Jeep KJ trip to Moab... July 13-22, 2007

2500Adventures

Adventurer
Well sorry for no photo updates but my mom's camera seems to be on the fritz...anyways, itinerary has been updated with more exact plans on page 1.

Update on additions and future plans for the Jeep before the trip:

I built a shelf for the rear cargo area, big enough to cover the rear section of the cargo area behind the larger of the 2 rear seats.

I finished test fitting a 3 drawer plastic container system, it held up well to all the fast turns and rough terrain I took it through.

I have a a replacement part for my CB so that will all get fixed and tuned up and operating properly by the weekend hopefully.

Ordering 5 Quarts of AMSOIL 7500 XL Series motor oil, Wix oil filter, and AMSOIL Absolute efficiency air filter to be put in just before the trip gets underway.

Got 400W Black and Decker Power Invertor to run laptop and battery charger for cameras while on the trip. Can be plugged into secondary DC outlet in back of Jeep or clipped on to spare auto battery located in rear cargo area under storage shelf.

Tons of other items ready to be placed in the Jeep once the trip commences..i still need to work on a laptop mount of some kind...just not sure where exactly I'd like to put it though...hmmm

But I'll try and get pics up as soon as the camera begins to cooperate again..thanks for following along, got any questions or comments please feel free to chime in...

-Scott

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
2006KJSPORT4x4 said:
So I think we might just have a go on a meeting of sorts in Denver if anyone else is interested in it. Seems that DaveinDenver is up for it, anyone else???
Yeah, I plan to meet up with Scott, if it works out. There's not really not much right there, a couple of little pizza places on the other side of I-70, nothing really big enough. Sam's Sports Bar used to be there, but I think it closed. It's kind of a dive, don't remember the food being much of anything.

How about we go up to Old Town Arvada? There's a pub up there, pretty decent food and beer, called the Cheshire Cat Brewery.

Google Map to the Brewpub

Cheshire Cat Website

jg45

I second taking the Long Canyon trail from 279 to get to Canyon Lands visitor Center. It is well worth the drive for the scenary and is also a very easy trail to get started out on. That has been my route the two times I've camped in CL. The Schaffer switchbacks are awesome to go down. Man I wish I could go with ya'll.

Me on Long Canyon trail in a rented TJ:
P9070016.JPG

Sunset from Gooseberry after a rain:

P9070025.JPG

2500Adventures

Adventurer
Well I snapped some photos tonight of the gear I'm bringing. Of course it is not all of it but it is a start.

First off, the electric cooler...a bit bigger then i anticipated but seems to work great for what I need. Or at least for now it does.
n56400045_30191136_7299.jpg

Next we have a plastic container that will go on the roof. It will contain extra fluids and filters and other things that I hopefully won't need to get too. Which is why it will be on the roof since i won't need it to be accessible in the Jeep. AMSOIL oil and air filter, Wix oil filter and K&N filter are all visible in there now, still room for other small things if need be.
n56400045_30191137_7551.jpg

Now we have the 3 drawer system that will contain many different things that will need accessing while in camp but not while on the road, hopefully.
n56400045_30191135_122.jpg

Bottom drawer contains pots, pans, and a flat top skillet...
n56400045_30191134_6783.jpg

Top drawer has baby wipes, hand sanitizer, OFF bug spray, extra D batteries for flashlight and lantern (both LED items), dish soap and eventually other things.
n56400045_30191132_6280.jpg

Now for the rest of the stuff. I got the Coleman grill, tent (yellow bag), sleeping bag (front right), air mattress (behind tent bag), fire extinguisher (seen bottom left), picnic bag containing silverware, plates, cups, bottle opener and cutting board (green bag), big blue 7 gallon water container for use in washing hands and cleaning dishes or other things. And of course there are ratchet straps and bungees.
n56400045_30191133_6530.jpg

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Looks like the trip planning and vehicle prep are coming together nicely. Good luck on the trip. I'm jealous. I still need to get up there some day. Be safe and take good notes. I want a trip report either during or when you get back.

Take care, sir.

TD

2500Adventures

Adventurer
No problem Tony, I'm going to try and be in touch with some pictures and trip status as much as possible. I reckon the only time I'll have internet though will be at the hotel stops in Denver, unless I luck out with a brief connection wirelessly in Moab some place.

There will be more picture snapping this weekend as most of my gear will be put in the KJ for a test fit and I hope to make a little trip this weekend too and make sure all the gear inside is secure enough to not fly around while on the trails or otherwise.

The fire extinguisher will get mounted along with the laptop (maybe) this weekend too. The power invertor will be hooked up and we'll see how much juice I can use out of the KJ and not be in bad spot.

jg45

The preperations look to be coming along nicely Scott. Are you going to have people riding in the back seat? What all do you plan to store on the roof?

2500Adventures

Adventurer
Well there will be 3 people in the KJ counting myself. Aunt and Uncle are tagging along. I'll be picking them up in KC along with their gear of course.

On the roof is planned the following: Blitz jerry can, that gray plastic bin pictured, camp chairs (about 4 of them), a tarp with other things wrapped up in it most likely, Hi-Lift jack of course, and hopefully nothing else, but we'll see what happens.

jg45

Will that cooler of yours fit in the back without the seat down. I guess if there are only three you could let down one half of the seat. I'll be interested to see how it all fits, for ideas when I head west.

2500Adventures

Adventurer
I'll get some pics up this weekend of the setup once I get it all installed and test fitted.....you still interested in hitting up the Holly Springs Forest at some point this weekend John, maybe even a little camping perhaps??

If we're in town we'd definately meet up with you guys. Otherwise, we'll be somewhere west of Denver :p.

For ArchesNP, check out the Natl Geo maps. It's too bad if the 4WD road is closed right now...otherwise, you can start off 128(?) at Klondike Bluffs road, head up and hike out the bluffs, then head over the bluffs to Salt Valley road and around to Tower Arch, and take 4WD road (if it's open) back to Arches. You come out near Balanced Rock.

-Sean

2500Adventures

Adventurer
Yes the plan is still to meet up at The Cheshire Cat around 7pm. I should be in town before then and will drop things off at the hotel and then make my way to the Pub. I look forward to meeting all those that attend. I'm also in touch with the local Jeep KJ group that is there and some of those members might be in attendance too after their July trail run that morning and afternoon. Looking forward to it ladies and gents. I have got new pictures of the rig and what it is equipped with it is just a matter or getting them uploaded now and posted, so I'll be doing that shortly. Should be a great trip, really looking forward to it!!!!!!

-Scott

2500Adventures

Adventurer
Thanks Scott, a good time is most certainly planned and will most likely happen. Of course there will be tons of pics taken and posted after or maybe during the trip. Keep your eyes open for some....

Now here is the setup as it stands now in the KJ...

n56400045_30197296_4350.jpg

You can see in this picture the fire extinguisher, 3 drawer system, and 7 gallon water container. Extra ratchet straps and bungees. On top of the drawers is a picnic set that contains plates, silverware, cups and napkins for up to 4 persons. The top drawer contains extra batteries, dish soap, hand soap, baby wipes, sun tan lotion, aloe, bug spray, and other items. The second drawer contains towels and 4 wine glasses for a nice dinner I have planned while out on the trail. The third drawer contains pots and pans and a skillet.

n56400045_30197300_825.jpg

In this picture you can see the tent, sleeping bag, spout for Blitz jerry can, tools in gray case under shelf, extra pieces of wood for jack and any other reason it may become helpful. There is a spare battery under the shelf as well that the power invertor can plug into or we can use to charge off in the field if need be. Of course you can see the butt end of the Hi-Lift inside. I was hoping to have time to make mounts for it on the side of my roof basket but I have run out of time between work and family obligations before this trip.

n56400045_30197299_570.jpg

Here you can see the 400W Black & Decker Power Invertor. I have a towel stuck in the window there to help keep direct sunlight off of it when it is in use so as to keep its temp down. You see the plug in the cig lighter there, that is for the Koolatron cooler that sits on top of the reclined seat behind the 3 drawer system. Cord is good and long to reach just about anywhere necessary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78