Jeep Owners…Keep An Eye on This “Death Wobble’ Proposed Settlement

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
If your Jeep has ever scared the cr@p out of you after hitting a bump at highway speeds and going into that infamous death wobble, you might want to learn more about this proposal to settle claims for repairs/damages from that and/or extend your warranty.

Here is the Update on this class action settlement from AutoBlog this week:

https://www.autoblog.com/2023/01/30/jeep-death-wobble-settlement/?icid=autoblog|trend|jeep-'death-wobble'-class-action-settlement-includes-warranty-extension,-reimbursement

Jeep 'Death Wobble' class action settlement includes warranty extension, reimbursement
The settlement isn't final yet, but things appear to be moving in that direction
Chris Teague

Jeep owners are among the most loyal and rabid fans of any vehicle brand out there. The number of Jeep-related events, accessories, and media entities is staggering. All that Jeep positivity is impressive, but there’s one significant problem that unites the brand’s owners like no other: “Death Wobble.” The issue became so widespread that owners banded together on a class action suit, and we recently learned the case's outcome.

As part of its settlement, FCA, Stellantis’ U.S. division and Jeep’s owner, will offer some owners warranty extensions and could reimburse owners for expenses already incurred related to the problem. The new eight-year/90,000-mile warranty covers replacement parts and labor related to a failed front suspension damper. “Death wobble” occurs at highway speeds. When the driver hits a bump, the vehicle’s steering wheel, wheels and tires, and suspension can vibrate or shake. From the driver’s seat, it feels like a temporary loss of control, and outside the vehicle, the shaking wheels can look quite dramatic.

The suite has been working its way through the courts for years. First filed in 2019, the case still needs to pass a fairness hearing in April before being finalized. FCA has always maintained that the issue is not a safety concern, but many disagree. Some reports of the issue go back even further, causing congresspeople to draft a letter to then-CEO Sergio Marchionne and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administrationin 2012.

“Death wobble,” primarily associated with the Jeep Wrangler and Gladiator, can apparently happen in any vehicle with a solid front axle. FCA’s former chief technical compliance officer compared the issue to the resonance that builds after striking a tuning fork, as the suspension and components tend to vibrate back and forth when the wobble strikes.”

Last edited:

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
It’s not exactly clear to me how many/which Jeep’s this case settlement will cover, but an update on an earlier report in 2020 mentioned @ 192,000 affected Jeep owners might be involved.

(From the above article):
“Given that Jeep sold more than that (number ⬆️) in Wranglers alone during 2018, 2019, and 2020, the number of owners (impacted) may grow before the dust settles.”

FordGuy1

Adventurer
We get at least 2-3 per day. The Jeep fix is a joke. The only way to really fix it is to put on adjustable arms a reduce the caster. Nothing like grandma getting the death shake at 70 mph in her new 65k Jeep.

Kronk

I can say for sure it happens in stock Wranglers. It happened to my 2008 JKU at about 30K miles. Stock suspension on stock Goodyear’s. Not to say it’s common to stock vehicles but I know it’s happened at least once! Replaced the ball joints and it’s been good since.
That being said, I think you’re right and this will only hasten the demise of the solid axle Wrangler. :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldnslow

Observer
Like bilIiebob, I have never heard of this happening to a stock Wrangler. I had a 1999 TJ Wrangler for 19 years and about 120K miles. I ran stock wheels with 31" (and later 32") tires and a 2-1/2" lift. I never experienced this death wobble.

I have experienced death wobble (as a passenger) in a friend's '81 or '82 Chevy van. It had IFS, so this is not limited to solid axles. That van had been used hard and run without maintenance for many years. Chassis lube? He didn't need no stinking chassis lube!

I am of the opinion that this death wobble is associated mostly with vehicles with large tires and low offset wheels. This puts a lot of strain on the ball joints and steering linkage. Driving hard ("drive it like you stole it") and / or lack of maintenance will make matters worse.

I really don't see why Jeep should be held liable for the results of adding aftermarket parts.

Edit: I guess Kronk proved me wrong on stock Wranglers while I was typing. But notice how he fixed it with new ball joints.

Interesting indeed for the wrangler crowd. Imagine it will be strict no modification coverage.

Full blown wobble always pointed to the trackbar momentum in my experience - with anything else just setting off the chain effect. In my case (cherokee) plating the unibody and fabricating a tube stiffener for the frame beefed up the wet noodle feeling when everything else still left more to be desired.

jakegrovephoto-the-grove-prototype-cherokee-death-wobble-frame-stiffener.jpegjakegrovephoto-the-grove-cherokee-trackbar-brace-diy-death-wobble.jpegjakegrovephoto-the-grove-trackbar-brace-cherokee-1.jpeg

toddz69

Explorer
We get at least 2-3 per day. The Jeep fix is a joke. The only way to really fix it is to put on adjustable arms a reduce the caster. Nothing like grandma getting the death shake at 70 mph in her new 65k Jeep.
Perhaps I missed it, but what is the "Jeep fix"?

Todd Z.

Zeep

Adventurer
I don't get any wobble in my '05. My '95 Dodge 3/4 ton V-10, had it pop up a couple of times.
New tires and shocks, cured that!

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I received a recall notice but threw it away. It stated 2018-2020ish Wranglers I think. I assumed they meant JL model Wranglers, not my JK although I know it's capable of death wobble too. I've experienced it in my CJ7 with oversized tires fitted as well as my brothers XJ. He bought it a state away and drove it home with a bad track bar. Needless to say he was a little shook up when he got home and that was the first item he addressed!

PCO6

Adventurer
I experienced death wobble in a Jeep for the first and only time with a stock 2003 TJ I purchased. It was fine on the test drive. I bought it and drove it home about 100 km a week later and it was anything but. The front end checked out fine. The wheels were out of balance and that's all it took.

Years ago it happened several times in an International Harvester truck my Dad owned. He fully rebuilt the front end and I can't say specifically what the problem was. No doubt it was a number of things.

Last edited:

Sooper Camper

Adventurer
I am of the opinion that this death wobble is associated mostly with vehicles with large tires and low offset wheels. This puts a lot of strain on the ball joints and steering linkage. Driving hard ("drive it like you stole it") and / or lack of maintenance will make matters worse.

I really don't see why Jeep should be held liable for the results of adding aftermarket parts.
I worked at, and closely with, Synergy MFG for almost a decade. We sold thousands of parts to Jeep owners, even stock/very mild ones. There were quite a few design flaws and quality shortcuts on the JL and JK platforms, Jeep knows half the people that buy them are throwing a bunch of parts away anyway, so why not maximize margin??? The JK, specifically, had junk ball joints and tie rod ends, which wear out quickly, even stock. The JL was a little more interesting to solve. The steering and ball joints were better, (aside from the typical Mopar QC problems) but still not great. We had a lot of trouble eliminating the last bit of slop from the JL after we upgraded all the linkages. It turned out to be quite the issue: the aluminum steering box would be so loose cold once the vehicle had some miles on it, that it would create wobble in the steering interface...eventually the box would warm up and the backlash would tighten back up and the wobble would go away. Surprise...the JL no longer has an aluminum steering box (which was a weight saving measure driven by mileage requirements at launch). Death wobble is just a feedback loop that develops in a complex system...any one or combined issues can create it and it then cascades down the line. Bigger parts don't always help, but I've driven highly modified (literally every moving part) Jeeps and Rams on 40+" tires that drive better than a stock version ever would.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I worked at, and closely with, Synergy MFG for almost a decade. We sold thousands of parts to Jeep owners, even stock/very mild ones. There were quite a few design flaws and quality shortcuts on the JL and JK platforms, Jeep knows half the people that buy them are throwing a bunch of parts away anyway, so why not maximize margin??? The JK, specifically, had junk ball joints and tie rod ends, which wear out quickly, even stock. The JL was a little more interesting to solve. The steering and ball joints were better, (aside from the typical Mopar QC problems) but still not great. We had a lot of trouble eliminating the last bit of slop from the JL after we upgraded all the linkages. It turned out to be quite the issue: the aluminum steering box would be so loose cold once the vehicle had some miles on it, that it would create wobble in the steering interface...eventually the box would warm up and the backlash would tighten back up and the wobble would go away. Surprise...the JL no longer has an aluminum steering box (which was a weight saving measure driven by mileage requirements at launch). Death wobble is just a feedback loop that develops in a complex system...any one or combined issues can create it and it then cascades down the line. Bigger parts don't always help, but I've driven highly modified (literally every moving part) Jeeps and Rams on 40+" tires that drive better than a stock version ever would.
I've been curious to know more about the ball joints on a JK. I heard they were junk, but the JK's that my wife and I own are recon packages and Jeep claimed they had "upgraded" ball joints on the recon front axle, which is different as well with thicker tubes, brackets and much heavier inner C's. I just wonder what they consider an upgrade?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger