Jelorian's 03 Z71 Suburban Build

rayra

Expedition Leader
Jelorian I'm sure you could find someone willing to swap racks with you. Fairly sure the mounting holes are the same.

Too, I haven't really been paying attention, but I think the LS/LT racks have been on the Subs in the auto wrecking yard. Been idly looking for a 3rd brake light and the racks seem to be there for the taking.

Tiki

Observer
Keep her alive I say!! Give her one more chance!

Thanks boll_rig. Been following your build as well. Good stuff!

One of the members here has that exact setup on his Tahoe. Looks great!

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...-RTTs-and-Accessories**?p=2148781#post2148781

I want to do something similar, but with the big Z71 racks I may be limited. I guess I could always get rid of it, as it sits much higher than the standard LS/LT racks. I don't have sunroof so I don't need to worry about covering/blocking it.

I hear you on the reliability issue and I can see how you don't want to drive her anymore. While I'm confident of making long trips around populated areas, I'm a bit anxious of taking her out into the desert/mountains and have the 10 bolt grenade on me or the fuel pump go out. Now I'm debating looking for a 2500 GMT800 Burb since it already has the 14 bolt and the 4L80E tranny or waiting for mine to go and do the swap then. I really haven't done much to my rig that I couldn't transfer over. The tricky part would be finding one with 6 lugs instead of 8. Ah...decisions, decisions.

Good luck getting her up and running again. Would love to see pics when or a build thread.

4L60e's and 10 bolts grenade-ing typically come with heavy amounts of user error or neglect/improper use. 2500s do not come in 6 lug applications and if your worried about the cost of new wheels, you should find another hobby (not trying to be rude). 2500s are a better starting platform but I think a lot of this is just about getting out there, and a 1500 will definitely do the trick!

Stock wheels are 17x7.5 and are often referred to as 17x8s.

Last edited:

justcuz

Explorer
4L60e's and 10 bolts grenade-ing typically come with heavy amounts of user error or neglect/improper use. 2500s do not come in 6 lug applications and if your worried about the cost of new wheels, you should find another hobby (not trying to be rude). 2500s are a better starting platform but I think a lot of this is just about getting out there, and a 1500 will definitely do the trick!

Stock wheels are 17x7.5 and are often referred to as 17x8s.

I agree about the G80, but my wife and daughter blew up three of them! 14 bolts do come in Escalades, Yukons and later Suburbans in the coil spring 6 lug flavor. As far as the trans, I have had good luck with fluid and filter changes every 12,000 miles. Everybody uses their vehicle differently though and most 4l60e transmissions that have died usually have over 100,000 miles on them.

Stryder106

Explorer
Hey Jelorian - got your PM, then found this thread with your rig in it. Nice job. I have a very similar underhood dual battery setup (isolated as well). For those asking about tire size, I have CST torsion keys in my Avalanche to level it up and it fits 285/70-17 on 17x9 no problem, could go 33x12.50-17. I want to go to a 35" tire, but am afraid to pull the trigger on a lift because my options are limited and I really didn't want to go any higher than I had to. Currently leaning towards a 4" rear with 6" front - but cut it down some to get 2" rear and 4" front. That may be my only option.

As for the 4L60E trans - I've smoked 3 of them - and it was not due to user error or improper use (unless driving downhill on a freeway at 70mph without a load is considered improper use). Finally found a trans shop who actually understood the GM design flaw with these and knew how to correct it (aluminum drum, steel shaft - heat up at different rates causing a gap allowing fluid to seep through to 4th gear clutch pack - bang). So, I have a completely new trans with all aftermarket parts in it (much beefier than stock) and so far so good.

squeeler642

THOSE AFTER PICS...

This is literally the EXACT look I've been wanting for my '03 Z71... got 225k miles on her now and I can't wait to see how many more she is capable of! Love the truck to death and really want to get into a little more serious offroading. Don't want to trash the ride and mpg's with a 6-inch lift (and break the bank by comparison) but I want it to have a little better attack/departure angles than stock.

Also I hate that the thing slumps forward right off the factory line. Buy a Ford? Level. Buy a Dodge? Level. I just don't get what's so hard about making level trucks that GM hasn't understood for the last 20 years? I've heard everything from aerodynamics to trailer braking power and stopping distance... I guess I just don't do enough of that to care!

Thanks for all this info and documentation. People like you make it really easy for others to push their own (in the works) projects through to completion!

Jelorian

Adventurer
Finally got around to doing the GMT900 front brake upgrade. I don't really have pics of the installation as it was late and I was trying to finish before dark. Here are a couple comparison shots so you can see how much bigger the GMT900 rotors are compared to GMT800.

You don't need to touch the rear brakes as GMT800 rears are better than the GMT900's IMHO.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Cool, If I never just did my brakes I would have upgraded to that for sure. I just dropped the keys off at my mechanic to come tow the burb to his shop. rotting brake lines are the order of the day here. Hopfully it won't be too hard on the ole pocket book. One good thing is that there are coated lines available now that stop the rot!

Jelorian

Adventurer
Cool, If I never just did my brakes I would have upgraded to that for sure. I just dropped the keys off at my mechanic to come tow the burb to his shop. rotting brake lines are the order of the day here. Hopfully it won't be too hard on the ole pocket book. One good thing is that there are coated lines available now that stop the rot!

I wish you the best of luck getting your Burban road worthy again. I know it must get frustrating dealing with a bunch of things that can add up quickly. I don't know how you guys deal with the rust on your vehicles up north. It would drive me mad.

I live near the coast and the moist air causes some surface rust but nothing like what you guys have to deal with.

The GMT900 upgrade is a significant improvement for sure. She stops on a dime now (relatively speaking). Great bang for the buck upgrade for sure.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Yeah it's brutal. I sold my F150 because of rot. It drove perfect. but the cross members were shot. another 4g down the toilet. I hope the burb is still in good condition!!!! Crossing my fingers.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
I have a southwest 2000 Sub K1500 and never had any problems with the spare tire winch. My 96 Sub K1500 spare tire winch rusted solid when I lived on the east coast. It's a great design for the dealer showroom, but in real life or off-road it doesn't work very well.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Makes me wonder if there's an aftermarket replacement or that there should be one, maybe executed in stainless.

rockauto has the dorman replacement spare tire carrier (winch and toggle) for $69.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=5408520&cc=1380327&jsn=556

Might be well worth it for those wtih balky mechanisms or salt / corrosion exposure to replace theirs and hose it down with a heavy grease beforehand. In fact I'd suggest slathering it up with heavy axle grease and wrapping it in a plastic bag. A little bit of preventative maintenance goes a long way. Especially when you need that spare.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Finally got around to doing the GMT900 front brake upgrade. I don't really have pics of the installation as it was late and I was trying to finish before dark. Here are a couple comparison shots so you can see how much bigger the GMT900 rotors are compared to GMT800.

You don't need to touch the rear brakes as GMT800 rears are better than the GMT900's IMHO.

Am I right in presuming that upgrade would require 17" wheels minimum?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Makes me wonder if there's an aftermarket replacement or that there should be one, maybe executed in stainless.

rockauto has the dorman replacement spare tire carrier (winch and toggle) for $69.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=5408520&cc=1380327&jsn=556

Might be well worth it for those wtih balky mechanisms or salt / corrosion exposure to replace theirs and hose it down with a heavy grease beforehand. In fact I'd suggest slathering it up with heavy axle grease and wrapping it in a plastic bag. A little bit of preventative maintenance goes a long way. Especially when you need that spare.
I think I replaced mine with something similar - no stupid secondary latch! :mad: It was the easiest "fix" I've done on my 'Burb. It is literally held in with one bolt. It took me longer to figure out how to remove the plastic sleeve (slotted screwdriver, very carefully) than it did to replace the hoist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman