Jeep Cherokee 1999 - How to remove the exterior door plastic runner

MBPXJ

Observer
Not really sure what to call that ugly, discolored, pealing plastic pieces that run along the bottom of the Cherokee doors? But today I decided to remove them. I started with the usual Goo Gone, waaaay to much elbow work. Then I stepped it up to the power washer; a little better but still took waaaay to long and would not get that last little bit of sticky residue.

Then came in the heat gun :wings:. This was the ticket. First after pulling off the plastic by hand, spray the residual dirt that is bound to be hidden behind the plastic runner. Using the heat gun about 1 inch to 1/2 inch away from the sticky foam/guu let the foam bubble and turn a little brown and continue down the door panel for about 5 inches. Then with wet rag push against the door panel guu repeatedly in the same direction letting the guu roll upon itself. I just kept going with it until it stopped rolling then went back to address the smaller guu left over.

It does take some elbow grease but those ugly plastic runners have been bugging me for a couple years and was well worth the effort.

Here are some photos.

The Heat Gun
JeepPlasticHeatGun.jpg

Plastic Runner Removed
jeepplastic1.jpg

Guu Balling Up
GuuResidual.jpg

Progress
JeepPlastic2.jpg

Finished Product
FinishProduct.jpg

Hope this helps!

alexfm

Explorer
I didnt think to use a heat gun. :coffee: I just left mine on, and sprayed over them with bedliner. :D

travelinthrough

the best thing to use on that is a stripe remover wheel. it's like a big eraser that you chuck into a drill. just be cautious not to stay in one place too long and burn the paint. you can pick one up at any place that sells body supplies and most parts stores.

Frank

Explorer
the best thing to use on that is a stripe remover wheel. it's like a big eraser that you chuck into a drill. just be cautious not to stay in one place too long and burn the paint. you can pick one up at any place that sells body supplies and most parts stores.

Yeah I wish I would have went this route. When I worked at a body shot I used one of these all of the time. They worked great. They run about $30 at a auto part store.

I did mine today. I used a heat gun and it wasn't exact a walk in the park job. It took about 3 hours to do. I ended up going and getting some decal remover to finish the job.

2 things working against me....it was windy and about 40deg out. On a warmer day, I think it would have peeled right off with the heat gun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MBPXJ

Observer
It definitely still takes some elbow grease and an our or two. When I did mine it was sunny and 70 degrees out and I was working in the garage. I would also heat the 5 inch section up really really hot. When I would be wiping with the wet rag it would have steam coming up. Only once did I hold the heat gun too long and the door panel flexed a little bit, but it was not permanent.

rdonahe

Observer
Nice! I removed mine several months ago and it took a lot of time and Goo Gone/acetone to get rid of the gunk.

Frank

Explorer
Hopefully this is a sign on you not selling your Jeep after all? :)

My vehicles are always for sale. Since 2005, I've probably had over 20 vehicles. The only vehicle I wouldn't sell is my KLR. I haven't found anything greater to replace it that I can afford. Id love a KTM990 Adventure but outfitting it the way I want would be another few grand on top of a ~$10k bike and I cant swing that...

drgnhrt1979

Adventurer
I did this to mine a year or so ago. I like the way it looks without that trim stuff. I used goo gone myself and a razor blade. didnt take all that long but still have a lil cleaning up to do. Also decided to paint the area below where the trim sat, black. it looks a ton better IMO. as soon as I can I will post some pics up of before and after as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78