Jeep Cherokee CB Radio placement

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
I made a center overhead console and mounted it up top. I have a K40 antenna mounted on my front bumper. The whole combo works great for me.

DSCN0870.jpg

DSCN0876.jpg

~James

ExpoMike

Kinda on topic....I have mine mounted on the usual stainless steel mount crewed to the front fender (moving it to the brush guard).......BUT does anyone know how to set swr (srw?) w/o a meter? Is that possible???

No, you have to use a SWR meter to set the SWR.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
One half of a CB electrically speaking is the ground or whats called the ground plane. The center of the roof is the best ground plane if best CB performance is the goal. I use a spring and a cheap truck stop K-40 whip antenna so if and when I break it then I just screw a new one on. For me great communication is important because I run in large groups and we get spread out in the mountains so performance and inside location is also important. My rig is only used on days that I trail ride so the factory radio location was the ideal spot for me. I shed a few pounds by ditching the radio and associated wiring and speakers. Those rear roof speakers are heavy and located at the highest center of gravity anyway. I've been in 3 rollovers (long story).
I buy my CB radio equipment from Sparkys. He peaks and tweaks them for free and has all the mounts and antenna stuff you will need. I run a General lee. It has a super clean receiver and puts out 25 watts on low and 55 on high. Just enough for clean communications but not so hot it's noticed other than people say I sound great.http://www.sparkyscbshack.com/Saleitems.html

Attachments

• CB.jpg
    CB.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 68
  • cb Ant.jpg
    cb Ant.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 60

bobDog

Expedition Leader
That is a K40? Hmmm boy am I mixed up. I thought a K40 had a stainless whip w/ a big black cylinder at the base......also thought that the roof was only if you wanted as close to 360o as you could get? Oh and what is the heavy speaker thing about? I just have one aux in front.

Bodo

Adventurer
I made a center overhead console and mounted it up top. I have a K40 antenna mounted on my front bumper. The whole combo works great for me.

~James

That's really neat. Did you ever write that up? What was involved in making it?

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
That is a K40? Hmmm boy am I mixed up. I thought a K40 had a stainless whip w/ a big black cylinder at the base......also thought that the roof was only if you wanted as close to 360o as you could get? Oh and what is the heavy speaker thing about? I just have one aux in front.

K40 makes a stainless whip as you described and also a super nice magnetic base for it. I had one and it lasted many years. Trees took a toll on it so on my XJ I went to a solid mount with a spring. K40 also make whips like a fire stick or typical truckers antenna. I like them because they seem to flex better than other fiberglass whips. The 360 degree coverage is the best for off road because trails twist and you use it while in all positions while waiting ,winching and just getting all twisted up off road compared to a freeway. The speakers I was referring to are the four factory radio speakers. I don't jam while in my rig so I ditched the factory AM/FM. One idea I was going to do was use the unused door speakers as axillary CB speakers but the CB converted General Lee sounds great in the dash. All they do is pull a jumper or something inside and it's an instant 40 channel CB but with a 10 meter radio amp in it. You still keep the 10 meter capability but thats FCC license channel and I stay off it. It's the best bang for the buck in a CB and is probably the most popular radio with truckers next to a Cobra. I did leave air space for cooling and that happened to let the sound out very well. Link to the K40 Whips:http://www.das-roadpro.com/k40/fiberglass.asp

bobDog

Expedition Leader
thanks....that clears up a few things....does the 180o action mean you don't need a spring?:sombrero:

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
I have the firestick style K40 and it works like a champ.

Sorry guys, I dont have a write up on the console. It was just something I whipped up a while back. Basically made out of 1/4" birch on the sides, thinner stuff on the bottom side, and a scrap piece of carbon fiber in front of the CB just because I had it laying around. I used cardboard to make the roof line pattern. I mounted it to the old Dome light on the back side, and the lock remote thing between the sunvisors. It was pretty straight forward though. There is plenty of room for switches and all kinds of other crap, but I have places for those already.

I used (4) 20 watt 12 volt bulbs, two pointing towards the front, and two towards the rear.

~James

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12