Jeep unlimited lift kits.... What did you do?

Finatic Angler

Adventurer
I have searched and haven't found the answers I am looking for.

What kit did you go with for your JK unlimited?

I want to lift no more than 2.5 inches and am looking to add 33's in the spring to replace the horrible stock tires that came with my 14 JKUR.

I just ordered a 2" BDS spring lift but after reading the instalation guide I really don't like grinding out the bracket for the lower control arm to accommodate cam bolts. I might just be over thinking this though. I called and it the order on hold till I figure this out. Oh and I would like to do the install myself if possible.

What did you go with and do you like it? Would you have dome something different. Of course pictures are always appreciated! :wings:

Thanks Jim

daveh

Adventurer
Take a look at the AEV 2.5". Definite improvement in ride quality, handling, and ability to carry extra cargo load.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412469974.036517.jpg

driftsafari

I agree with the aev.. although I did the 3.5" with 35s. Drives better than stock!! Would definitely buy again and recomend to everyone that asks.!

Easy enough to install yourself.

12b4f77d7a63c1ef5d60c1595b001715.jpg

toxicity_27

Adventurer
I'll be going to an AEV 3.5'' instead of my Rough Country 4". If you don't want to do the cam bolts, don't do them. You don't have to install them to complete the lift, it just helps to get the alignment back. Though I would look into a kit that doesn't use cam bolts.

sgregg108

Adventurer
Look at Metalcloak's dual rate 2.5" lift, great kit w/the ome shocks. Installed it in 2 says, no major /permanent mods. Just 2 holes drilled into the front bump stop pads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
2.5" Old Man Emu heavy rate coils and nothing else. Less than $400 and it rides awesome. When the stock shocks wear out I'll add Bilsteins. I currently run 285/75-17 Toyos. It's a good combo.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I have searched and haven't found the answers I am looking for.

What kit did you go with for your JK unlimited?

I want to lift no more than 2.5 inches and am looking to add 33's in the spring to replace the horrible stock tires that came with my 14 JKUR.

I just ordered a 2" BDS spring lift but after reading the instalation guide I really don't like grinding out the bracket for the lower control arm to accommodate cam bolts. I might just be over thinking this though. I called and it the order on hold till I figure this out. Oh and I would like to do the install myself if possible.

What did you go with and do you like it? Would you have dome something different. Of course pictures are always appreciated! :wings:

Thanks Jim

Jim, if your lift is only 2" you don't need the cam bolts. I would not use them anyways. that's just asking for trouble. I have a 2" teraflex lift on my JKU along with Upgraded ball joints, and Monroe reflex monotube shocks. My jeep rides better than stock, and handles better too. I am installing 19/60 springs as well as airlift in the rear for heavier loads.

If you find you need some caster adjustment, get the AEV or JKS drop brackets. But for 2" of lift on an unlimited, you should have no need for the brackets or cam bolts. I love how my jeep sits, looks and performs on and off road. Unless your hitting the rocks, I don't see needing anything over 2" You can fit 285s on it and have a very capable overlanding type Jeep.

I installed my lift in my driveway without even taking the wheels off. Just jack one corner at a time, and it all comes out to fit 2" in. works great.

mtnjp

Observer
I did the Teraflex performance lift. 4 replacement springs 1.5 in the front 1" in back. Very happy with it. IMG_1526.jpg

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Probably should have searched and asked BEFORE ordering the BDS lift, I have had to replace a few major BDS components on 2 friends' Jeeps and you can find documented issues online. For a JK I wouldn't put anything but AEV or OME under it, Teraflex would be okay as well.

Finatic Angler

Adventurer
I did some looking into BDS before I ordered. I talked to a few people who have them but they didn't install them.

The guy who owns the shop is a friend of mine. Once I saw the cam bolt issue I put a hold on the order and am currently leaning towards AEV right now.

Jim

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
How much lift did you get out of the hd coils?

I actually forgot to measure before I installed, but I'd say 2.5-3". There are 2 different spring rates available for the rears with the "heavies". I opted for the lower rate as I won't be running drawers or a double swing out etc. Call ARB USA in Seattle and their tech guys will get you the right spring rates for your intended load and use.

m(a)ce

Adventurer
I'd rec going AEV 2.5 with geo brackets.
OME is really good too but after having both I preferred the AEV kit.

nnnnnate

Adventurer
When you buy tires to replace your "horrible" stock KMs send the old ones down my way. I have a set of rubicon takes offs on now and have absolutely loved them. They have done great for me in the winter, on dirt roads and trails, and on slick rock while in Moab. I can't imagine why someone would toss great tires out the door if they were looking for a similar size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998