Jeer Wrangler Banks Sidewinder Turbo

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I'd be fine with a bypass. Just use the piggyback, go back to OEM, and open up the bypass.

Then with better gas, switch back to boost.

That won't be that easy.
Banks uses a programmer, so fuel mapping is altered.
To much fuel and and still having the OE lambda sonde? This will cause difficulties.
Would be nice to check that out in advance.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Somebody just posted on another forum that Banks is offering a "tax day" sale and the kit is $500 off. Sucks to be me. As a friend of mine is fond of saying, "I pay retail, plus 30%."

Jack

very interesting- looks like a Spearco or Forge unit.
Why is he going that water/air cooled way??? There is plenty of space in front of the radiator...

Sometimes I have a huge smile- banks himself mentioned a while ago how important it is to have an unobstructed radiator- and now he is testing a unit with a winch mounted in front of the intercooler radiator???
Banks is either getting old or his engineers are getting confused.

mike3081

very interesting- looks like a Spearco or Forge unit.
Why is he going that water/air cooled way??? There is plenty of space in front of the radiator...

Sometimes I have a huge smile- banks himself mentioned a while ago how important it is to have an unobstructed radiator- and now he is testing a unit with a winch mounted in front of the intercooler radiator???
Banks is either getting old or his engineers are getting confused.

So are you saying having the intercooler placed there is a good or bad idea?

If the intercooler is mounted as an air to air intercooler the place in front of the radiator is very well choosen- if unobstructed.
I would love to see a bigger unit in the style Banks deliver like the Techni-Cooler units made for the Cummins engine.

The CRD Wrangler intercooler is ok. But as always bigger is better- same applies here.

I'm still wondering why he uses an water to air cooler. More parts to sell? The routing is still nice- short straight way from the turbo to the air intake- nothing wrong with it. Efficiency of water to air is about 4 times higher than air to air. I guess he is going for the "oommph" effect with short tubes and quick boost delivery.

But there is still the disadvantage of having the intercooler water radiator in front of the OE radiator and the A/C.

I do not understand Banks- in all other applications he promotes air-to-air intercoolers.
Why an air/water here?
Because of the low boost?

If I were him, I would use the CRD intercooler and going from there. Testing out bigger sizes. No wearing parts like a water pump. Just some hoses and tubes.

thewas4x

Sidewinder install

We just completed a Sidewinder install at the dealership on a customer's Brute conversion we did a couple of years ago. Random thoughts to previous questions and comments: advertised discounts are from the list price of $3278. Most online sites have it priced at $2950 or so. I spoke with a Banks rep in depth about hot weather use (Phoenix, AZ) long hill climbs, etc. He was confident with the performance of the fleet of "test mules" including Arizona.

Also, we figured out that it would be possible to modify the Banks "Super Scoop" (cut the lower portion off lengthwise) to work with the AEV Highline fender kit. We decided against it simply due to the style of the truck we were working on.

All of us really think the kit is a great value for the money. The install takes a bit of time if you do all of the baseline engine health testing and really want to keep everything clean. The only hiccups we had during install was a PCM that wouldn't communicate with the new handheld tuner, and an oil pan that decided to spit out a new gasket. The PCM was sent out and they reflashed it for us which corrected the problem. Out on a Thursday and back to us on Saturday. No complaints with service. The turbo really wakes the engine up, to the point that if we were doing the original build over again we would have not gone with as deep gearing. Our vehicle runs a 6-speed manual and 4.88 gears turning 37" tires. Forgot that the 4.0 has a rev limiter! We hit it a few times in testing. The turbo makes the upper RPM very usable if you need lots of power, and it still pulls through that range very quickly, where as stock engines seem to lay down in the high 3k range and run out of steam. At least mine does when pulling hills- 3800 RPM and hope to not get cut off in order to hold speed.

I have a few photos from during install if anyone has interest. Also took a video of the tach while we were pulling through the first three gears. Whole different animal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle