Jeep Conversion; Daily Driver to Camper

My 2015 Jeep Rubicon is my daily driver and the back seats are needed to haul the grandkids around. In this video I show how I convert it from my daily driver to my overland camping rig. Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to watch our videos.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
That is a great platform floor! I will be doing something similar. Curious to see if you evolve the layout of food/kit/fridge over time. I am still trying to figure what I want at hand and how much I want to unload to get to it when its time to cook.

The layout has worked very well for me over the past year although I still am making minor tweaks to it. The large top wooden box holds my stove, plates, tableware, spices etc. the blue crate below it holds the rest of my kitchen stuff as well as dry and canned food.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Doesn't that neccessatite you taking all that stuff out of the Jeep when you need to cook? Do you find yourself circling around the Jeep, going back and forth to the fridge from the tailgate table workspace? What do you do with all the stuff when its raining? How do you access it with out unloading it?

EDIT: I'm not trying to be critical, or poke holes into what you've got going on. I am just thinking through my own frustrations and problems that I am trying to solve...on a budget.

You ask some good questions, thank you. I am actually working on another video that shows how I set the Jeep up at camp.

In the mean time:
I actually have two different cooking setups that I use when camped.
1. On most of our trips we are moving every day. In this case the large wooden crate is moved to where I am sitting in the closing scene of the video. That gives me access to the large blue crate. Since both of those hold 95% of my cooking gear there is no need to take anything out of the rig. The large blue crate gets moved out of the way temporally to access the water containers, then is moved back.
2. When we are spending multiple days in the same spot I bring along a fold up wooden table and put the large wood box and blue crate on that and also use it for cooking instead of the tailgate table.

Going around the rig to get to the fridge is not an issue for me. It is only one trip to take stuff out and one to put anything back. Occasionally it is two trips if I change my mind or forget to take something out of it.

I have a tarp that I can setup that covers the back and sides of the cooking area if it looks like rain.

My setup is very budget friendly and has worked well for me in some very challenging conditions.

In the video above I showed that how I converted my Jeep from my daily driver to my camping rig. In this video I show how I pack it for an upcoming trip.

Jupiter58

Well done! Similar to what I do but I have a 4” drawer system that stays in all the time in the cargo area.
I also found a water tank that fits perfectly in the passenger rear footwell, 13 gallons and use an rv water pump. They make a smaller 7 gallon one also.

612d608d1f7936df300166b005f6e1ff.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan