Jeff's Cargo Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
Thank you very much.
I finally found a window for the door. A very nice one at that. An 18" X 28" dual pane tinted.
So I pull the door to start the install and look what I found!
photo1.jpg

So I wound up rebuilding the door interior with 1X2 oak and filled it with rigid insulation.

Jeff

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
This window was made for a high end RV so the wall thickness it was made for was 1/2" thicker than the door.
So I made a trim ring/spacer and painted it satin black to blend in with the door.
photo6.jpg

Sorry, the picture turned out bad. Ipads need a lot of light.
Jeff

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
And here it is. When I redo the door with a metal frame, I think I will raise the window height so the side and top clearance is the same.
photo4.jpg

I am very happy with the way it turned out. Now I have to find someone to make me some curtains for all three windows.

Next on the agenda, I am adding a second battery and moving the two batteries to behind the rear axel to change the tongue weight.

Thanks.

Jeff

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
I am in the process of moving my business, so I was not in the mood for doing metal fab work and wanted the window in for So Cal Desert Rendezvous.
When I pulled the door skin, the way the original builders did the door framing is with two lateral framing members that the two hinges tie into and then everything else comes off of these members.
With 3/4" pine, and the bottom of the door rotted, there was just not enough structure there to do the reframing just to raise the window.
In a couple months, I think I will try and find a much taller window and reengineer the interior of the door using the same 120 wall 3/4" X 1 1/2" tubing.
For right now is was just a KISS moment.

Jeff

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
photo-2.jpg

Loaded up and ready for SCDR. Took a lot of work to get the Cruiser ready, but I think it will make it. I love the Landcruiser wheels.
Thanks to ddog45. He had the wheels, adaptors and drums. Life is good. Off to the desert.

Jeff

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Looks great... Though I agree on the pics from the gathering. Wish I could get time to get my heater and plumbing installed and working.

Don

-

BillyB

... So I pull the door to start the install and look what I found!
photo1.jpg

So I wound up rebuilding the door interior with 1X2 oak and filled it with rigid insulation.

Jeff

I had the same issue. Pulled the rear doors apart to apply a new inner skin, and discovered this:
image3.jpeg

And here's the new 'solid core' rear doors with shelf brackets:
image10.jpeg

I still need to do the front door, but waiting on a good window deal to fall in my lap. Let me know when you're ready to upgrade, and I'll take that one off your hands!

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
Thanks Mark.
I think what I am enjoying so much about the trailer is that it evolves every time she goes out. And now that I have switched to the Landcruiser as a tow vehicle, I need to make changes to accomodate.
I am starting to head towards taking some of the weight off of the tongue. I am going to extend the receiver 12" and relocate the battery to behind the axle. And then there is always the constant sorting out the storing of all of the stuff you bring and where and what to store it. Small changes to the storage on the interior. I might even change the diamond plate on the kitchen doors.
With this type of build, you can't just go check out someone's web page to see how they did it.

And life goes on.....

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179