Jeep Africa, Will it Come to be?

Septu

Explorer
It's a fail in the way it completely blocks the rear view and once all the way down, rests as high as the top of the spare which is ridiculous. I have tried different ways to fold it down, but it still blocked the rear view.
I've seen guys fold it down so bad, that it was acting as a parachute back there. So it is a serious fail in my book.

Sorry bud, but you're doing it wrong. I frequently run a rear cover that's raised 5+ inches that the ST will sit on when down, and I still never have had an issue getting my soft top to lay down flat enough to see out the rear. And when I'm not running that, it's hardly noticeable back there.

I still have issues with the ST (such as it leaking), but for what it does, it's not bad.

gophere

Adventurer
35804165dc11600d8e0a693d82fc9f18.jpg

For tjs and ljs at the moment. It's a forum members design he sold to them.
I am sure jks will come along shortly.

Company is gr8tops.

chadwicksavage

Adventurer
Do you think Jscherb could fabricate the africa concept after someone stretched their tub to be the length of the africa concept? If anyone could make one of these things, I do believe it would be him.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Do you think Jscherb could fabricate the africa concept after someone stretched their tub to be the length of the africa concept? If anyone could make one of these things, I do believe it would be him.
Yes he could :). A stretched version of the Safari Cab could be made in the existing Safari Cab molds. The roof mold is designed so the Alpine windows are optional, so if you wanted to be closer to the Africa and not have Alpine windows in the roof that would be easy.

AfricaSafari2_zpsglmin5in.jpg

AfricaSafari5_zps7ono5zh0.jpg

AfricaSafari4_zpsik7kptyl.jpg

AfricaSafari3_zpsy3m9qqah.jpg

The Safari Cab barn door is the width of the stock tailgate and the Africa barn door is wider, but that's a small compromise.

AfricaSafari6_zpst1hkq0dt.jpg

AfricaSafari1_zpstchxpw4a.jpg

TripLeader

Explorer
I could care less if "everyone" would have it. Would that bother me? No not in the least. Because I would have it for my own personal reasons - which would have nothing to do with anyone else. I've built my jeep the way I like it, and would do the same if I had one of those.

Plus, if everyone has it--more aftermarket product support.

frank6772

I was once dreaming of the TJ Dakar concept that never saw production.

I might have to argue that one. Just because a concept is based on a certain model, doesn't necessarily mean that the real thing will be based on it. The Dakar concept looks very similar to the KJ Liberty.

I believe IMHO that the Africa concept may be a prelude to the Wagoneer/ Grand Wagoneer. They will be Jeep's second attempt at a 3 row SUV. Whether it will be a BOF or a unibody, is still anyone's guess. But the length alone would suggest that Jeep engineers are looking into a longer vehicle.

I would also add that if Jeep is to make ANY impact on global sales, AND their reputation/legacy, they need to not just focus on the cute crossovers and the luxury market, but not leave the core group of customers behind and broaden the "utility" side of the spectrum. The Wrangler staying true to its roots and a pickup is a start. But that pickup needs to compete with the global market in payload and towing capacity. The same goes for the Wrangler Unlimited. TO JEEP: The engineering has been done! The J8 is proof that it can be done. Give us the true utility, work a day JEEP that the brand is known for. There are enough 60K crossover utes out there.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I believe IMHO that the Africa concept may be a prelude to the Wagoneer/ Grand Wagoneer. They will be Jeep's second attempt at a 3 row SUV. Whether it will be a BOF or a unibody, is still anyone's guess. But the length alone would suggest that Jeep engineers are looking into a longer vehicle.

It was announced the Grand Wagoneer will be BOF.

I have crap internet right now, can't google a link, but I'm sure it would be easy to find

-Dan

haven

Expedition Leader
http://www.autonews.com/article/201...e-will-make-jeep-grand-wagoneer-body-on-frame

Jeep announced in January that the new Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer would move to body on frame construction. It will likely be derived from the new Ram 1500 frame. The 1500 redesign is due in 2018, as a 2019 model.

Natural competitors for the Wagoneer would be Chevrolet Tahoe/Suburban and Ford Expedition, both body-on-frame designs. The 2018 Expedition will have an aluminum body like the F150.

frank6772

Well, that just makes it official. It won't be a 140K suv against Land Rover, but a 100K truck against the Cadillac Escalade. I would also expect Ram to get its Ramcharger back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger