Jeep Safari Cab

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Sha-zaam!

THAT is COOL!
It wouldn't surprise me if JS has seen it but who knows? If you don't mind I'm gonna cross post it on the CJ8 forum and see if any of the guys there recognize it? Looks like a CJ7 version of a Postal...sortof...? Way coo, esp w/ the ladder and troopy seats!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Not only have I seen them, but I owned one. I bought it in Wales when I lived in London, and brought it back to the US when I moved back. It's actually a CJ-7 World Cab (yes, the CJ-7 version of the Alaskan Postal).

Here's a photo when I was test-fitting it on my TJ (it's designed for a CJ BTW):

CJ7WorldCab.jpg

And here's a "World Cab family photo" I staged - my CJ-8 World Cab, the CJ-7 World Cab, and a CJ-10a half cab, also part of the World Cab family:

WCFamily.jpg

If you're wondering what happened to my CJ-7 World Cab... I cut it up to make the half-cab for my Retro Wrangler pickup, and combined it with parts of the CJ-10a half-cab:

MyTop.jpg

RetroWranglerHT3.jpg

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Killing me...

So now your telling me I need to leave my full hard top stateside when I bring the "8" to Germany and find a world cab huh? DOH! Wonder how hard they are to find...? Is there a Craigslist over there? Hmm...

jscherb

Expedition Leader
So now your telling me I need to leave my full hard top stateside when I bring the "8" to Germany and find a world cab huh? DOH! Wonder how hard they are to find...? Is there a Craigslist over there? Hmm...
Don't get your hopes up, the only country where World Cabs aren't extremely rare is Venezuela. The CJ-7 World Cab I bought in Wales was reportedly one of only two in the entire UK. I've never seen one on the European continent, but there may be a few somewhere there.

But hey, if my Safari Cab goes into production you could get one of them :).

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Jeep Corporate called these tops the "World Cab", but they went under different names in different markets.

Here's a clip from a UK brochure from the 80's. In the UK is was only available for the CJ-7, and they called it the "Safari Hard Top" there. In Australia it was only available for the CJ-8, and they called it the "Overlander" there. In Venezuela, it was called the Llanero, and was available for both the -7, the -8, the YJ, and the YJ-L (a Scrambler-length version of the YJ). It was also offered with the AIL Storm, a YJ-L built under license in Israel as a military vehicle into this century.

SafariTop.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78