Jeep J8 vs Defender 110 vs Mercedes G-Wagen vs Nissan Patrol Y61 vs Land Cruiser 76

Ultimate Overlander?

• Jeep J8

Votes: 12 11.0%
  • Defender 110

Votes: 14 12.8%
  • G-Wagen

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • Nissan Patrol

Votes: 13 11.9%
  • Land Cruiser 76

Votes: 45 41.3%

• Total voters

Scott Brady

Founder
10392493_10153749415638275_701941058519972377_n.jpg

I am just completing a comprehensive test (over 10 years, seven continents and 100,000+ miles) of each one of the great overland platforms, the best from each of the major automotive players in the overland space. This test is only of HD 4WD Wagons with low-range (so no pickups).

If you had to choose one of these vehicles as the ultimate overlander, which would it be and why?

Our editor's choice will be in the summer issue of Overland Journal, but I am curious what all of you would choose for the Ultimate Overlander. . .

Jeep J8
Defender 110 Puma
Mercedes G-Wagen 461 Professional
Nissan Patrol Y61 3.0 CRD
Land Cruiser VDJ76

(note: some of the images are not exactly as model above, but they are all white and the collage looks better that way ;) )

ExploringNH

Explorer
A worthy list of vehicles for sure. Lots of heritage in that list.

For me, it would come down to what type of trip and where in the world I were taking it. I wouldn't want to have that Patrol in the USA, for example, in case something were to need servicing.

The J8 I think offers the most comfort and amenities while the D110 offers the classic emotional and soulful connection to overlanding. For me, I would likely choose the Land Cruiser because of it's mix of a comfortable seating position and ride quality, great aftermarket support, reliability, interior space and load out options, and general flexibility with layouts and options that the platform provides.

The G-wagen is a great ride, especially the newer ones, but I think when placed in the arena with similarly modified vehicles, it falls short in terms of off-road performance. I know many will argue this but even with a locker, they do leave a little to be desired when compared to the capability of a Patrol or LC with the same amount of money thrown at it.

Again, all worthy adversaries and they all deserve a place as one of the top choices for all-around overland vehicles.

Last edited:

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
Not only would choose, but have chosen.....MB G 461. Often it is the little things that make a vehicle truly great. The G is engineered and polished. It will not only take you anywhere, you will enjoy the ride....

Redranger90

Resident Stuped Hillbilly
Jeep J8 vs Defender 110 vs Mercedes G-Wagen vs Nissan Patrol Y61 vs Land Crui...

A worthy list of vehicles for sure. Lots of heritage in that list.

For me, it would come down to what type of trip and where in the world I were taking it. I wouldn't want to have that Patrol in the USA, for example, in case something were to need servicing.

The J8 I think offers the most comfort and amenities while the D110 offers the classic emotional and soulful connection to overlanding. For me, I would likely choose the Land Cruiser because of it's mix of a comfortable seating position and ride quality, great aftermarket support, reliability, interior space and load out options, and general flexibility with layouts and options that the platform provides.

The G-wagen is a great ride, especially the newer ones, but I think when placed in the arena with similarly modified vehicles, it falls short in terms of off-road performance. I know many will argue this but even with a locker, they do leave a little to be desired when compared to the capability of a Patrol or LC with the same amount of money thrown at it.

Again, all worthy adversaries and they all deserve a place as one of the top choices for all-around overland vehicles.

I agree with your point from a geographical standpoint. If I were in Europe, the defender or g wagen would suffice, same for the nissan and Toyota in Australia or Asia. Here in the us we have a saying "cheap jeep" cus you may break something but at least you're not going to really break the bank for overseas shopping!

Scott Brady

Founder
The G-wagen is a great ride, especially the newer ones, but I think when placed in the arena with similarly modified vehicles, it falls short in terms of off-road performance.

That is an interesting assessment. Where do you feel the G-Wagen falls short? Ground clearance? Approach/Departure? Traction? Gearing?

Given that I own a G-Wagon (463) and also own a 70 series, I am curious of your experience on the difference of off-highway performance between the G-Klasse and a Land Cruiser 76.

ExploringNH

Explorer
That is an interesting assessment. Where do you feel the G-Wagen falls short? Ground clearance? Approach/Departure? Traction? Gearing?

Given that I own a G-Wagon (463) and also own a 70 series, I am curious of your experience on the difference of off-highway performance between the G-Klasse and a Land Cruiser 76.

I should preface this whole thing with that fact that I think any difference between these vehicles is largely splitting hairs. They are all fantastic and have a great feature set to bring to anyone looking to complete an overland trip and are all very capable off-road, especially when fitted with a small lift and more aggressive tires.

I should also give a little background about my first hand experiences with these vehicles, which is somewhat limited. I had a 200tdi 110 that I put about 13k miles on from NH to Colombia, 3" lift and 33" tires. No experience with the J8 but PLENTY of experience in the JKU platform offroad, mostly through spotting and watching them on the trails every year but also with a fair amount of time behind the wheel. They are by far the most popular vehicle that we see on our trips. My first hand experience with the G is with the 463 in the form of a 2008 G500 and a 2013 G550, both stock with street oriented tires (G55 as well, but never saw dirt in that). I have limited second hand experience via spotting and being on the trails a handful of times with a stock 77 (I think, it is the same as the 76, just the previous years) and also with a 76 that had a small (2-3"?) lift and slightly larger than stock tires but I've never actually driven one. I have no experience with the Patrol but am familiar with the Xterra and Titans with gas motors and a diesel Pathfinder (R51). Not enough to really know how a Patrol is, but maybe enough for a 100 foot feel of how it might be.

In stock form, I think all of these vehicles suffer from a horrendous lack of wheel travel and ground clearance, especially considering the fairly long wheelbases. I had to double check to make sure, and I am completely disregarding the Patrol here, but they all appear to be right about 116" wheelbase, save for the 110 at an obvious 110". Each type of terrain and part of the world is different, but the 116" wheelbase class of vehicles does really well here in the Northeast, where we have a pretty wide variety of terrain and obstacles. I don't think wheelbase is a detractor to the G at all and in fact, I think it is a perfect wheelbase for an all-around vehicle. Approach/departure were also pretty much a non-issue for me. Gearing has never bothered me off-road in anything I have ever driven, as long as it had a dual speed transfer case. To me, gearing is only an issue on the street. Off-road I am in 4LO and with that multiplier, any axle gearing change isn't a massive game changer, especially when spun through an auto trans. Mercedes does some good work with traction aids (my daily is an S-class) but when dual locked, those go out the window. The G and JK are nice because larger tires can be fitted with minimal lift. Lower COG and roll center is always better.

It is hard to compare stock to stock, since they come very differently equipped. The G starts with locking diffs at front and rear which put it miles ahead of a stock D110, open/open. I think that to make it a fair comparison we need to add lockers to the other vehicles where they lack them. Once everyone is dual locked, the playing field is a lot more level. I understand that this adds to the budget and takes away from factory reliability, but considering the base cost of even a used G vs a 110, there is some money to play with and hopefully ARBs will be reliable enough. I think we also need to add a small lift to each of these to fit larger tires. The G only needs about 1-1.5", the D110 about 3" and the 76 maybe 2".

When modified to this point, I think suspension designs, geometries, and some of the nuances that don't show up in spec sheets come into play. The G seems to bounce more and struggle to put pressure to the ground to find traction where the JK, 110, and 70 always seem to spin a half revolution and somehow find traction every time. I know that tires play a big part in this, but I am trying to be as objective as possible and am trying to only compare characteristics of equally equipped vehicles. The G also exhibits a definite lack of wheel travel, in my experience. I know people will jump up and down and shout, "but it has lockers!"... I know that lockers do make up for this to some extent, but there is certain value added when you have more tires on the ground at any given point. Predictability, stability, traction (even if it is minimal due to weight transfer), smoothness, and control-ability are all improved by letting the opposite tire touch down. Even with lift kits, the G seems to lack the travel that other vehicles have. Obviously the JK excels in this area with the Rubicon package and the electric sway bar disconnect, but even disconnecting the swaybar on a G doesn't net much more for travel. It's just an inherent downfall to the suspension design. The Toyota with the correct shocks and springs shows some impressive wheel travel and the 110 isn't too bad either.

To sum up this ramble about the minute differences between extremely capable vehicles, I think the G falls short because of lack of wheel travel and the seeming struggle to find traction in areas where it's competitors don't struggle as much. I don't think it is a poor performer off-road, actually the opposite, once fitted with proper tires, but if a clear winner needs to be declared from a field of 5 very capable vehicles, the small differences are what will determine the outcome.

Also keep in mind that my current overland rig is an Excursion on 37" tires, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. :elkgrin:

Scott Brady

Founder
A fair assessment overall. Tires are always a critical consideration, so evaluations need to minimize their influence, particularly in muddy terrain. In reality, few attributes affect effectiveness in the mud more than tires. Chassis and differential clearance is important, but tires are the primary. Fortunately, we were able to test all of these vehicles with stock tires and in a modified configuration. The J8 in stock form would of course rule the wet with mud tires fitted from the factory. . .

AZJim

Observer
While my preference would be the J8, and I do know they have a rough ride with the rear leafs, especially if lightly loaded, but it's still a very good vehicle. If doing world travel, then parts availability should be of primary importance over other factors. I vote for Land Cruiser 76.

Jim

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
A lot of what I am reading here seems to be more relevant to heavy off-road/wheeling endeavors. Unless I am misreading this, the comparison is for overland travel. While there is some overlap, they are not the same. This distinction often seems to get lost...especially by my NA colleges.

:)

As a overlander, comfort and reliability are more important than wheel travel and lift. In a long term situation, where I am totally reliant on my vehicle, the last thing I am going to do is tackle unnecessary obstacles and travel risky terrain unless no better option exists. While you can get away with such behavior in developed parts of the world like NA or Western Europe, with nothing more than extra costs and an interruption to your journey, other places you might be stuck for a long time....perhaps even fatally. A bit of technical terrain is part of the fun, but not the prime characteristic of a overland vehicle.

Subjectively I think MB & Toyota have the most expansive parts/ maintenance networks with LR a close competitor. The availability of mechanics/parts worldwide for the other vehicles is not known to me, so I can't really address that. Of course most of us probably do our own maintenance, so this may only apply for major problem. This is where the MB shines. Very reliable and long lived. Defenders require a certain amount of TLC, but are manageable if you can do the little things yourself...this is more true the older the Defender is.
I can't speak from experience for the other vehicles, as I have only limited actual first hand experience with them

A last note ( otherwise I might ramble on forever about this) I think the only fair way to compare these vehicles is to compare a stock configuration and stick to the models listed. There are significant differences between a G500 and a G461 as well as between a LC 76 and 100 for example. You can turn a stock anyvheicle into something else with all the expertise and aftermarket stuff out there, but the end result has little in common with the base vehicle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
I agree.

4WD performance was considered, but not more than other critical factors (i.e., it was weighted equally).

Understandably, the NA mindset for remote travel will always favor 4WD performance, as our distances are much shorter (generally) and the routes more difficult (generally). For this test, all attributes were weighted equally. We tested both stock and lightly modified versions of each vehicle. Modified versions were nearly identical in configuration (i.e., 50mm lift, slightly larger tire, front bumper, blah, blah). Well, the J8 was never really modified and it would still outperform a modified 70 series on the trail. . . (queue screaming and gnashing of teeth ;) )

Capability:
The ability of the vehicle to traverse rocky, muddy, and crossed-axle terrain, including deep water crossings, severe side slopes, and hill climbs and descents.

Capacity:
The ability to carry weight; measured by payload specifications and interior storage volume aft of the front seats.

Durability:
The ability of the vehicle to travel for extended periods of time (years) over rugged terrain while fully loaded and without chassis or drivetrain failure.

Reliability:
The ability of a vehicle to perform without engine, electrical, or support system failure due to component malfunction or workmanship error.

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
I have no doubts about the testing OJ does....I expect this comparison to be of the normal, outstanding quality we have come to expect.

I do take exception to the idea that NA overlanders tend to shorter, more difficult routes....while I agree to the truth of this, I think the reasons are because many NA folks intentionally seek what I call the " wheeling factor" The tendency being to go out for a weekend or so to tackle tough trails, etc. Such trips tend to not really address the long term travel challenges and reliability that ( for me anyway) defines overlanding and overland vehicles ( notice I don't say " expedition " ....that is a whole other story). Not that there Is anything wrong with weekend trips....anything that gets folks out and about is good.

Another point is that NA type overlanding is just as possible and easy in Europe. Weekend trips to Romania or Poland will give you all the Wheeling you could wish for (as an example). It is just not as popular. Longer trips are more the norm.

Anyway, getting way off topic, so best steer back onto the path.....

Of the vehicles listed, the only ones I have extended, personal experience with are the Defender 110 and G wagon. I have limited miles (KM, whatever) in a LC or two (would be hard pressed to tell you which ones they were....<<<ashamed I am>>>>>). Jeeps (not the J8 as far as I know) as a civilian vehicle, are strangers to me...although I do see more of them around these days. Any of the 4 wheel Nissans? nope.....seen a few but never any real hands on. Did do some off road driving in a Pajero (which isn't on the list, so why did I even mention it!?!).

I love the Defender. For short, beat around driving/trips I think they are the bee's knees...but without significant aftermarket work, they are a bit like driving around in a tin lunchbox. I would not want to drive one long term...although many folks do and love it. Also, a Defender is outperformed both on road and off road by the LR4 (another one not not he list!), so if performance was the only factor......

But as stated before, the G (not the BLIN-Gs that so many drive, but the good old solid 461's) is my ride of preference. I fear no trip, on or off road, of any length, driving this reliable, comfortable, and well engineered beast. If you have never driven one, then you do not know what you are missing.

Last edited:

ExploringNH

Explorer
Addressing the "offroad" aspect...Notice my vote goes to the 70 series and my reasonings for choosing this vehicle did not include offroad prowess. The 70 series would not be my choice of vehicle out of those listed if offroad travel was weighted more heavily than other values. ;)

AZJim

Observer
Load carrying is pretty good in the J8. When we ran FRL tests it would take quite a stack of ballast mats to get it there. And was a pain in the rear to load and secure the ballast. I believe all the ones we tested ran a 24volt system. The only luxury items were the a/c (thank goodness), and maybe an automatic. Otherwise bare bones.

Jim

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
Jeep J8 vs Defender 110 vs Mercedes G-Wagen vs Nissan Patrol Y61 vs Land Crui...

I have never seen a J8....had to do some research to be able to place it. Info I have found seems to indicate that they are not available for US and Europe due to emissions and such?

Bad information?

The Jeeps I am most familiar with were the old M151 type from my early service days....so it might not have been a "Jeep" per se but it sure did go anywhere! Sad day when the HMMWV replaced them. So I'm to take it the J8 was/is the Hummer replacement.... No clue since I retired from the service late in 2003....

I have driven a few civilian Jeeps, but not long and never in the context of overlanding

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
I tend to shorter, more difficult routes....while I agree to the truth of this, I think the reasons are because many NA folks intentionally seek what I call the " wheeling factor" The tendency being to go out for a weekend or so to tackle tough trails, etc. Such trips tend to not really address the long term travel challenges and reliability that ( for me anyway) defines overlanding and overland vehicles ( notice I don't say " expedition " ....that is a whole other story).

But as stated before, the G (not the BLIN-Gs that so many drive, but the good old solid 461's) is my ride of preference. I fear no trip, on or off road, of any length, driving this reliable, comfortable, and well engineered beast. If you have never driven one, then you do not know what you are missing.

I agree, and why we focused on cross-continent travel as the testing consideration, not recreational fourwheeling. Nothing wrong with technical trails, but it was not a major consideration in the testing outcome.

Also agree on the G-Wagen. I drive one every day.

The result of this test was not what vehicle I would drive around the world, but what vehicle I would recommend my sister buy to drive around the world ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179