JDM montero/Pajero

tcb2

I'm thinking of getting a JDM montero diesel and it has to be at least 25 years old to import. What if any are the differences in the 4wd systems in them, what models have the rear locker and of course what other important things should I know. Oh and what does the difference between the exceed and super exceed. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

plh

Explorer
Sounds fun, are you sufficiently mechanically inclined? 4M40 diesels (typical in the 25 year old stuff, 5 to 10 years even older ones might have a 4D56 or 4M40) were not in any USA vehicles, so there will be very limited amount of mechanics willing to work on them. Also any engine parts will need to be imported. Wish you much success. Super Exceed would be the most likely to have a locker - it is the most loaded up on options version.

tcb2

Thank you! Yep I'm mechanically inclined. Currently have a 84 SWB Montero, I rebuild the 2.6 in it and did a bunch of other stuff. It's been fun but I really want a JDM one, so if I get serious I'll put this one up for sale to fund the next project.

Anything else that I should know that I did not ask in my original post?

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
You can probably find information in the Australian Pajero forums. They will have lots of experience with the diesel engines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan