Jeeper's 2016 JK project

Jeeper4life

Adventurer
I ordered my JK back in July of 2015 and took delivery of it in September of 2015. My plan with it, is to keep it mostly stock, but yet slightly modified for travel on the Highway and light trail/ back road exploring. Kind of find a happy medium in there.
Here it is freshly loaded off the truck!

The lowest milage jeep I have owned!

The window sticker even had my name on it!

So I brought it home and parked it next to one of my CJ's

its a basic model sport, only options I added were the hard top, and auto (for my wife, heh) So one of the first things I did, was pick up a set of used factory rubicon rock rails

I threw on a fresh coat of paint

and mounted them up!

For some reason I like the Jeep factory accessories, don't ask me, just do! haha, so I picked up a set of grab handles!

hey they say Jeep on them!

I also picked up a rugged ridge CB antenna mount, which doubles as a flag mount for off road park fun

Here's what I use for a CB

Jeep doesn't provide an actual owners manual anymore with their new jeeps, you get more of "quick start guide" however you can order a owners manual free of charge and being the jeep nerd I am, I had too! I didn't realize it was going to be so thick!

It makes it kind of cozy having carpet inside, something my CJ's lack, so I picked up some factory mopar Jeep slush mats to help with snow, mud and other hazards.

I also added some mopar jeep door sill guards

Jeeper4life

Adventurer
I took it on its first little road trip to exchange some Jeep parts with a friend, I have say, it didn't feel like I was driving a wrangler to say the least.

Then a couple boxes showed up at my door... well the big one was for my JK, the small was a factory AMC jeep radio for my 81 CJ5

Whats in the big box you ask? This!

I chose JCR off road bumper because I ran one of their tire carriers on my old YJ and really liked it, plus they are local. It was between this bumper and the ARB stubby bumper, a very tough choice for me because I really like ARB products. But before all that, I added some "31's" to it, the factory tires were just so small and spun on wet pavement even. With the winters we get here at times, I knew needed something a little better so I went with these

Ok back to the bumper, primed it

and painted it, should make touch ups easy should it get scratched.

and then time to throw it on

using the web video for help!

now time for my warn!

there

Here's the poser shot of its current state

How about a driveway shot too?

So what are my plans for it? Like I said, i want to use it for travel around the US, and light trail/ back road exploring. Maybe even taking it up to Canada and poking around. I want to add a few more skid plates, Old man emu lift, slightly larger tires on a set of factory JK moab wheels I have, unless I can find a set of the new JK rubicon style wheels, would like to swap in a rubicon transfer case, and if I can find a good deal on it, a rubicon dana 44 front. I would then like to regear it, and add ARB lockers. I'm sure this will all take years to achieve, so I plan to use this thread as kind of a time capsule of it!

Jeeper4life

Adventurer
One other thing to add, it made its first Local Jeep event back in October called "jeep jam" here it is parked with some friends

They had some Mopar concept Jeeps there, It was neat to see the africa in person

I also liked the Military concept one also

My Son and I next to it

I'm a sucker for old Jeeps, so I had to check this out.

Jeeper4life

Adventurer
Thanks guys!

Here's a small update on Mr.Tank, hope to have more to follow soon.
I picked up a mopar Dana 30 diff skid for the front 30. I chose to go this route because it was really cheap, should be all the protection I need, and no measuring out how much diff fluid to add as most full covers have a higher fill plug.

And for the folks that say there will be clearance issues, there's plenty of room..

Added some decals

Also got a set of JK moab wheels, I plan to run these with a set of BFG KO2's and a heavy rated old man emu lift.

I was going to go to the badlands off road park March 26th until I saw this.. I canceled that trip and searched for a trans/ engine skid to add before I go.

Here's just some random's from the other day, enjoy!

pingzingr

2016 Jeep Wrangler in snow.jpg

Nice 2016 JKU Sport Tank...I just picked mine up in January and love it. As part of the purchase I had the dealer swap the standard wheel/tire with Rubicon wheel/tire. No major mods yet outside of door sill guards. First will be the rock sliders, then who knows when the boss (wife) will allow me to sink $ into bumpers etc :)

Jeeper4life

Adventurer
View attachment 334860

Nice 2016 JKU Sport Tank...I just picked mine up in January and love it. As part of the purchase I had the dealer swap the standard wheel/tire with Rubicon wheel/tire. No major mods yet outside of door sill guards. First will be the rock sliders, then who knows when the boss (wife) will allow me to sink $ into bumpers etc :)

Nice! Looks awesome, I would love to have a set of those wheels myself.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Great looking build! :beer:
Really like the front bumper.

fwiw: I picked up a reasonably priced oil pan skid plate that does a nice job of protection.
http://www.extremeterrain.com/more-oil-transmission-skid-jk-jkopsp.html
It was designed for the 3.8L, so the instructions and install kit are based on that engine. But the install is so simple, instructions really aren't needed. I did end up buying one bolt that was longer, but I can't remember where that bolt went (it's really obvious, and they may have updated the hardware for this issue).
If you are a member of Wrangler Forum, you can PM XTRyan, and get an even better price.
Hope this helps.
Looking forward to following along with your build up.

Jeeper4life

Adventurer
Great looking build! :beer:
Really like the front bumper.

fwiw: I picked up a reasonably priced oil pan skid plate that does a nice job of protection.
http://www.extremeterrain.com/more-oil-transmission-skid-jk-jkopsp.html
It was designed for the 3.8L, so the instructions and install kit are based on that engine. But the install is so simple, instructions really aren't needed. I did end up buying one bolt that was longer, but I can't remember where that bolt went (it's really obvious, and they may have updated the hardware for this issue).
If you are a member of Wrangler Forum, you can PM XTRyan, and get an even better price.
Hope this helps.
Looking forward to following along with your build up.

Nice! I actually ended up going with the JCR off road one, I have ordered it and I'm just waiting on it to get here. Super excited!

Jeeper4life

Adventurer
A little more updates on the Jeep here

I went and explored the HNF a couple weeks ago, something I have been wanting to do for awhile now. I have say it was a blast.

The Jeep when I got back

I added some more decals

Most notable, the old school "4 wheel drive" one

and my Indiana Overlanders decal, she earned it from what we ran into at the HNF

Before the trip I got my front diff skid on, and I'm glad too

It also made its first Friday Hooters dinner, Just my wife and I, but hey it worked..

I made sure to change the diff fluid in both axle after the trip because of the amount of deep water it saw, they seemed clean but just wanted to play it safe.

Since this is more of an "overland" vehicle I have started working on gear storage. I picked up these two rubber made tote's, they can be stacked like so, and then I plan to secure them with a bungee or something via the roll bar. Yeah they aren't anything fancy like you see on the built up Overlanding vehicles but it works for now

and lastly... the Jeep will be getting lifted! I picked up these Heavy duty Old Man Emu springs and shocks! I can't wait to get them on. Still need a few more items yet to complete it. But first I'm ordering a trans Skid..

Oh and here's a shot from the other day, the kids and I enjoying the nice weather

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Looks like HNF was a blast. :beer:

I like using totes and bags for camping gear. It makes unloading very easy.
We have the same water jug. 6 gallons and still skinny. Works great!

Septu

Explorer
So what are my plans for it? Like I said, i want to use it for travel around the US, and light trail/ back road exploring. Maybe even taking it up to Canada and poking around. I want to add a few more skid plates, Old man emu lift, slightly larger tires on a set of factory JK moab wheels I have, unless I can find a set of the new JK rubicon style wheels, would like to swap in a rubicon transfer case, and if I can find a good deal on it, a rubicon dana 44 front. I would then like to regear it, and add ARB lockers. I'm sure this will all take years to achieve, so I plan to use this thread as kind of a time capsule of it!

Two things. First off, it looks good. I like the tires. Secondly, light trail and backroad exploring and rubi transfer case, lockers and a D44 up front are really overkill for what you said you'll be using it for. Don't get me wrong - I've gone way overkill for how I usually use mine, but those are not exactly cheap upgrades. Just saying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78