Jaynen's Black Gen 3

Jaynen

Adventurer
Figured I would start a thread to post pics even if it's not a crazy build or anything yet.

Picked it up maybe a month ago (Nov 13) just under 90,000 miles recent timing belt absolutely immaculate. 2003 Mitsu Montero 20th Anniv Limited Black with Black interior. Thing feels tight as a drum no rattles or squeaks and the interior is really nice. Perfect for the family comfortable yet capable rig I was hoping for.

Here she is as I brought her home
20131106_074214_zps23d57272.jpg

She had Michelin All seasons on and came with a second set of wheels with studded snows. The NorthWest Overland group was going to do some light exploring in Pierce County WA the weekend after I got her so loaded up the family and decided to give it a go stock.

IMG_1266_zps682b3d0d.jpg

We had a great time and the rig did great even on some fairly gnarly rocks I would never have attempted before. We got a fair bit of trail pinstriping on my brand new rig thanks to the road tightening up until small trees were hitting the side like a car wash

Jaynen

Adventurer
IMG_2939_zps0c4388a8.jpg

Was some pretty scenery and a fun trip but I knew I could not leave her alone.

So on went the 235/85/16 Wrangler Duratracs

20131116_104834_HDR_zpsaac5c51d.jpg

I ordered an OME lift at the same time but it took a bit to get it installed. We actually went to do it last weekend over at a nice volunteer from the Northwest Overland forum's garage. Took us a long time because we originally did not want to remove the upper A-arm in the front and did not know about the bolt to let the spring drop out in the rear.

Took it down to Corvallis for Thanksgiving to go off road with my cousin who just got a Jeep Wrangler.

Here is how she sits with the 235/85/16s and the OME lift

20131130_142549_zpsff6b2b1f.jpg

Jaynen

Adventurer
My cousins Jeep got stuck in neutral with the transfer case which meant some adventures to get his rig out of where we were outside of Alsea Oregon. Ended up bringing a tow dolly up on the road, then using a recovery strap to tow his injured rig back down to the tow dolley. The montero performed awesome even towing his jeep up over Mary's Peak which is pretty steep and twisty.

fb1_zps34118409.jpg

fb2_zps9a9ae71b.jpg

fb3_zps0b0e4423.jpg

Right where the Jeep got stuck after I went through the mud that was ahead

fb4_zps24de9377.jpg

Last edited:

Jaynen

Adventurer
I think up next is some recovery gear to keep in the rig, some camping equipment and maybe some real sliders. I have not bashed the stock running boards hard yet but I imagine they won't hold up.

I think I would like to get some sort of receiver mount on the front to put a winch on but I really don't want something that extends off the nose too much and dont want to do a full big heavy bumper.

Also I would not mind some rotopax mounts on the rear has anyone seen a decent setup on these monteros?

Mudrunner

Adventurer
I think up next is some recovery gear to keep in the rig, some camping equipment and maybe some real sliders. I have not bashed the stock running boards hard yet but I imagine they won't hold up.

I think I would like to get some sort of receiver mount on the front to put a winch on but I really don't want something that extends off the nose too much and dont want to do a full big heavy bumper.

Also I would not mind some rotopax mounts on the rear has anyone seen a decent setup on these monteros?

There are a few links in the build sticky for the GEN 3 rigs, if you haven't already looked at those.

Jaynen

Adventurer
I did look at those. Shame there is not more reference. Usually end up digging around the pajero boards in australia

Last edited:

Jaynen

Adventurer
Checked my mileage today on the trip back after thanksgiving 22 almost 23 on the highway doing 65/70

On the way down I got like 15.5 so airing up the duratracs from the factory recommended 30 something to 45 really made a big difference

Jaynen

Adventurer
Living up in Lynnwood now, with a lot more trails and places to go nearby. But mom's side of family is down that way. Going to head up to leavenworth for snow soon

Fergie

Expedition Leader
The 235/85s look just right on the Gen 3s. I put some BFG ATs in that size on my 2001 and love it.

Jaynen

Adventurer
My only complaint sorta is from the rear when the wheels are tucked in a bit. Practically I like the narrower width and less mud up the side of the vehicle but aesthetically if it was closer to the fender lip it would look better

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan