Jeep Cherokee (XJ), LX470 (Land Cruiser) , or Something Else?

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
If you are down on your luck and needing a place to hole up for a few months or even a year, or at least until you get your stuff sorted out, a small and light truck camper on a 2WD, long bed, full size, 3/4 ton HD or larger gas pickup would add a measure of comfort and sustainability to your life's journey. There is something to be said for a fresh water system; heater; hot water; shower; toilet; sink; stove; lights; refrigerator; a good bed; and a modicum of storage; all items to sustain life, long term, in a compact, mobil situation. This would easily get down any dirt road you choose as long as the tree and rock clearance is sufficient. Crawling into and living in the back of some cramped, gas hog full size 4WD is not my idea of living. Trust me, it would get old real fast. If you are taller than 5 feet, forget about sleeping in the back of an XJ. I'm 6 feet and have owned 3 XJ's. Never slept in the XJ. When we had an FJ-55 I had a boot made by a sail maker to snap over the rear of the down tailgate and cover the hole. This worked fine for 2 adults and 2 very small children. If you could find some old codger who wants to dump his already-built-up, older TC; both the truck and camper, it could be the best of all worlds. We bought a truck and camper 18 years ago and built it up specifically for off-road driving and still amazed at how it has held together. Coming up to Imogene Pass (over 13K feet), the last 300 yards:

Attachments

• SJXTC TC coming up Imogene pass rd..JPG
    SJXTC TC coming up Imogene pass rd..JPG
    912 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

lonelywolfe

Thank you all again. I may make a separate post but, I thought if I could camp for a while in a campground that may work as well. It's something I'll ask in another thread though. Thank you all again and take care.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater