Jeep Comanche Pop Top Camper

6a45babe7dda61aff0f8973dcb771032.jpg

d614b8b9b82e94ab90355dcd08f16a89.jpg

ab060d556a2d2b0662df6d4f689a3d6b.jpg

688928a148b9d42727cff2378fbe2805.jpg

XJlimitedx99

This is one of the most recognizable rigs I've ever seen. I've been following on IG since near the beginning and am very impressed at what this rig has done for you. Awesome awesome and very inspiring build. GLWS. I hope to continue seeing this truck under the new owners.

Do you have a build thread anywhere? I have a couple questions about the build:

Is the camper hard-mounted to the back of the cab? How did you seal that up? Any issues with flex between the two?

Did you use a junkyard 9 inch housing? I've been considering using one (I actually bought one already) but I have cold feet because of the pinion offset. Any issues with driveline vibrations with the pinion not being inline with the transfer case output? Or did you go with a centered pinion setup?

This is one of the most recognizable rigs I've ever seen. I've been following on IG since near the beginning and am very impressed at what this rig has done for you. Awesome awesome and very inspiring build. GLWS. I hope to continue seeing this truck under the new owners.

Do you have a build thread anywhere? I have a couple questions about the build:

Is the camper hard-mounted to the back of the cab? How did you seal that up? Any issues with flex between the two?

Did you use a junkyard 9 inch housing? I've been considering using one (I actually bought one already) but I have cold feet because of the pinion offset. Any issues with driveline vibrations with the pinion not being inline with the transfer case output? Or did you go with a centered pinion setup?

Hey! Sorry I didn't see your message earlier.
The camper is hard sealed to the body, there is a frame around the cutout and I used sika flex and stainless hardware to sandwich the two together. After stiffening the frame there has been zero flex issues between the two. As the cherokees were originally built as unibodys and the front of the comanche being a unibody, I wanted to mitigate as much flexing as possible. The sliders and rollbar/roof rack also bolt to the camper shell on separate planes to really lock everything in place.
My ford 9 and the d44 were both bought used from someone else that was going to put them into a jeep. I haven't had any issues with driveline vibrations

Fantastic! This is so well thought out and executed. Worth every penny.

Thanks so much! Seems like I missed the covid camper bonanza as that was the prime time to sell. I've had a hard time admitting the rig isn't the right fit for our lifestyle anymore and I haven't wanted to sell it. Just hoping it goes to someone who wants to tinker on it and give it a good life

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger