Jerry Cans on a TJ

College Kid

Adventurer
Looking for info and pictures on how you carry extra fuel. I have a couple of Scepter cans and am trying to figure out the best place for mounting.

I am looking at modifying my rear tire carrier in some way, and I have also thought about the space on top of the rear wheels between the roll bars, although this would really only work with the top down due to the fumes.

It would be great if I could figure out a way to mount them on the side of the body.....maybe in front of the doors.

Next to adding a roof rack what have you come up with to carry extra fuel?

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
There are a couple of companies that make the little trays that fuel cans sit in, so if you are good with a welder you could do the rear tire carrier idea. I think Adventure Trailers is one of those companies, google will take you straight to their site.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
My advise.

Carry the fuel as far forward and a low as possible. Having cans behind the rear axle, on the tire carrier, isn't the best practice. It tends to affect the dynamics of the chassis too much. On the wheel wells would most likely be too high....100lbs of fuel plus mounts isn't anything to forget about. On the front fender isn't a bad idea if you can make a mount that makes you happy aesthetically. Jeeps are difficult to carry extra fuel in or on. I'm REALLY not a fan of roof racks because of vehicle dynamics.

I would only carry extra fuel when you needed it, I use cans that don't vent/fume and carry them directly behind the front seats as low as possible. Depending if you have short legs or not sometimes you can get cans to sit on the low part of the floor ahead of the step. Some people get freaked out having cans in the jeep....but I sit on the fuel tank in my Willys so it doesn't bother me much.

If you have a semi-modern jeep I would look into replacing the factory with something larger, generally the 'best' answer for a jeep with limited internal space. Its not ideal since the weight is behind the rear axle, but there are only so many options.

NOMADIC_LJ

Explorer
vic_rocks.jpg

If you place them on the back, make sure you get them high enough that it wont be an issue in case of an accident

On trips I usually bring one spare can, using the old Con-Ferr carrier. It's at the rear and away from everyone, weight is on the rear bumper/carrier (one can, so like 45 pounds), and it's much lower than if it were on the roof rack for center-of-gravity etc.

img_2748.jpg

A couple of more pics here.

It doesn't work with my NATO or Scepter-type cans since they don't have the bottom rim/lip like the generic US cans do.

ddog45

Adventurer
Check out the genright tanks if you dont mind spending some cash. I carry one jerry can and my co2 on a swing out garvin bumber.

College Kid

Adventurer
This is my build thread http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30269&page=5
I carry 4 secpter cans, 2 water and 2 fuel. I mounted 1 each in front of my doors and it works great for weight distrubition. The other 2 ride on the tire carrier.

Do you have any more pics of cans in those mounts on the front? That is exacty what I was thinking of doing. I am curious did you re enforce the inside or just bolt it to the body sheet metal? What sort of mounts are those?

dirtyboots

Observer
By the time you buy a gas tank skid, and spend the time to fab a mount (figuring out a decent place for it) or including the cost of a bumper system that can actually handle a 5 gal can - and buy a decent can, it shouldn't be that much more expensive for a Genright. It was one of my favorite mods though, it's just super convenient holding that much more gas, and it is built with a super beefy skid, not to mention even with the extra volume it has better ground clearance than stock.

Last edited:

wardrow

Adventurer
Do you have any more pics of cans in those mounts on the front? That is exacty what I was thinking of doing. I am curious did you re enforce the inside or just bolt it to the body sheet metal? What sort of mounts are those?
I got the mounts out of 4 wheel parts, they were like $30 for both. I took them to my body guy who sprayed them to match. I mounted them directly through the sheet metal. If you go this route, you will have to use the real big fender washers on the inside. I do not have any more pics at the time.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
When I had the 15 gallon tank (and a SBC V8) I carried 2 Blitz cans.

I incorparated them into my tire carrier.

jeeptirecarrier006.jpg

jeeptirecarrier005.jpg

They were fairly well protected by the spare tire.

Now I have a 20 gallon tank, so I only have one can.

In place of the 2nd can, I made brackets to hold my Hi-Lift, D handle shovel, and axe.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger