Jeep Battery Upgrade

Power Wagon Family

I Hate Off Camber
I want to upgrade from my stock 2012 JKUR battery. I recently purchased a ARB 50 Fridge and plan on running it in the jeep as much as I can. I know Optima Batteries have gotten some bad reviews lately and I heard Die Hard platinum’s are the same as the Odyssey, is this correct? I want the battery to power my fridge as long as possible in the boonies. Any thoughts or recommendations are appreciated.

Vince1

Adventurer
Have you considered a dual battery setup? If you're out in the boonies, you want to preserve your starter battery and isolate it from accessories. Solar trickle recharging is useful too, and necessary for extending your days out. Having owned both, Die Hard platunums beat out Optimas in my book.

Toolman

Explorer
I have optima in my TJ, and Die Hard in my Van. I've used Optimas for about 20 years and never had any problems with them. My current Optimas have been fine for 3 years, I don't drive it everyday and I start it every other week and let it run for a bit.

I have 3 Die Hards in my Van. 2 for the accessories and 1 for the engine. I'm very happy with them. I killed them a couple times on accident by leaving something on, I charged them with a designated AGM battery charger and they came back to life.

Both are very good batteries. I chose the optimas over the die hard for the TJ for mounting space and options.

I would recommend the dual battery set up for a fridge.

Power Wagon Family

I Hate Off Camber
Looking at the group 31 battery it is 3" longer then the stock battery will it fit in the stock location? Will the battery hold down still work?

I have optima in my TJ, and Die Hard in my Van. I've used Optimas for about 20 years and never had any problems with them. My current Optimas have been fine for 3 years, I don't drive it everyday and I start it every other week and let it run for a bit.

I have 3 Die Hards in my Van. 2 for the accessories and 1 for the engine. I'm very happy with them. I killed them a couple times on accident by leaving something on, I charged them with a designated AGM battery charger and they came back to life.

Both are very good batteries. I chose the optimas over the die hard for the TJ for mounting space and options.

I would recommend the dual battery set up for a fridge.

I know some have had issues with Optima quality, but I haven't had problems with Red top or Yellow top in 13 years. One of the Reds even lasted 8 years. I don't have anything against the other brands, just haven't had a need to switch.

Power Wagon Family

I Hate Off Camber
I looked at the project JK write up and saw he went with the group 35 because the stock battery hold down would not keep a group 31 in place because the group 31 does not have the tab on the bottom of the battery to keep it held down. Some one also commented on that write up that the terminals on the group 35 are a little small. Just looking for some people who have done this and provide some info before i spend the cash.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Heh Heh, yeah, I've gotta OPTIMA in my trailer--no problemo and

There's nothing wrong with the Lead-acid batteries either, my stock jeep issue battery is still in top shape after 4+ years/w distilled/Battery maintainer maintenance-

Thats with lights/winch/OBA and routine use-

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Power Wagon Family

I Hate Off Camber
Thanks TexasTJ

Thats good to hear that the group 35 is good to go, i plan on picking one up on tuesday and dropping it in.

I have had Optima batteries in the past and dont think they are bad i have just heard negitive feed back on the more recent batteries made in mexico after the company was sold.

dugedug

Group 35

DSCN3203_zps295617c9.jpg

DSCN3204_zps3b3344eb.jpg

DSCN3207_zps82d52b1c.jpg

DSCN3208_zps359004ce.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman