jeep xj gearing

hankimus

I'm sure this has been talked about before, but I'm gonna ask it again. I have a 97 XJ with a 4.0 and a manual Granny and 31s. Thinking about re-gearing. What gears should I go with? If I decide to go with 33s later down the road, will those same gears work? I was told the gears I have are 3.07s because of the manual granny, is that possible? Thanks for any advice!

Amauri

Explorer
4.10's, 4.56's might be too low with 31's but optimal if you went with 33's. I think you should decide how big you want to go first. Your grandma should be fine for now.

Steve F

Adventurer
4.56 will be too deep for 31's IMHO. I ran 4.56 with 32's and the auto tranny and I couldn't coast down hill on the freeway, without cruise control it was very tiring having to drive down hill and not getting an oppertunity to rest the ankle. I guess it does depend on the terrain you do etc. I now run 35's with 4.56 and it's great as it is a tourer (got a trip in September that will see me travelling for 4 weeks and 9000km) as well as a weekend weapon. If it was offroad only I'd go a little deeper. So, after saying all that decide if you want it for on road as well as offroad, your final tyre size etc and then look at gears.

Cheers
Steve

catfish

I would consider 3.73's or the 4.10 route.
It really depends on your future plans.
If you plan to go with larger tires and more lift later then plan ahead and get the 4.56's.

Gaucho919

Adventurer
4.56 is wayy to deep for 31's...
3.73 would be perfect for 31's
4.10 for 33's
I have 4.10's in my Comanche with 31's currently(4.0, nv3550 manual) and those gears are wayy too deep. 3.73's would be percfect

jeffy

Observer
For 31s, 4.10s could be done cheaply by buying a complete set of stock axles from a 4 cylinder jeep. You might get away with $250 or less.
Only the 2.5L Manuals have 4.10/4.11:1. The automatics have 3.73:1. I agree it would be cheaper and you'd have spares or else sell your axles and recoup some of that money.

PMA4x4

Adventurer
I am running a 96 Xj with 4.56s, 33s and an auto. I am considering moving to a manul and would still keep the gears I have.

I found if you have a lot of gear and/or towing a trailer with you go 1 step deeper in the gears. Mathimatically to match stock on 33s was like going to 4.27s so i went to 4.56 for more power.

Like others have said depends on what its primary use is. I think 4.10s with 33's and a manual is a good combo.

hugh

Observer
I am running 4.56,s on my 98 XJ with 35 BFG,s and it turns about 2300 rpm at 60 mph. In hilly area,s when I tow my homemade camping trailer I have to run 3rd gear and cruise will not hold, thinking of 33,s to bump the rpm,s a notch, should add about 700 rpm or so.

outdoors

Observer
my thoughts over the years.. choice manual 5-speed
4.10's 31's..
4.56's 33's...

I would rather run 33's w/4.10's... then 31's w/4.56's for an expedition XJ.
Remember you can always shift down another gear. 33x12.50's might make 4.56's a clearer choice..
good luck either way.

Last edited:

cocco78

Adventurer
Another vote for 4.10's. I ran 4.10's with a 4.0 and a 5 speed with 33's in both a XJ and a TJ and it was just about perfect for me. I would probably do 4.56's if it was more of a trail rig. The good thing about 4.10's is that you can pick up a complete 4.10 geared front D30 from a 4cyl Jeep and swap it in easily in your driveway with basic tools. I did this on my TJ, found a junkyard HP D30 from an XJ and swapped all my new TJ parts onto the old axle and bolted it in. I also spent $300 on a Ford 8.8 rear axle with factory 4.10's from an Exploder, and swapped that in. Even with buying some replacement parts, and the axle bracket kit for the rear, new CV driveshaft, brake lines, I was only into it for a grand and ended up better off than regearing my old axles, plus I sold the old D30/D35 for $250...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman