x2" square tube mounted directly to the truck frame. I had to add some spacers between the tent and the rack in order to have space to reach under and access the pegs for the cover. The tent base is just aluminum plate. Its not a sandwich like other tents. This helps keep it light, but I feel like it would not be strong enough for 3 people. I might feel comfortable with my gf as she only weighs 115lbs, but I have not tried it (she doesn't like to camp lol). That said, I am not going to speak for JB. Contact them if you are concerned about the amount of human you want to put in your tent.

UPDATE: JB had me pinch the zipper heads with some pliers. I didn't really feel much, but I did it to every zipper. They all seem to work now. I spent a half hour last week zipping and none of them separated. I also did a camp trip to Anza Borrego last weekend and did not have any issues.

So now I am happy with the tent. I will use the sht out of it this year as I usually do a trip about once a month or more. I'll keep you guys posted if I have any issues. But I dropped 100 lbs with this tent and the cover is MUCH less azz pain than a zipper cover. Those two factors alone are enough for me to love this tent.

rino

Yeah every RTT has its quirks. No tent is perfect, otherwise you could just push a button climb the ladder and receive a BJ. Overall, I am happy with this tent. I like it much better than the traditional RTT.

As for the how I have it mounted, I have a custom rack made. Its 2x2" square tube mounted directly to the truck frame. I had to add some spacers between the tent and the rack in order to have space to reach under and access the pegs for the cover. The tent base is just aluminum plate. Its not a sandwich like other tents. This helps keep it light, but I feel like it would not be strong enough for 3 people. I might feel comfortable with my gf as she only weighs 115lbs, but I have not tried it (she doesn't like to camp lol). That said, I am not going to speak for JB. Contact them if you are concerned about the amount of human you want to put in your tent.

UPDATE: JB had me pinch the zipper heads with some pliers. I didn't really feel much, but I did it to every zipper. They all seem to work now. I spent a half hour last week zipping and none of them separated. I also did a camp trip to Anza Borrego last weekend and did not have any issues.

So now I am happy with the tent. I will use the sht out of it this year as I usually do a trip about once a month or more. I'll keep you guys posted if I have any issues. But I dropped 100 lbs with this tent and the cover is MUCH less azz pain than a zipper cover. Those two factors alone are enough for me to love this tent.

Glad to hear it is back in action for you and you are back camping. :) We hope not to tell people "how much human" to put into a tent, but from experience I will say two 200-225lb men in that tent has worked without concern. If you do not mind, pm myself some pictures of your rack setup and I can look into possibilities to optimize the performance of the RTT.

-Rin

MNmtb

I saw you also had posted for your Tepui XL tent. I'm assuming this is the tent you replaced it with. Just wondering why you went from an XL size to this tent. I too was looking at both tents, but in the end, decided the extra room for two people plus dogs occasionally might be better. How does this tent feel with two adults in it vs the Tepui? I know "smaller" but looking for some detail about comfort. Thanks much

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998