Jeep WJ questions

tizzdizz

Geologist
That jeep looks like a pretty good find. Good transfer case, nicely optioned laredo, and clean. Low mileage too!

mustangwarrior

Adventurer
i'm gonna try to go look at it this weekend, i'm going to look at another tonight right around the corner from my house at a dealer, no info about it online so i don't even know what motor or t-case is in it but its an '03, saw it last night when i drove by

mustangwarrior

Adventurer
pulled the trigger on one tonight, signed the papers and waiting on the loan to clear, i hate buying something the first time i look at it but i couldn't pass it up

'01 WJ Laredo, 47,000 miles, clean as a whistle, I6, select trac, 4 brand new tires, still have the nipples on the tread, only bad thing is there is a tiny exhaust leak, needs new hood struts, and the check engine light just came on

they wanted $8695, i got it for $8400, couldn't pass it up

juicexj24

Observer
Sounds like a great deal with low miles. Take it autozone or do the 3 turns of the key trick to get the code to flash and take the code to wjjeeps.com and look it up. Could be something very simple like a gas cap you never know. Enjoy.

theksmith

Explorer
congrats! 47k miles is awesome.

this thread explains the 3 key turns trick if you aren't already familiar, and i included a printable list of the jeep specific DTC codes that is handy to keep in the rig with your tools: http://offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=686

it very well may be a emissions code, and if so then is likely either the gas cap or the rubber hoses coming from the charcoal canister in the rear. look up above the rear axle against the inside of the "frame", on the driver side. there are 2 rubber hoses that come from the emissions junk (back in the bumper on the drivers side) and connect to 2 hardlines (which run up to the purge solenoid in the engine bay). anyway, right where the rubber lines connect to the hardline, they often crack or split.

mine's been thru a few sets of hood struts already. they are fairly cheap on ebay or other internet places, and quick to swap. the heat form the engine bay just kills them over time.

exhaust leak could be as simple as needing to tighten a clamp, or could be a broken bolt/stud on the exhaust header (which isn't a big deal really either). use a small hose with one end at your ear and point the other end around to isolate where the leak is coming from.

what color? post pics!

mustangwarrior

Adventurer
i'll have pics tomorrow, its gold with black plastics

i have a code scanner here at the house but the salesman was suppose to take care of it for me

as far as the exhaust leak, i physically saw it, its like a crack with a hole about a 1/4" in diameter on the 90 after the manifold, my buddy is gonna throw a weld over it for me temporarily

and they accepted my loan, 5.25% for 48 months thanks to my awesome credit score, lol not too shabby for a first time loan

tizzdizz

Geologist
That's awesome man. I have a thing for gold jeeps (first xj was a gold '89 pioneer). Sounds like you got a real cream puff at 47k! Congrats on the loan too. Pay it off and on time and it'll definitely help your credit even more.

mustangwarrior

Adventurer
here it is, 2001 WJ, 47k miles, I6, select trac, picked it up about 11 oclock this morning and put close to fifty miles on it today, rides really good

my plans are simple for the next two years, some interior mods, receiver hitch, lights and maybe a roof rack

DSCN2606.jpg

DSCN2598.jpg

DSCN2600.jpg

DSCN2602.jpg

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
When I bought my 97 last year(gold by the way) I was able to get 4%, but it is for a much shorter term and my credit union likes me. I could have paid cash but at that low a rate it was almost like free money, only paying $184 in interest for the loan. I still have my black ZJ but love the gold more, last week in Moab we could feel a huge difference in temp with the lighter color, never even switched on the A/C.

mustangwarrior

Adventurer
they tried to sell me a 3 yr 36k mile warranty, if i had bought it my payments would have went from $176 a month for 48 months to $196 a month for 60 months, essentially the warranty would have cost me an additional $3,400 and would have only been good for 3 years, what a joke

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
they tried to sell me a 3 yr 36k mile warranty, if i had bought it my payments would have went from $176 a month for 48 months to $196 a month for 60 months, essentially the warranty would have cost me an additional $3,400 and would have only been good for 3 years, what a joke

As plentiful as parts are for these are in the salvage yards there is no need for the extended warranty crap, plus you will likely never even have to worry about the drive train.

Booner

Observer
How many v8 WJ's have you owned or worked on? Great power but very unreliable. Have you owned or even driven a WJ with the 4.0, much improved over the 4.0 in the ZJ, has better flowing intake manifold and exhaust header from the factory.

Our 4.7 WJ has 278K on it (99), and has been owned by almost everyone in our family at one time or another. It is on transmission number 2, but the 4.7 is going strong.

JChatary

Outdoor Daydreamer
Nice find! I have a 2000 WJ 4.7 and I just rolled 200k on it! The only thing I wish I could change on mine are the seats. It was a great buy, but I could care less about a leather interior....I would much rather have the cloth seats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger