Jeep jku CB install in center console?

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Uniden 520 mounted facing forward under the drivers seat. A simple piece of flat stock aluminum between the seat rails can be fabricated. Use an external speaker, place where you like. I just leave mine under the seat since I rarely use the CB. Pull the speaker out and put it in a cup holder usually the rear seat one. The Uniden only has a few knobs so you preset the channel and you can reach down and change the volume and squelch fairly easily. I think I had photographs of mine installed on the Gear's Baja JK thread.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/6947-Gear-s-Baja-JK-Thread/page14?highlight=Baja

Post #136

Last edited:

Abe Froman

Adventurer
Uniden 520 mounted facing forward under the drivers seat. A simple piece of flat stock aluminum between the seat rails can be fabricated. Use an external speaker, place where you like. I just leave mine under the seat since I rarely use the CB. Pull the speaker out and put it in a cup holder usually the rear seat one. The Uniden only has a few knobs so you preset the channel and you can reach down and change the volume and squelch fairly easily. I think I had photographs of mine installed on the Gear's Baja JK thread.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/6947-Gear-s-Baja-JK-Thread/page14?highlight=Baja

Post #136

Thanks for posting that.
I may copy your underseat location.
I'd prefer an external speaker regardless and it seems that the mic cord would be fine running in to your lap vs. dangling around the rear view mirror and windshield.
I'd likely only use the CB in group off-road events, so I don't need to change channels once I'm moving.
I like the underseat slightly better than center console.

I do really want to avoid cop car truck driver dash; and this certainly avoids visual clutter.

MOguy

Explorer
Thanks for posting that.
I may copy your underseat location.
I'd prefer an external speaker regardless and it seems that the mic cord would be fine running in to your lap vs. dangling around the rear view mirror and windshield.
I'd likely only use the CB in group off-road events, so I don't need to change channels once I'm moving.
I like the underseat slightly better than center console.

I do really want to avoid cop car truck driver dash; and this certainly avoids visual clutter.

In crowed areas, mostly off road parks, there are time when I have had to change the channel but not often and not really that big of a deal. I would prefer mounting it under the seat then in or around the center console.

In the past I hung mine behind the center console and it seemed to always be in the way. Mine is hung above by the rear view mirror and I am happy with it there.

bajarat

Explorer
I have a 2014 JKU and this is my install.

Order Uniden 520 from Bell's CB shop in Florida. Have then do a max output tune on it also.
https://www.bellscb.com/products/cbradios/uniden/Uniden_PRO-520XL.htm

I removed the glove box (5 seconds) and attached mounting bracket to bar in top of glove box.

Ran power direct from battery which is only 24" away.

Mounted 36" Firestick antenna (which is top-loaded) on RH side of front bumper and ran coax (along with power) through easy to utilize place in firewall.

I only use CB on group runs. This leaves no visible holes or ugly full time mount location for the 95% of the time you are not using CB. I can hear the speaker and adjust VOL and SQL if needed easily. Speaker on 520 is night and day difference from the Cobra 75 (I gave it away away making the change to the 520).

My CB gets out far better than anyone I wheel with and get compliments on it all the time from others. The typical Cobra 75 and Firestick on rear tailgate or spare is the worst combination Jeepers typically migrate to.

Skclown

I also have a uniden CB, I wanted it up and out of the way but handy if I needed it because I don't use it everyday. I find that I barely see it in this spot, and it's easy to reach if I need it. The other plus is that it was very easy to install in this location. My only problem was that the coax I bought had pre-attached ends and since my antenna is next to the spare tire on the tailgate, I had a little difficulty getting the end through the tailgate part while keeping it looking nice. IMG_1589.jpgIMG_1589.jpgIMG_1590.jpgIMG_1591.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12