Jeep Liberty on the White Rim?

rokklym

One Man Wolfpack
The wife and I are trying to figure out what to do for vacation this year. I went out to Moab last year on the motorcycle with some friends and did the White rim trail.

Click here for pics of last years trip
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=456031

Anyways, the wife has a 2002 Jeep Liberty Renegade, kind of a fun little vehicle. what are the minimum amount of mods I would have to do to it to make it capable of that route (and other routes of that difficulty).

Obviously, it needs some suspension lift, heck it needs some lift just to keep the 235 Firestone MT's from rubbing at full lock. I don't really want to dump a lot of money into it and it still needs to be a good daily driver.

I don't want it to end up like this!
514197342_NQiAR-L.jpg

But I think she needs to see sights like this in person
516143529_GdWm5-L.jpg

Last edited:

sgv209

Observer
I am pretty sure I have seen pictures linked on google earth of a ford escape on the White Rim Trail. I would imagine that you would need minimal lift to make it through. There are really only two sections that would require careful tire placement: Murphy's Hogback, and Hardscrabble Hill. I had very little problem with it when I did it back in early december. It was definitely one of my most memorable experiences and it is just awe inspiring.

Here is a picture of my pretty much stock jeep on the edge of the rim.
IMG_2893.JPG

Here is a thread I made for my whole trip My Jeep Trip

tommudd

Explorer
Do you have skids ? I would start there for sure.
Then OME LIFT, I have installed over a dozen on KJs now with no problems, you will get between 2.25 and 3.5 inches of lift depending on what you want to add. It will be a better DD after the lift than it is now. Will handle better for sure.
OME 927 front springs
OME 947 rear springs
Teraflex extended bumpstops for the front
2 hockey pucks per side in the rear for bumpstops
I have used Rancho RSX shocks front and rear 17004 for the rear, 17505 for the front, they stopped making them but there are still some out there at Summit racing and JeepinbyAl these are great for the KJ
My first lift was the above set up and lasted 100,000 miles , switched it out for OMEs/ Ranchos again for the next 100,000 :)
Good size tire with the above is the 245-75-16s, would not have to regear but you can go to 265-75-16s which I have done. Need 4.10s with the 265-75s though to regain power and mileage
Mines on the left in the picture, one on the right has the Frankenlift by AllJs (www.boulderbars.com) which is popular as well
Hope that helps some

fallpictures010.jpg

phxtoad

Adventurer
Try the LOST forum, too. Plenty of guys have run all over Moab and can clarify any concerns with White Rim. I've only been on Fins & Things, Porcupine Rim, Long Canyon, & Gemini Bridges. They were fairly easy with the basic 2.5" lift & 245/75 combo...

Scott Brady

Founder
You can run the White Rim stock with a 4wd KJ. It only gets challenging in wet weather (along the river).

Just make sure you have good quality tires with sufficient tread left and a full-size spare. Bring along an air compressor and air down to about 20psi.

Have fun!
DSCF3061.jpg

rokklym

One Man Wolfpack
Do you have skids ? I would start there for sure.
Then OME LIFT, I have installed over a dozen on KJs now with no problems, you will get between 2.25 and 3.5 inches of lift depending on what you want to add. It will be a better DD after the lift than it is now. Will handle better for sure.
OME 927 front springs
OME 947 rear springs
Teraflex extended bumpstops for the front
2 hockey pucks per side in the rear for bumpstops
I have used Rancho RSX shocks front and rear 17004 for the rear, 17505 for the front, they stopped making them but there are still some out there at Summit racing and JeepinbyAl these are great for the KJ
My first lift was the above set up and lasted 100,000 miles , switched it out for OMEs/ Ranchos again for the next 100,000 :)
Good size tire with the above is the 245-75-16s, would not have to regear but you can go to 265-75-16s which I have done. Need 4.10s with the 265-75s though to regain power and mileage
Mines on the left in the picture, one on the right has the Frankenlift by AllJs (www.boulderbars.com) which is popular as well
Hope that helps some

That is some great info! Thanks for that, I need to dig deeper into the suspension. I was going to just throw in the spacer lift to clear the tires, but I might need to go a little more advanced than that.

phxtoad

Adventurer
That is some great info! Thanks for that, I need to dig deeper into the suspension. I was going to just throw in the spacer lift to clear the tires, but I might need to go a little more advanced than that.

That is great advice, but if cost is a concern the spacer lift is more than adequate. I ran the Daystar spacers and Rancho's for 5 years. I now run the Frankenlift/OME combo. In all honesty I do not feel that there is a tremendous difference between the two. The Franky is more 'plush' for sure, but you are still just lifting a heavy piglet... :)

Desert Dan

Explorer
I did it in a overloaded stock Willys Wagon in 1979. I wish I had had mud tires.

Use common sense and you should be fine.

durango_60

Explorer
I wouldn't hesitate to take a liberty on white rim, last year a buddy followed me in a kia sorrento and with a little spotting he had no issues.

The only serious difficulty would be if it gets wet, and then I don't care what you are driving you will have difficulty. I was unable to safely get up Murphy's locked front and rear with nearly new mud tires.

Desert Dan

Explorer
No digital cameras for sure but my friend had a 35mm so I will have to scan some of the old pictures of our trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998